Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ti Q2 and when in dynamic mode the downshifts using the paddles seem very harsh. There is a heavy thud and the whole car jolts. Is this normal? Upshifts are smooth and this also does not happen in Normal or Advance mode.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a Ti Q2 and when in dynamic mode the downshifts using the paddles seem very harsh. There is a heavy thud and the whole car jolts. Is this normal? Upshifts are smooth and this also does not happen in Normal or Advance mode.
i drove a q2 in dynamic mode recently. i was eager to see how much better the box would be than the zf 6sp in my late model jaguar xkr. i was shocked that the alfa seemed so clunky and did not rev match nearly as well as my jag's 6 sp zf. it was not at all expected. it may be normal in the dynamic mode for the alfa?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't recognize any of this. I have the European 280HP Veloce model, and the only harshness in gearshifts I experience is the lightning-fast upshifts at wide open throttle in Dynamic - and those are perfect :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have the V2 intake and Corsa exhaust and it upshifts and downshifts great in manual mode. i never drive in N or A.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
I dont think its abnormal. Consider paddle shifting in Dynamic similar to a dual clutch auto transmission. Although the two are different in design, the Giulia's transmission mimics the feel of a dual clutch (while in manual mode and dynamic). The shifting could be harsh sometimes, even in low rpms letting go off the throttle you may feel some jerkiness.

In my opinion, this unrefined, raw mechanical attribute adds to the joy of driving this car. The raw mechanical feel has not been toned down compared to an Audi or Mercedes or BMW and it makes you feel connected to the car while driving it aggressively.

If you want a more calming experience, switch to N or A.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
I've never experienced a paddle downshift as harsh as my worst manual downshifts.

While the car is definitely "snappy" in dynamic mode, it's by choice and I expect it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have a Ti Q2 and don't seem to notice an uncomfortable downshift. I drive in D mode only, usually in auto, manual in the twisties. What I did notice was that while cold, the shifts (manual and auto) where jerky. But that was only while cold and smoothed out after fully warm.

When the dealer installed an RRT update, the cold-jerk went away and a lot of other little things also went away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Ti Q2 as well and notice that in "D" the downshifts aren't smooth especially going down to 2nd gear or 1st gear. Upshifts are good though with "D" This is my first automatic car and I feel like doing heel toe or rev match is smoother :(. In "N" mode though the car shifts smooth for downshift.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes throttle position and rpm. The shift robot needs to have good throttle position data and rpm data. If you waver at all and the slightest bit, or are a little too conservative with both, the robot may get confused over what to do around the transition lines in the "grid" so to speak. It's a database represented by numbers on a grid. You want to make sure you are well and clear into the range the computer needs to pull the next gear. Do not lift in other words. A local Ferrari racing team owner and mechanic told me "do not move your foot" after I called him about a PPI before I bought my 360. (He wasn't worried at all and said just check the dash on the spider for warps and shrinkage.) On the F1 system, "do not move your foot." Do not lift. OK but that is on up shifts. On downshifts you can lift, and full off is probably best. Applying brake can help too as it will tell the computer what you are doing. But coasting can work as well. Experiment with the rpm ranges and drop and see if it has an effect. I think the update made it more forgiving or natural. The original grid may have been too clunky.

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to play around with it a bit more to see more specifically what RPM and throttle combinations effect the feel of it. When I am slowing to a stop, if I let the car downshift for me it is very smooth even in D mode, so mostly I have just limited myself to downshifting under power when I want to increase RPM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On downshifts you can lift, and full off is probably best. Applying brake can help too as it will tell the computer what you are doing. But coasting can work as well.
Definitely agree with this. I've been driving 6MT for the last 15 years between 4 different cars and when I downshift it is only when I am heel-toe downshifting (so you are braking and blipping the throttle to rev-match at the same time while downshifting) or if I am coasting enough where my speed dictates that I should be in a lower gear (so no brake and minimal throttle blip to rev-match). I'm no engineer but I can only imagine in an automatic transmission, downshifts would be that much smoother when there is minimal to zero throttle input as the computer is doing the rev matching for you.

When I drive cars with paddles I only downshift when I am braking or coasting.

You should definitely check that you have all of the latest updates - good luck

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
Here is the scenario, you tell me what is the best thing to do with this car:

Up a steep hill (15% grade) approaching a very sharp, decreasing radius hair pin turn (about 15MPH max before tires let go) in which the grade increases to about 20%. Note that I have to give it throttle in the turn or speed will decrease to zip in the turn due to the grade.

In my gutless manual Protege I run up the 15% grade in second and floored; it won't pull the hill in third at all. It will get close to the redline by the top of the hill so I just take my foot off the accelerator and hit the brakes to start the turn. Exiting the turn the engine is turning too slow to accelerate very well but entering the turn the car is still going too fast for first and I am not keen on downshifting in the middle of a sharp curve (yes I know a better driver can do this, but I am not a race car driver). The lanes are narrow, even for a Protege so sliding around is a problem. I've seen a "big rig" make the turn (at 1MPH), but he wasn't able to keep all wheels on the paved surface and was blocking both lanes. I've also seen a big rig stall part way up the hill, roll back down backwards and crash in the turn at the bottom of the hill.

I am hoping that

1) Giulia will go as fast as I dare up the grade, no need to floor it except maybe at the start.
2) Giulia will be able to downshift in the turn without jerking the wheels.
3) Giulia will be able to accelerate out of the turn.

Would you: complete the turn, then downshift to accelerate, or downshift as the radius of the turn decreases so that the engine is ready to go as soon as things straighten out?

·
Supporting Vendor
697 Posts
Here is the scenario, you tell me what is the best thing to do with this car:

Up a steep hill (15% grade) approaching a very sharp, decreasing radius hair pin turn (about 15MPH max before tires let go) in which the grade increases to about 20%. Note that I have to give it throttle in the turn or speed will decrease to zip in the turn due to the grade.

In my gutless manual Protege I run up the 15% grade in second and floored; it won't pull the hill in third at all. It will get close to the redline by the top of the hill so I just take my foot off the accelerator and hit the brakes to start the turn. Exiting the turn the engine is turning too slow to accelerate very well but entering the turn the car is still going too fast for first and I am not keen on downshifting in the middle of a sharp curve (yes I know a better driver can do this, but I am not a race car driver). The lanes are narrow, even for a Protege so sliding around is a problem. I've seen a "big rig" make the turn (at 1MPH), but he wasn't able to keep all wheels on the paved surface and was blocking both lanes. I've also seen a big rig stall part way up the hill, roll back down backwards and crash in the turn at the bottom of the hill.

I am hoping that

1) Giulia will go as fast as I dare up the grade, no need to floor it except maybe at the start.
2) Giulia will be able to downshift in the turn without jerking the wheels.
3) Giulia will be able to accelerate out of the turn.

Would you: complete the turn, then downshift to accelerate, or downshift as the radius of the turn decreases so that the engine is ready to go as soon as things straighten out?
We have a lot of similar hairpins in the mountains. I can assure you the Giulia handles them with very little effort.

The one thing you will appreciate is the quick turn-in; you can deal with everything else going on in a turn like this so much better without having to dial in loads of steering lock.

I usually try to brake late, downshift, get the car turned in with steady throttle, and then accelerate just past the apex. When you get it right it's all very smooth and fluid.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
We have a lot of similar hairpins in the mountains. I can assure you the Giulia handles them with very little effort.

The one thing you will appreciate is the quick turn-in; you can deal with everything else going on in a turn like this so much better without having to dial in loads of steering lock.

I usually try to brake late, downshift, get the car turned in with steady throttle, and then accelerate just past the apex. When you get it right it's all very smooth and fluid.
Thanks. The thread relevant issue here is if Giulia will downshift smoothly enough to be able to downshift as I hit the apex, which for this turn happens immediately before the exit. There is no room in the turn to allow a jerky shift to start a slide.

Where you at? There are only 2 highways in all of California with the grade/turn combination that I have described (SR-108 and SR-4). 20% grade is difficult on foot and essentially impassible by most bicycle enthusiasts.

·
Supporting Vendor
697 Posts
Thanks. The thread relevant issue here is if Giulia will downshift smoothly enough to be able to downshift as I hit the apex, which for this turn happens immediately before the exit. There is no room in the turn to allow a jerky shift to start a slide.

Where you at? There are only 2 highways in all of California with the grade/turn combination that I have described (SR-108 and SR-4). 20% grade is difficult on foot and essentially impassible by most bicycle enthusiasts.
I'm just outside of Boulder, Colorado.

One local road in particular - Magnolia Rd. - is claimed to have 25% grades on the inside of the switchbacks. Strangely the road is popular with cyclists.

I think the downshift scenario you are describing should be fine. I've never had the car downshift hard enough to upset the chassis and cause a slide (unless I wanted it to).

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I'm just outside of Boulder, Colorado.

One local road in particular - Magnolia Rd. - is claimed to have 25% grades on the inside of the switchbacks. Strangely the road is popular with cyclists.

I think the downshift scenario you are describing should be fine. I've never had the car downshift hard enough to upset the chassis and cause a slide (unless I wanted it to).
Nice, I expect that Colorado has more fun roads than any other state in the USA. Being able to bike up Sonora Pass Road (SR-108) is considered bragging rights amongst the more competitive cyclists. There is an annual ride down and up the steep part of nearly as steep Ebetts Pass (SR-4), dubbed the "Death Ride". I participated in Death Ride the 13th, but mismanaged my water and never managed to get to the steep part of SR-4. I managed to clock 52.5MPH on a much more gentle grade (Monitor Pass), then decided to slow down when I saw the automobile skid marks running off the road. At least they have removed the metal cattle guards since then; I jumped the guards at speed.

Here are some pictures of Sonora Pass on someone else's website. The first picture is at the eastern end facing west while the second picture is at the western end of the steep section facing east, taken before the road was repaired (the section in the foreground slid down the cliff, taking out about 1/2 of the width of the road). The slope in the second picture is about 15%, the camera was not held level. Note that Mrs. Potato Head's lips went off the cliff at the right angle bend that is just out of sight in the second picture (reference Bridgestone advertisement). After the bend the road follows "Dead Man Creek".

http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/3951-sonora-pass.html

Anyway, smooth downshifts are really important on roads like this, hopefully utilizing throttle blips to make them smooth AND fast. The point of my contribution to the thread is that the O.P. indicated that downshifts might not be as smooth as I had hoped; perhaps it is an issue specific to a subset of cars?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have a Ti Q2 as well and notice that in "D" the downshifts aren't smooth especially going down to 2nd gear or 1st gear. Upshifts are good though with "D" This is my first automatic car and I feel like doing heel toe or rev match is smoother :(. In "N" mode though the car shifts smooth for downshift.
Right. In both my 4C and my Ti Q2, I let the car take care of the second to first downshift. In the Ti, first is so low that it doesn't really need to be used. Try starting in second and you'll see what I mean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts