Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’d love to hear someone’s impressions on this. I want to know if it will hold gears longer and drop down a gear with less throttle input.

When driving along normally the car shifts up at around 2,250 RPM. In dynamic mode, there no reason that the car shouldn’t shift closer to 3,250 under normal driving.

If you’re going about 15-30 mph, and you give it some throttle, the car doesn’t shift down. It stays in 3rd or 4th gear, unless you give it a boot full of throttle. Again, in dynamic mode, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be eager to downshift with just a little throttle input. Say 25%.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Not that I've heard of. I'd really like to hear from anybody that has.

Just for clarification, the AutoFlash is a transmission performance upgrade, all software.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
bump.

I'd like to hear about this, too. I read, in passing, someone say they have it, so hopefully they'll chime in.

$500 seems kind of heavy, but if it really makes the trans more aggressive...well, maybe.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
bump.

I'd like to hear about this, too. I read, in passing, someone say they have it, so hopefully they'll chime in.

$500 seems kind of heavy, but if it really makes the trans more aggressive...well, maybe.
Considering how important and integral to the experience of these cars the ZF is it could make a world of difference...

·
Vendor
1,220 Posts
I can't can't give you any personal experience with the Autoflash, I exclusively drive manual cars, but I can give you the science behind it.

Often times vehicle manufactures will limit the full potential of a vehicle to compensate for all levels of drivers and maintenance, or because the manufacturer knows that in 18 months they will be releasing a more powerful version of that vehicle and can adjust the limiters to allow for this power increase.*

So, the idea of the AutoFlash is to not only increase shift speed but to increase torque limitations throughout the gearing, except for 1st and reverse gears as we leave these at factory spec for safety, which in turn changes the speed of a shift. We also bypass the torque limiter at the same time.

This all turns into a smoother but more importantly harder and longer pull through the powerband.

Scott

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I can't can't give you any personal experience with the Autoflash, I exclusively drive manual cars, but I can give you the science behind it.

Often times vehicle manufactures will limit the full potential of a vehicle to compensate for all levels of drivers and maintenance, or because the manufacturer knows that in 18 months they will be releasing a more powerful version of that vehicle and can adjust the limiters to allow for this power increase.*

So, the idea of the AutoFlash is to not only increase shift speed but to increase torque limitations throughout the gearing, except for 1st and reverse gears as we leave these at factory spec for safety, which in turn changes the speed of a shift. We also bypass the torque limiter at the same time.

This all turns into a smoother but more importantly harder and longer pull through the powerband.

Scott
That sounds sweet. Lemme get one for $300! 0:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Guys in the BMW, Mercedes and VAG forums give a lot of positive reviews about these things... things like 'smoother/transparent' shifts... higher RPM's prior to shifting, and even better gas mileage claims... which makes no sense to me if you are allowing more torque by removing those limiters... the only thing I can think of is that perhaps somehow the computer is applying braking to limit torque, prevent wheelspin, etc...and that braking action reduces the overall efficiency of the car (?). I haven't been able to find a bad review yet anywhere for the auto flash.... i think that is also saying something, right?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Scott
That sounds sweet. Lemme get one for $300! /forum/images/GiuliaForums/smilies/tango_face_angel.png
Let me / us know the results please. I know that AutoFlash has been around quite a while, but I've never read any reviews for the Alfa yet, 4C and Giulia.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Let me / us know the results please. I know that AutoFlash has been around quite a while, but I've never read any reviews for the Alfa yet, 4C and Giulia.
Why you put pressure on me like that, man? :wink2:

I've got a Madness GoPedal+ coming tomorrow, so let me see if that addresses some of my dislikes regarding responsiveness.

I hear what's being said about AutoFlash, but I do wonder if, with the modest mods I've made to exhaust and with the MaxPower tune, if torque limits of the trans programming are really an issue. I mean, I'm not really slamming through the gears all that often, so I'm thinking shift speed is not that big a deal for me, so that leaves the torque piece, which I may not need.

Thoughts on that @MADNESS Autoworks?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Why you put pressure on me like that, man? /forum/images/GiuliaForums/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

I've got a Madness GoPedal+ coming tomorrow, so let me see if that addresses some of my dislikes regarding responsiveness.

I hear what's being said about AutoFlash, but I do wonder if, with the modest mods I've made to exhaust and with the MaxPower tune, if torque limits of the trans programming are really an issue. I mean, I'm not really slamming through the gears all that often, so I'm thinking shift speed is not that big a deal for me, so that leaves the torque piece, which I may not need.

Responsive feel has more to do with throttle response time and/or when the turbo starts to spool. The GoPedal will help as will an ECU tune. The exhaust mods will help as will intake work.

It's possible that the AutoFlash will help the torque converter to tighten up sooner giving a more responsive experience.

The factory set the torque limits (torque to the rear wheels) where they did to control wheel spin. Raising that limit could be a good thing, but only in certain circumstances.

I think that a mod, such as AutoFlash won't have a lot of effect until after doing the other things we've mentioned. Which is one reason why I haven't tried AutoFlash yet.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Reactions: K01N

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thanks for the links, I followed them all.

The first one goes to Facebook which I can't read because I don't have a Facebook account.

The second one for the Benz, I read the opening post and it sounded good. I've never driven the car, so...

The third link goes to the 4C Forum where I've spent a lot of time until I became a moderator here. I know DocRon and most of the other contributors and have learned to trust what DocRon says. It seemed familiar somehow, but said I wasn't subscribed to the topic. Then I see that I'm one of the contributors, in that I asked a few questions.

The forth link goes to a BMW forum and the car in question is not supported. But the guys seemed knowledgeable so I read on.

My surmised summary is that the amount of improvement is based on how poorly the TCM of that car was programmed. The better the car started out, the less room for improvement.

I also suspect that there's a more noticeable improvement while in the automatic shift mode, and very little noticeable improvement in the manual shift mode.

Changing the available torque to the rear wheels could be a large improvement.

Does it offer $500 USD (at Madness Autoworks) worth of improvement? It's a 'bang-for-your-buck' thing and I'm thinking it's not that good of ratio. Perhaps experiencing it would prove otherwise though.

·
Vendor
1,220 Posts
Why you put pressure on me like that, man? :wink2:

Well, the autoflash does more than just speed up the shifts. It also smooths them out and changes the rev limiter in addition to the torque limiter being bypassed. So even if you are not mashing the gears during a 0-60 pull you will feel a significant difference with the autoflash software loaded into the TCM.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Interesting reading; thank you.

I'm definitely intrigued. I don't know that I'm $500 intrigued, but I'll see after GoPedal+.
guy #1 who put lowering springs and "his steering is heavier" - ya, cuz you changed your Caster settings by dropping the car! Probably feels uneven when turning as well now.

I love the internet. LOL.

rjp

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Well, the autoflash does more than just speed up the shifts. It also smooths them out and changes the rev limiter in addition to the torque limiter being bypassed. So even if you are not mashing the gears during a 0-60 pull you will feel a significant difference with the autoflash software loaded into the TCM.
Any real numbers on the RPM change and the torque change? Before and after.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If they were $300 each (chaadster's offer above) I think more us would be willing to try it out. I was under the impression that the auto gearbox in Guilia's is already shifting pretty quickly but there is a claimed improvement of "Increase shifts by up to 24%" and it will also "Bypass throttle limitations".

There is also a statement that the unit is "not returnable", no refunds. Once you have flashed the car, it becomes associated only with you cars VIN and thats it. You can re-use it but only on the same car.

·
Registered
876 Posts
i agree on too big of the price, 250-300$ range would be much more reasonable though

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think all depends on how much torque is free'd up by bypassing factory limiters... if it is a bunch, and it *could* be with a twin-turbo'd V6, then it could more than pay for itself compared to how much it would cost to add the same amount of torque otherwise.

This kind of makes me wonder... when shops tune the ECU and get more Torque out of the engine, how does this translate to the dyno if the TCU still (supposedly) employees hard limits? Can the ECU send over-ride commands to the TCU? Is the limit some kind of dynamic 'Percentage limiter' that prevents ~15% of any amount of torque from being delivered to the wheels? How does this work?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts