Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that you have to run the volume at almost its maximum setting when you are listening to the radio? The maximum number on the scale for volume is 38, and I typically have to run it somewhere around 33. But when I play an iPod via the USB port the volume is really loud at much lower settings. It's just the radio that lacks volume.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree completely with your assessment, and find this quite frustrating. Why the max volume is number 38 makes no sense either. It's like the safety engineers decided what was too loud was limited by that setting.

I think the Harmon Kardon system actually sounds pretty good at the max volume setting of 38. It is really disappointing sounding at a level somewhat below that. Do you have the same perception?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I usually only have to run it around 25 or 26, and I'm half deaf from wearing headphones at work my whole life. I have noticed since I turned off the speed sensitive volume setting, it has gotten louder. Also, you can adjust the volume for aux devices in settings to boost them, so maybe yours is set to high and that's way your iPod is so much louder.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,092 Posts
I usually only have to run it around 25 or 26, and I'm half deaf from wearing headphones at work my whole life. I have noticed since I turned off the speed sensitive volume setting, it has gotten louder. Also, you can adjust the volume for aux devices in settings to boost them, so maybe yours is set to high and that's way your iPod is so much louder.
Does the aux devices volume setting also affect USB devices?

I found volume was too low when connecting my iPhone via Bluetooth (I never did get it to work plugged into a USB port). It has been fine for radio and a USB memory dongle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree completely with your assessment, and find this quite frustrating. Why the max volume is number 38 makes no sense either. It's like the safety engineers decided what was too loud was limited by that setting.

I think the Harmon Kardon system actually sounds pretty good at the max volume setting of 38. It is really disappointing sounding at a level somewhat below that. Do you have the same perception?
You might want to check out a different thread that I started a couple of weeks ago regarding how to adjust the HK system. After I made the tweaks that I described in that thread I think the system sounds pretty good at all sound levels. It's not super great, but is passable. It sounds totally different (better) with a USB connected device vs. the radio.

But the issue that I am pointing out with this thread is that it is impossible to play the radio really loud. It just cannot generate that much volume.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried changing the setting for the aux devices, but it did not help with the lack of volume with the radio. It was initially set to zero anyway.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I agree completely with the assessment that the internal radio volume cannot be raised nearly as music from my USB or blue tooth phone. Some calibration issue I think.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Does the aux devices volume setting also affect USB devices?

I found volume was too low when connecting my iPhone via Bluetooth (I never did get it to work plugged into a USB port). It has been fine for radio and a USB memory dongle.
There is a separate volume control for bluetooth. I had the same issue. Bluetooth was really low. Thought I needed to adjust the volume on my iphone, but that didn't help. Then I figured out when the bluetooth is on there is a way to adjust it's volume separately - but I think I discovered it when I was using the phone on bluetooth. I know..not super helpful, but the short answer is no, the aux devices does not set the bluetooth volume. And it took trial and error to figure it all out. Much like Apple, the Alfa does not come with many directions.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Curious

My volumes are fine on Bluetooth and Radio and Media and Navigation....I usually listen to Sirius at 18 !!! Others have stated 38 !!! Something needs correction....D

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,092 Posts
There is a separate volume control for bluetooth. I had the same issue. Bluetooth was really low. Thought I needed to adjust the volume on my iphone, but that didn't help. Then I figured out when the bluetooth is on there is a way to adjust it's volume separately - but I think I discovered it when I was using the phone on bluetooth. I know..not super helpful, but the short answer is no, the aux devices does not set the bluetooth volume. And it took trial and error to figure it all out. Much like Apple, the Alfa does not come with many directions.
Interesting, because my phone volume was initially way too loud (ditto navigation). Weird that music would be the opposite?

·
Registered
787 Posts
38 is a arbitrary number they could have made it 500 it's just to give the user a reference, the volume is based on voltage level of the input and the amount of gain in the amp.
I have plenty of volume off my USB drive and radio. You need to turn off speed volume in the audio menu, and raise the volume of you source if you can ( if it distorts - back off till its clean).

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
38 is a arbitrary number they could have made it 500 it's just to give the user a reference, the volume is based on voltage level of the input and the amount of gain in the amp.
I have plenty of volume off my USB drive and radio. You need to turn off speed volume in the audio menu, and raise the volume of you source if you can ( if it distorts - back off till its clean).
I have tried adjusting the speed control, but is does not fix the disparity of volume levels between the radio and a USB connected device. It is the radio volume that is ridiculously low. As I said in my original post, the volume with the radio is so low that you have to run it toward the maximum level.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Believe you

Certainly believe you but something is not right with your unit.....I have a 2017 Ghibli S also and the SAT NAV needed a dealer update.....All good after that....Hope that helps...D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stopped by the dealer today and listened to a car in the showroom that had the HK system. It is the same as mine when it comes to volume when listening to the radio. You have to run the volume toward the high end to get adequate sound, but that same volume is way too high for media plugged into a USB port.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I stopped by the dealer today and listened to a car in the showroom that had the HK system. It is the same as mine when it comes to volume when listening to the radio. You have to run the volume toward the high end to get adequate sound, but that same volume is way too high for media plugged into a USB port.

Same with mine. I've experienced this before in other cars and chalked it up to inferior sound quality and data coming from the radio antennas. I do notice that the satellite radio is much louder with better quality, the best being media through USB or Bluetooth.

I don't know how you could fix this other than a customized amp setting for volume (through software update) while specifically in radio mode OR a receiver that processes fm radio signals better. Likely it's just crappy hardware with respect to the radio.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same with mine. I've experienced this before in other cars and chalked it up to inferior sound quality and data coming from the radio antennas. I do notice that the satellite radio is much louder with better quality, the best being media through USB or Bluetooth.

I don't know how you could fix this other than a customized amp setting for volume (through software update) while specifically in radio mode OR a receiver that processes fm radio signals better. Likely it's just crappy hardware with respect to the radio.
That's a bummer if you're right... :-(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.