Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colder days are coming. Post photos of low temperature readings here.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
personal perspective & experience:

- labor day snow returning from CA across Montana and Alberta plains, Mazda RX2
- Victoria Day (may 19) loading GP bike with slicks in a big dump of snow in Calgary, hoping it would be melted the following day in Edmonton. it did melt on the track, but plenty of snow off, and darn cold. Nissan mini king cab
- another early September snow on a high Yellowstone pass. Saab Turbo
- a surprize snowfall closing Rogers Pass in British Columbia, one of the last cars through. Alfetta GT
- Halloween 2014 in Massachusetts after just moving here. BMW 328
- snow on two islands in Hawaii, but that was an attraction not a surprize. rental somethings

all on summer tires, none caused me to change tires early (or late), you just never know when you will get cold or warm weather, and you drive appropriately for the conditions.

the saab was the final convincing event for me that FWD is an evil communist plot, that should have never been used in eco boxes let alone real cars.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
This weekend driving in the foothills to the West of Boulder. We found snow at about 8,000 ft and it turned to glare ice a little higher.

Yes that's a real GTA. There is also a Giulia Super and my '72 GTV which you can barely see at the rear of the line. At one point I got stuck behind a plow! Thankfully everyone exercised good car control and returned without bending anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

I remember 2014. I was driving back from a rehearsal in Cambridge. Got to Newton heights in my Miata on Summer tires. Went around a little triangle very carefully but the grade was a little too much. Drifted slowly toward the curb but stopped with out hitting it. Got halfway down the next hill to Comm Ave and saw a 3 series BMW sliding backwards slowly down the next hill on the other side. He stopped before the intersection. I don't remember if I went up around him or turned there anyway back in towards Boston College. Cut through campus very slowly to avoid the rest of the hills in Newton and Brookline. Got home OK but it was scary. Not a lot of snow but pretty cold.It was early that fall, may have been a different year but October all the same. I am in PA on my summers now and they were fine on the trip. Trip back Monday should be good too. I didn't take the Ferrari because I originally planned to drive on Wednesday and it should rain again on Saturday Sunday. I'll take pics of the temperature readout on the Giulia when I get her. Soon... :D

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it was that year - hard to forget for people who had just moved from Santa Monica and were still in the Needham Marriot.
spent the "historic " winter in a temp rental on Commonwealth, close to Lasell College.

there's a silver 63 or so Ferrari tucked away in a garage about a block away

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Didn't take a picture and was driving a truck, but 14F in Hope Valley, California last weekend, 1AM.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I remember 2014. I was driving back from a rehearsal in Cambridge. Got to Newton heights in my Miata on Summer tires. Went around a little triangle very carefully but the grade was a little too much. Drifted slowly toward the curb but stopped with out hitting it. Got halfway down the next hill to Comm Ave and saw a 3 series BMW sliding backwards slowly down the next hill on the other side. He stopped before the intersection. I don't remember if I went up around him or turned there anyway back in towards Boston College. Cut through campus very slowly to avoid the rest of the hills in Newton and Brookline. Got home OK but it was scary. Not a lot of snow but pretty cold.It was early that fall, may have been a different year but October all the same. I am in PA on my summers now and they were fine on the trip. Trip back Monday should be good too. I didn't take the Ferrari because I originally planned to drive on Wednesday and it should rain again on Saturday Sunday. I'll take pics of the temperature readout on the Giulia when I get her. Soon... :D

Summer tires in winter suck!

I've pirouetted beautifully in both my Audi TTs in snow. Even quattro couldn't save them. The one in my Mk2 TT was through and around an intersection. I crapped my pants but I think everyone watching (ie those I missed) were equally scared and impressed...... Both our DDs now have two sets of tires.

worst ever was my Elise on Yokohamas AD07s. A bunch of misfortunes had me stuck in a small snow storm in it. The car lost traction at anything over 15 mph (even though its very rear weight biased) and it wasn't fun being that small with all the idiot drivers in the snow. That normally 10 min drive took 35 and probably a week off my life in stress.

Looks like by the time I get a Giulia we'll be working on posting the highest temps...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Awesome snow pic. No snow around here in the midwest yet, but I've got winters on the QV so I'm ready to rock and roll.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanx, This was after a 20 min drive in the storm, I just unlocked her before I took the pic, so You see the LED's in the handles glowing....:smile2:
15mins later I was heading back to Stockholm.... ~3-4 hour drive, luckily the storm was rather local, only 50 km or so...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm, now then? Sorry for spamming...
What Spam? I don't see any Spam. :laugh:

How cold was it there? Please share a picture of your car's temperature readout with a low number sometime.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
"I don't like SPAM!" :D Oh...my...God, that is an epic snow pic. And you have snow tires right?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts