Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my front brake pads on my Quadrifoglio and then realized that the stocks come with a wear sensor. The ones that i bought from Hawk did not come with a sensor. Is there a way to delete the sensor? My Brake light and service Brake system light is on now.... The sensor is a one wire system.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just unplug them behind the caliper (on the bracket). They are not needed if you periodically monitor your pad thickness visually....

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,287 Posts
mine has fallen out and is now dangling loose, but worse than that, the cable is severed

it has fallen out of its bracket and now severed just near where the two cables connect, but fortunately on the caliper side of the loom and not the internal car side

at least thats what i am assuming this loose cable behind my disc is - any thoughts ?

not getting any error messages

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
ok this looks like one end of what is dangling

what that would then plug into and which runs into the chassis is the bit that is dangling - it has severed right at that connection - on the pad side

could it have got stuck between the pad and disc ?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
there was a lot of chatter in early models about the brake pad sensor needing to be cable tied as it would come loose off the bracket, i guess mine was never cable tied - even though i did ask them to check for it when i went to change the oil

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just replaced my front brake pads on my Quadrifoglio and then realized that the stocks come with a wear sensor. The ones that i bought from Hawk did not come with a sensor. Is there a way to delete the sensor? My Brake light and service Brake system light is on now.... The sensor is a one wire system.

Any ideas?
If the wire is unplugged it should not set a code, it’s a very simple system and all it does it ground that wire when it contacts the rotors due to the wear, so theoretically it’s always unplugged.

there was a lot of chatter in early models about the brake pad sensor needing to be cable tied as it would come loose off the bracket, i guess mine was never cable tied - even though i did ask them to check for it when i went to change the oil
You can check if the repair was done pretty easily, I think it was an RRT, or maybe even a recall, but not sure on that. Anyways, if you take a look at the caliper from the outside, about the middle of the caliper on the section that is facing the wheel barrel, you should see a tie strap. I can get a pic if that helps.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Depends on your dealer, but realistically, pads should always be replaced in full sets, never separate or as pairs. Rotors will be fine.

Reactions: DEEZZ

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
details are available as part of a service bulletin, 005-004-17, third one down on EricVonHa's list

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1.../12986-technical-service-bulletins-tsb-s.html

now im wondering if i need a new brake pad to replace that severed wire, and if i do, do i get both pads? and if i do, do i get rotors as well? - as part of warranty, will find out on Monday i spose
Given the fact that a TSB/RRT was issued, and you ask them to check it, and they didn’t comply, they should do whatever is necessary and proper under warranty. Do you have a work order from that visit? Does it say they were to check for the loose brake wires and correct? Does is say what they found/did?

Even without that, you are in a strong position for all new brakes, with it, it’s a shoe in...:surprise:

FYI, this was a very early issue and was noted by Consumer Reports on their car, and resulted in the TSB/RRT.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
i reminded the bloke on the phone about it, he made no comment, all will be clear on Monday when i take the car in
meantime a local mechanic has cable tied the loose cable out of the way of the driveshaft, otherwise it would have to be towed - he commented that the other side was the same, cable out of its bracket

yep, will push for new pads on both sides

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone found a fix.

Literally brakes tripped all my lights. Using hawk pads. No wires with them. Tried a few things/hacks. No luck. Any ideas?

If you unplugged was it only the front? Was it after the car said service brake pads?

My light would come and go (service brake pads) but now all the lights are on. Car in limp mode.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
This sounds like it is more than just unplugged sensors. If the harness is damaged in any way, it could be shorted. Look on the chassis side of the connection. It should NOT be plugged in with a non sensor pad. Make sure the wires are separated and clean. If anything appears frayed or cracked, isolate the wires and tape them up to open the circuit.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
This sounds like it is more than just unplugged sensors. If the harness is damaged in any way, it could be shorted. Look on the chassis side of the connection. It should NOT be plugged in with a non sensor pad. Make sure the wires are separated and clean. If anything appears frayed or cracked, isolate the wires and tape them up to open the circuit.

Having same issue here. Did all 4 brakes. Wires aren't frayed etc.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts

Having same issue here. Did all 4 brakes. Wires aren't frayed etc.
8000000 different errors and limp mode. Switching back to stock pads and pulling battery didn't help. There goes my HPDE and $$$ for the weekend. Garbage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its Alfa proprietary BS!!!

Have to take care in so they can correctly bleed and remove error code.

Otherwise could get the Alfatel setup at 8K/year licensing plus the unit......

I've run Hawk and EBC bluestuff, will try blue again but almost used all in one day at Laguna....

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Its Alfa proprietary BS!!!

Have to take care in so they can correctly bleed and remove error code.

Otherwise could get the Alfatel setup at 8K/year licensing plus the unit......

I've run Hawk and EBC bluestuff, will try blue again but almost used all in one day at Laguna....
Seems like more than bleed issue. Service parking brake, service brakes, throttle control, active aero, power steering, dampers, atv, hill descent, auto high beam, collision warning, probably more. I'm not joking.

Btw I noticed the stock pads and images of kost of the aftermarket pads have like a 2cm x 1cm cutout in them, near the outer edge. Any idea what it's for? The gloc are missing that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts