Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Hard Upshift in D mode w paddles

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RogerMurdock 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed that while in Dynamic mode under hard acceleration using paddle shifting or the gear selector the transmission shifts "hard". It feels like a slight delay between gear changes and when the shift occurs, there is a jolt to the whole car. I keep the pedal down while shifting, should I be letting up between shifts? It is super smooth on the up shift in N and D when letting the car do it in "auto" mode. Down shifts in all modes are super smooth as well. I know d mode is more aggressive but it feels like something might be wrong. The dealership verified all rtts are done. Thanks everyone.

#2 ·
Yes, no-lift up shifts at or near redline in Dynamic mode with the paddles are on the firm side.There is a definite "jolt" feeling. It's all due to the transmission control module programming. This is normal. If you don't like it, then feel free to lift up on the accelerator pedal during the up shift. Doing so will be slower, but it is a more mechanically sympathetic approach.

#3 ·
It's a feature, not a bug. Just like a speed shift in a manual car it offers the fastest acceleration. For comfort use Natural mode.

#5 ·
I know exactly what you are talking about. The quad certainly doesn't leap into gear on hard acceleration. More often than not this leads to a bit of wheel spin into gear. Obviously Dynamic mode sorts this out, but Race mode you are the creator of your own destiny. Depending on ambient temp and time temp, this makes for some seriously pointless fun slides into multiple gears.

I love this car!

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone . I think the car is just so smooth on upshifts and downshifts, that you don't really feel the gear engage. Dynamic mode is more aggressive, perhaps the jolt is a byproduct of the speed of the shift being commanded.
Is it better technique to lift off the gas briefly during manual upshifts for spirited driving?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.