Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Even though both the Stelvio and the Giulia had no issues with reliability, he still rambles on about perceived reliability fears .... I have had my QV for 9400 miles with no issues and it is a daily driver and I enjoy it every day. I believe most people who buy Alfas have a passion for the cars and find most other cars boring or soul-less. I have had two other excellent BMWs (M3 and 540I), and neither one of them inspire to get out and have fun and drive like the QV does. If you're scared, buy a Corolla, but sometime you have to put on your "Big-Boy" pants and buy a real car ...... I've never regretted it ....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for sharing the review.
Always nice to read/hear what others have to say.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but I feel one should have a real opinion for it to count.
In my view this fellow is not sure what he thinks about the car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What a jerk! He's probably a hypochondriac waiting for the sky to fall to end his miserable life. Go buy a Toyota.

Reactions: JRPy and Alfaholico

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like he wanted to publish a scathing cirticism but QV spolied it for him by not allowing him to do so …

Even though “car never stuttered” is “fantastic to drive”, its “a focused performance machine” with “handling …sharper than Don Rickle’s wit”. “Not only is it pretty” it has “wonderful brakes” and “steering that’s …direct and responsive”.

He somehow managed to make it about perceived reliabiliy.
His mind was already made up and even though the car did all of the above, unfortunately it could not open a closed mind :(

The Truth About Cars – yeah right!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've read Tim Healey's stuff from time to time over the last few years. Comes across as an opinionated hack from whom you are not going to learn anything much useful, like a Jalopnik writer pretending to be a respectable journalist. He's shown animosity towards Alfa from before the Giulia was on the market. One of those writers who only has an audience because of the internet.

·
Registered
231 Posts
it is not so bad as Autoguide (bunch of millennials) car of the year review.
so we have
base Impreza
Camry
Accord
Stinger 4 cyl one
QV (Alfa sent QV to them instead of base or TI)

Alfa got beaten in all categories including handling/chassis/engine, Honda 2l turbo engine apparently is better than QV v6 turbo LOL and so on.
I was laughed my tail off when they said something like - well it is Alfa so it will probably (!) fail and will brake and so on. And later they said - Kia is car u lease and forget/throw away BUT! this one is different, seems like they sure about that.
Every time they show their faces during the drive all looked terrified, they probably didnt even reach 50% limit of the car.
Never seen such BS

·
Registered
460 Posts
Another thing, the Alfa reliability trope is a mantra repeated ad nauseam by people who apparently have no real knowledge or experience with Alfas; they are simply echoing one another, like shoddy historians who reference other shoddy historians as sources, and if tracing a claim back far enough, one finds it likely has no basis, but the shoddy historian will rest on the reference as authoritative regardless.

I can speak from experience that, properly maintained, '70s and '80s Alfas were perfectly reliable. Supposedly there were issues with factory build quality (I had never bought one new from that era so I wouldn't know from experience), but that was pretty much the norm for most makes of that era. Regardless, that's pretty irrelevant to a car being made today; it's like saying you would be suspect of a Ford Fusion because Tempos were such complete cr*p, with Grenadas not being much better. Irrelevant to today.

Non-U.S. Alfas of the Fiat era are a mixed bag reputation-wise, with the 155 and 156.1 seeming to invite smirking insults, but the 156.2 and 159 seem to usually receive praise. I looked at some objective warranty-based stats and those Alfas were equal to, or slightly better, than their BMW counterparts. Most people here probably saw that UK CAR rating that had Alfa as #5 in reliability, the one non-Japanese in the top five, the one non-Asian in the top 6. This would seem to be based primarily on the Giulietta's record, but it's still relevant.

At any rate, the point of this ramble is that there is no reason to even bring up reliability of a new Alfa other than: 1) these are new platforms/models so can reasonably be expected to have some teething pains, as would any make (valid concern, but never the one mentioned); 2) you've no real knowledge of your subject, need something to write about, so you play to the expectations of an audience equally uninformed and biased as yourself.

... I've never once seen one of these hacks discuss the questions of Alfa's reliability using any kind of objective data or analysis. I assume because they are lazy hacks, but for the sharper among them, they probably realize that an objective analysis would ruin the easy-to-sell narrative, so why go there.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Another thing, the Alfa reliability trope is a mantra repeated ad nauseam by people who apparently have no real knowledge or experience with Alfas; they are simply echoing one another, like shoddy historians who reference other shoddy historians as sources, and if tracing a claim back far enough, one finds it likely has no basis, but the shoddy historian will rest on the reference as authoritative regardless.

I can speak from experience that, properly maintained, '70s and '80s Alfas were perfectly reliable. Supposedly there were issues with factory build quality (I had never bought one new from that era so I wouldn't know from experience), but that was pretty much the norm for most makes of that era. Regardless, that's pretty irrelevant to a car being made today; it's like saying you would be suspect of a Ford Fusion because Tempos were such complete cr*p, with Grenadas not being much better. Irrelevant to today.

Non-U.S. Alfas of the Fiat era are a mixed bag reputation-wise, with the 155 and 156.1 seeming to invite smirking insults, but the 156.2 and 159 seem to usually receive praise. I looked at some objective warranty-based stats and those Alfas were equal to, or slightly better, than their BMW counterparts. Most people here probably saw that UK CAR rating that had Alfa as #5 in reliability, the one non-Japanese in the top five, the one non-Asian in the top 6. This would seem to be based primarily on the Giulietta's record, but it's still relevant.

At any rate, the point of this ramble is that there is no reason to even bring up reliability of a new Alfa other than: 1) these are new platforms/models so can reasonably be expected to have some teething pains, as would any make (valid concern, but never the one mentioned); 2) you've no real knowledge of your subject, need something to write about, so you play to the expectations of an audience equally uninformed and biased as yourself.

... I've never once seen one of these hacks discuss the questions of Alfa's reliability using any kind of objective data or analysis. I assume because they are lazy hacks, but for the sharper among them, they probably realize that an objective analysis would ruin the easy-to-sell narrative, so why go there.
This needs to be framed and pasted in the front page.
I've had enough of this reliability crap.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Terrible review and even worse comments below article. Love giulia and don’t worry about reliability at all; that’s what the warranty is for ��

·
Registered
13 Posts
Even though both the Stelvio and the Giulia had no issues with reliability, he still rambles on about perceived reliability fears .... I have had my QV for 9400 miles with no issues and it is a daily driver and I enjoy it every day. I believe most people who buy Alfas have a passion for the cars and find most other cars boring or soul-less. I have had two other excellent BMWs (M3 and 540I), and neither one of them inspire to get out and have fun and drive like the QV does. If you're scared, buy a Corolla, but sometime you have to put on your "Big-Boy" pants and buy a real car ...... I've never regretted it ....
It's just difficult to describe the feeling I get every time I start my 2.0 Giulia. I can be having the worst day of my life and all melts away when I look at her, but more importantly, what I feel when I put her through her paces. In a word we become "one".

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,439 Posts
It's just difficult to describe the feeling I get every time I start my 2.0 Giulia. I can be having the worst day of my life and all melts away when I look at her, but more importantly, what I feel when I put her through her paces. In a word we become "one".
I get that feeling too. I have a shitty work day, hop in the car at 7pm to head home after a long day, looking forward to fun drive to make me forget all my problems; and then 5 minutes later I hit traffic and that's that.

The few times I've worked till midnight were great though bc I got home in half the time lol

·
Registered
560 Posts
Such a terrible review, like did this guy even drive it?! "stiff in all modes" what?! Its so comfy in soft and even mid settings, and just the rest, ahhhhh!!! Reading this review kind of boiled my blood a bit...:mad:

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,439 Posts
Such a terrible review, like did this guy even drive it?! "stiff in all modes" what?! Its so comfy in soft and even mid settings, and just the rest, ahhhhh!!! Reading this review kind of boiled my blood a bit...:mad:
I think this calls for going for a drive to cool off 😈

1 - 19 of 19 Posts