Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, I think I have no bass coming from the back or subwoofer on the harman kardon does anyone have a diagram or photo of where each speaker is so I can listen to them. When I throw the sound fading to the back only there is basically 0 bass. Only coming from the front door speakers when I move it to the front. Rear tweeters still working.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, for sure the rear sub isn't working i'll check the door mid ranges, guess to the dealer I go, it's such a PITA here in LA, they are always "booked"

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here's a question for you guys.... I want to go to the dealership and listen to their cars on the lot to see if they sound as crapy as mine. I can't tell if my amp has been blown due to the windows being tinted (dealership did it to all cars on the lot)...

I really don't care for my dealership; so far they have proved to be totally incompetent, but the next closest Alfa dealer is a 6 hour drive, so I'm pretty much stuck with these guys. Would you guys go and check out the cars?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
They (HK equipped Giulias) will all sound the same..."crappy". Save yourself the trip.

When I was shopping for my car, I listened to a HK equipped Giulia and was completely shocked on how bad it sounded. I remember even telling the salesman exactly this "wow this sounds like crap" and he looked at me with a surprised face. We then had to see other cars because I just figured there was something wrong with that car and sure enough, ALL the HK equipped cars sounded the same. I opted not to buy the HK system because the base system for me sounded better.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Aren't there speakers at the base of the "A" pillar on the dash in the corners ?
Don't see them mentioned in the manual diagrams listed above....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
They are in the illustration but not described in the text....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
In any event...why not just upgrade the speakers.....??

My understanding is that the speakers are crap....

·
Registered
473 Posts
In any event...why not just upgrade the speakers.....??

My understanding is that the speakers are crap....
In my opinion there is a lot more wrong with the system than just the speakers. I'm shocked that HK would actually put their name such a terrible system. Because of this experience I will forever be wary of any car that has an HK system.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
Or just ditch the thing; saving 15 pounds will improve your 0 to 60MPH time by 0.02 seconds or so...

Speakers are easily damaged; perhaps the system works fine in HK's lab but isn't making it intact into your Giulia?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If we go back to our buddy JeffShul, he did a gonzo makeover to the system ($20 K worth according to him) and he said the speakers were ridiculously cheap paper style speakers....I suggest the speakers because I don't want someone fiddling around too much...simple plug and play and maybe the sound would be acceptable.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for saving me 900.00 on this option, I am pulling this option off of my build sheet. I don't hear that well anymore anyway, spent too many years at the range.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If we go back to our buddy JeffShul, he did a gonzo makeover to the system ($20 K worth according to him) and he said the speakers were ridiculously cheap paper style speakers....I suggest the speakers because I don't want someone fiddling around too much...simple plug and play and maybe the sound would be acceptable.....
Pretty much all stock systems have paper style speakers these days and even previously. I run mine in Surround Sound mode, just because, but if I'm being completely honest with myself, the system sound better with the Surround option turned off. You may want to try it that way yourself. To me, the front stage is much better in the off position. BTW...my car just had an amplifier, among other things, software update last week. Was contacted by Alfa about scheduling it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It's all a matter of opinion, I find the HK better than Bose, and one of the best sound in a car. Hi quality source (flac, 320 mp3) sounds great with natural bass, not one note booming. But I listen to acoustic instruments-jazz and I want definition not boom and I don't have to impress other cars at a stop light, the volume is fine if the input level is.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's all a matter of opinion, I find the HK better than Bose, and one of the best sound in a car. Hi quality source (flac, 320 mp3) sounds great with natural bass, not one note booming. But I listen to acoustic instruments-jazz and I want definition not boom and I don't have to impress other cars at a stop light, the volume is fine if the input level is.
I would agree that the HK system can sound really good with acoustic instruments-jazz. I just wish that it sounded good with everything else.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
maybe the factory speakers were selected with opera rather than rap/techno?
speakers really are the most important factor in sound, a truly terrible amp is a rare thing.
speaker break in is a bigger factor on some, I would first wait, then do speakers, and only if that accomplished nothing, go farther.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts