Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
EBC blue are also a good option. Little pricier than hawks at $240 set but basically reduce dust and last longer than OEM. Depends on driving style and how hard you track. QV brakes and rotors in general will not last long on any track so it’s pick your poison basically.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have them. $140 on Amazon. They are fine, nothing special or great performance wise (they are ceramics, after all). I bought them for dust reduction, which they accomplished.
I don’t ever plan on tracking. I do drive somewhat spirited though. I would assume their performance is at least on par with the OEM pads?

Do they help with the pad creaking and squeaking at low speeds or alter the pedal feel in any positive way?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I don’t ever plan on tracking. I do drive somewhat spirited though. I would assume their performance is at least on par with the OEM pads?

Do they help with the pad creaking and squeaking at low speeds or alter the pedal feel in any positive way?
They are very quiet and smooth. Fine for spirited driving also, imo.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found these guys too. Looks like Powerstop has a ceramic Z16 pad for the fronts and rears. And the price is great.

Fronts:

Rears:

Looks like the rears have a sensor wire. The fronts don’t seem to though. I think they have some kind of shim built into the pad.

Decisions... Decisions...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
A few of us bought the powerstop rears. I read somewhere the sensor wires for the rear won't reach on one side. I just ripped the wires out.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Is it not possible to use the oem sensors and wires?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The hawk ceramic fronts had no sensors. The powerstop rears did, but they weren't quite right and it's easy to just remove the sensors anyhow.
And no issue for the car if you run without sensors?
These are the wear sensors that tell you once you've hit the backing plate right?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
And no issue for the car if you run without sensors?
These are the wear sensors that tell you once you've hit the backing plate right?
No issues at all. It's an archaic single wire design. The "sensor" is just a wire that shorts to the rotor (ground) when the pad is shot.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
No issues at all. It's an archaic single wire design. The "sensor" is just a wire that shorts to the rotor (ground) when the pad is shot.
Good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I am not overly happy with the OEM front pads and the lunging at low speeds. The dust from OEM is also insanely more than my previous 2.0 visible as a fine layer after every drive.
I am in UK so Hawk is not readily available although Ferrodo DS Performance and EBC are. I could order from the US I suppose. How are the Hawks with brake noise and do they come with noise shims? How about dust?

I want the better than stock
stopping power driving spiritedly on the road (no tracking), low dust and much improved low speed bite both cold and hot. Which would you guys recommend between the Ferrodo DS Performance and EBC Yellow stuff (rather than Blue stuff which is the track/race compound). The Ferrodo one seems to come with wear sensor although am not fussed.

Neither is too expensive so I want the best performance all around compared to stock.

·
Registered
455 Posts
For me, using various pads, Hawk, custom CarboTech, Ferodo, and others on assorted cars, street and track, the most important feature of pads is their "modulation". Less dust is nice, although on my Quad, I have put wheel ceramic coating on the dark 5 hole wheels, so they rinse off easily. But on some cars, when I put ceramic pads on, the hard braking from speed was much less, so I took them off. I recently put Hawk HPS pads on new cryo rotors on a Mini Turbo, but they had a little squeak which my daughter did not like, so removed them and put on OEM pads.

On my Cobra it was easy to swap pads with the big Wilwood 6 piston fronts, so I swapped from "street" pads to track pads for track events. But most of all, I like a stable torque, and not a rising torque with pedal application, so I can have really good control of my braking on the track (which I no longer do) and the street. When it comes to pads, assuming a good selection, one has to chose between dust, longevity, cost, sensors, hot-cold friction, squeal, and modulation. For me, as above, stable, predictable stable modulation is most reassuring and what I chose.

When it comes time for replacement of my Alfa's pads, I will review the choices, and decide then.

Stay safe out there,..... NV

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
For me, as above, stable, predictable stable modulation is most reassuring and what I chose.
Thanks for the tips NV. I too need stable and predictable pedal modulation for normal road driving especially at low speed. The EBC Yellowstuff is dusty but less then OEM they claim. They had a sale and I have just ordered a set of front pads which come complete with sensor, noise shims for £100 inc. shipping which is about $122 so worth a try at that price. That is pretty cheap for a performance car pads IMO. If I don't like them I can remove and sell them on or save it for a trackday at Silverstone or somewhere else when things get back to normal. I will post some feedback once I fit and run them for a few hundred miles. I will need to remove the front wheel to fit some spacers to improve clearance from the uncomfortably close calipers and I will do the pads at the same time. It should be easy with the bridge bolt without needing to remove/loosen the whole caliper like the standard Giulia fronts of the QF rears.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Thanks for the tips NV. I too need stable and predictable pedal modulation for normal road driving especially at low speed. The EBC Yellowstuff is dusty but less then OEM they claim. They had a sale and I have just ordered a set of front pads which come complete with sensor, noise shims for £100 inc. shipping which is about $122 so worth a try at that price. That is pretty cheap for a performance car pads IMO. If I don't like them I can remove and sell them on or save it for a trackday at Silverstone or somewhere else when things get back to normal. I will post some feedback once I fit and run them for a few hundred miles. I will need to remove the front wheel to fit some spacers to improve clearance from the uncomfortably close calipers and I will do the pads at the same time. It should be easy with the bridge bolt without needing to remove/loosen the whole caliper like the standard Giulia fronts of the QF rears.
I ran EBC blue and they were super dusty. Maybe yellow is better?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I ran EBC blue and they were super dusty. Maybe yellow is better?
I asked EBC and they said yellow stuff is better for fast street and some light track use and it has Aramid with less metal so will be less dusty, most likely less that stock ones but with better friction. I will fit them next week and report back once I have a few miles on them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts