Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experience that upon a cold start up, when you drive off the very first shift from 1st to 2nd is very harsh and jerky?

Everyday, I back out of my garage, begin to drive off and the first shift and only the first shift is really harsh. Everything else is fine. It happens if I let the car warm up, or if I don't. Doesn't matter what DNA mode I'm in either.

I have January build Ti with about 1800 miles on it. It's always done it. I've had a recent series of updates that have fixed every issue that I've ever experienced. But this one remains. And it only seems to do it after the car has sit for a very long time. So i usually notice it most in the morning.

If you know of an update or have a suggestion, I'm all ears. Love to know what I should tell my dealer tech if anyone has had this and gotten it fixed. Otherwise though, this car is great. The updates have fixed the annoyances. And it feels solid and almost German! Except better!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happens to me. The only way to alleviate (not rectify) is to start the car in A mode and warm up the car until you see the 1st oil gauge bar light up.
Ya I've been trying that this week, and it doesn't seem to make a difference on my car. Hopefully, we get another update. It only does it that one time per day, so it's totally a low priority compared to the other things people are experiencing. Thanks for the insight though!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I experience the same thing. I'm skeptical that it is 1st gear however. When I back out of the drive way, put it in M2 (manual mode) the same jerk upon that first cold start acceleration happens. Unless its fake shifting or refusing to start out in m2. I know for sure that the car will generally start out accelerating in M2, if you command it to, without issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same issue on my car. I've tried really light acceleration, but generally it still does it. I'm going to experiment with the different modes and see if anything alleviates the issue.

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Going to the dealer next week for the cold start and idle problem. I got a feeling I'll be told it's normal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the same thing in my Ti. Acts exactly like the 8 speed auto in my former 2015 Corvette so I'm sort of used to it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Service bulletin was issued to the dealers on July 13th and its code is RRT 17-057 for the transmission and transfer case.

The flash is for: Transmission shift and driveability enhancements which reprograms your Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Unfortunately, I already had this update and it didn't help this particular problem. Do we know if it was specifically supposed to help this problem or was it addressing some other things?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Its supposed to address low rpm jerkiness people sometimes experience. But in a broader scope, we need to realize that these updates are only computer code and no hardware changes come from it. So at the end of the day, the transmission (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission) will have certain characteristics and feel (like the rough 1st shift on cold start perhaps) and all the updates in the world will probably not rectify the issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its supposed to address low rpm jerkiness people sometimes experience. But in a broader scope, we need to realize that these updates are only computer code and no hardware changes come from it. So at the end of the day, the transmission (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission) will have certain characteristics and feel (like the rough 1st shift on cold start perhaps) and all the updates in the world will probably not rectify the issue.
I was just wondering RRT for low RPM jerkiness was the auto start/stop issue. That problem I did have but is fixed now. End of the day the it's not a big deal, unless it turns into an every shift type of issue.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've noticed an occasional "jerk" after cold start and initially moving forward. Honestly, I just accepted it as a wart of the car. As long as it's not a sign of something worse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yup, everyday whether it's cold or warm. I bought in March & was hoping it was due to cold weather but still happens in summer. I'll ask since I'm in the shop every other week lately. I also have my first oil change/maintenance due...so happy it's free cause I'm gonna be an pia. I worked for a dealer, the more you complain, the more you get! I have never brought a car back to dealer for problems more than twice in 5 years. I have now beat that record...5 times in 4 months. Thankful that everything is covered so far! Shouldn't complain till the warranty is up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Exactly right, my f36 BMW has the same transmission it used to do the same thing too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts