Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted a few weeks ago about my headlights being aimed high. The drivers side was shing up into trees. Car went into service for what was to be a simple adjustment. They called me to say both head light assemblies need to be replaced. They have to take the front end cowl/bumper of the car off to replace them. Seems odd that both would be bad. My guess was there must be some sensors that controls the auto adjust of the lights as they move in the housing. Dealer insist they are both bad and will be replaced. Hoping they are competent at putting the car back together properly and the issue was correctly diagnosed. Arghhh......

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
posted a few weeks ago about my headlights being aimed high. The drivers side was shing up into trees. Car went into service for what was to be a simple adjustment. They called me to say both head light assemblies need to be replaced. They have to take the front end cowl/bumper of the car off to replace them. Seems odd that both would be bad. My guess was there must be some sensors that controls the auto adjust of the lights as they move in the housing. Dealer insist they are both bad and will be replaced. Hoping they are competent at putting the car back together properly and the issue was correctly diagnosed. Arghhh......
Are these the stock, or upgrade headlamps?

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
Hoping they are competent at putting the car back together properly and the issue was correctly diagnosed. Arghhh......

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmmm. Any chance you can look at the assemblies in place under the hood and take pics? If the turn adjust system is pranged then it could make sense but I am about 12 years behind in headlight tech. There should be a couple mounting screws or bolts, then adjusting screws if fixed. The bumper may need loosening but probably not removal. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up the car today from the dealer Santa Monica Fiat Alfa Romeo. I am happy to report the headlights are now perfectly aimed. Much better night lighting than before. Upon close inspection i could not tell they had touched the car. All parts and pieces seem to fit as they had from the factory. The assemblies appear to be very well hidden in the cowl and there does not appear to be adjustment external to the assembly. When I signed their copy of the service papers i did not notice if they took off the cowl but there were costs associated to part and labor that was around $3000. Alot of expense for Alfa. They also did an update related to the adaptive cruise control.

The car was returned to me spotless and detailed as kt had just come off rhe showroom floor. In general for those questioning Alfa, this felt like a premium dealer experience.

I just love this car.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Hmmm. Any chance you can look at the assemblies in place under the hood and take pics? If the turn adjust system is pranged then it could make sense but I am about 12 years behind in headlight tech. There should be a couple mounting screws or bolts, then adjusting screws if fixed. The bumper may need loosening but probably not removal. Keep us updated.
You cannot see the headlight assemblies from inside the engine compartment. At the back edge of the fascia there is the radiator with panels to either side. I do not know if the panels are structural or just to force air to go through the radiator, but the effect is that the entire back of the fascia is closed off.

Removing the front fascia should not be an enormous ordeal, although there apparently are a lot of fasteners involved. Sometimes installing a PPF to the fascia is enhanced by removing the fascia so that the PPF can be wrapped around the edges. I think the bottom pan has to be removed first and I believe it alone has 19 fasteners.

$3000 for labor seems rather excessive for a job that should take a couple of hours at most. Perhaps the cost of the headlights was included? This labor cost is a concern relative to buying the MOPAR CF front grill, which requires removal of the fascia to install.

The European headlights have an "autolevel" feature. I do not know if the NA spec headlights use the same assemblies, but MacGeek pointed out that the rest of the autolevel feature is not present on NA Giulia (some websites state that bi-xenon headlights in the NA market are required to have autolevel). I do not know if a malfunctioning autolevel function could cause the O.P.s issue.

Autolevel has the potential to point the headlights straight into the ground when driving up a steep grade. I sure hope my car doesn't do anything like that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Here's a few pics of the headlight.

With the adjusters marked:

And no, autolevel does not have any potential to "point the headlights straight into the ground when driving up a steep grade". It doesn't point the headlights relative to the direction of the gravity vector. It uses sensors on both the front and rear suspension to determine what attitude the body has relative to the pavement.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
thanks MacGeek, for negating the nonsense.
of course someone will probably prepare a treatise on the the effects of worm and roller headlight adjustment vs .........

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Here's a few pics of the headlight.

And no, autolevel does not have any potential to "point the headlights straight into the ground when driving up a steep grade". It doesn't point the headlights relative to the direction of the gravity vector. It uses sensors on both the front and rear suspension to determine what attitude the body has relative to the pavement.
We will see how it behaves after I get my car and the road is opened. One of the problems with reactive headlights is that they react to where the car is rather than to what is ahead of the car and needs to be illuminated.

One forum member posted a picture of a dangling connector on his NA spec car, which you said is an unused connection to a suspension sensor for the headlights. That advice seemed to indicate that NA spec cars do not have autolevel even though I see some folks online stating that bi-xenon headlights are required to have autolevel in the USA.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Great as always MacGeek. Thanks! 8C's forever ;)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I was thinking the same thing! 17 years at the Boston Archdiocesan Choir School (Now called the Saint Paul's Choir School) as a Bass 1 clerk and I sang that a lot ;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have the bi-xenon option and they turn left and right slightly, but no auto leveling as far as I can tell ( if they are supposed too, then that is not working).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts