Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Q2 (Alfa White)
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a set of Pirelli P7 245/40-19 non runflats from Tirerack...had them shipped to Wheel works.

Tirerack texted me to confirm the size and nrf before they could process the order. Once I confirmed, they got to WW pretty quickly. WW called me to confirm what was being sent and my car

The day of the appointment I speak to the tech and check in. Suddenly they have a policy of not installing non rfs on a car that had OEM rf. Dude asks his manager and the manager says the can't remember the policy. I confirm that I know they aren't rf and that I understand. He says go ahead.

2 hours later I get a call to come get the car and tires because they can't do it. So now I have to leave work and have my gf pick me up and take me over again. If they had just said from the beginning they couldn't do it, I'd be fine...but making me come back was just wrong.

Anyway, I found a local independent shop to do it. Took them two hours, but they ended up chipping all my wheels. Fuuu...

The tires fit perfectly, no rub, just smooth ride...
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q4
60 Posts
That's a strange policy that I've never heard of before!... but then again, I haven't been to a chain tire shop in a long while.

Anyway, kind of jealous of how the Q2 has much smaller wheel gaps - my Q4 looks like an SUV compared to the Q2...

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
166 Posts
Weird. Discount tire never has said anything with me installing non run flats on my Stelvio

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,147 Posts
Weird. Discount tire never has said anything with me installing non run flats on my Stelvio
I don't like Wheel Works ever since a co-worker reported that she had ordered and paid for V rated tires for her Ford SHO and got H rated tires on the car. WW argued that you can't drive faster than the H rating, so what difference does it make (bad argument, V rated tires have fewer imperfections and maybe more traction). After making a stink the fault was corrected, but I'm not going there now.

I too have had no issue with getting non-RFT tires installed at Discount Tires (Nokian R3) or California Wheels (Michelin A/S 3+ and 4). California Wheels fusses more over wheel scuffs, while Discount Tires can get Nokian winter tires.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This a really silly policy particularly given you can buy a factory tire pump and flat filler system from Alfa. When I converted to non run flats I bought one from the dealer for about $200. Hope I never need it but it actually fits into the rear trunk in a pre molded spot. Your car looks great, btw. Love the extra tire to fill the wheel openings. Your tires should be 26.7” in overall diameter. I put 225/45/19 on the front and 255/40/19 on the rear. They are both 27” overall diameter and fit fine, no rubbing.
Wheel Car Tire Sky Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
49 Posts
Fuck man thats painful, I luckily have a buddy that worked for a tire shop so I at least have a good recommendation of somewhere that does good work.

·
Registered
2019 Misano Blue Ti Sport Carbon Q2
52 Posts
I just ran into the same thing. I had tirerack deliver Continental DWS06 Plus 245/40 and 275/35 19s to a local firestone to install on my 2019 Q2. I get there and they told me that can’t install them since it’s not the same as listed on the placard. My guess is that they have some weird corporate policy fearing liability. Anyway, I found a local shop that will do it, so with any luck I’ll have them on tomorrow.

Yours look great!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just ran into the same thing. I had tirerack deliver Continental DWS06 Plus 245/40 and 275/35 19s to a local firestone to install on my 2019 Q2. I get there and they told me that can’t install them since it’s not the same as listed on the placard. My guess is that they have some weird corporate policy fearing liability. Anyway, I found a local shop that will do it, so with any luck I’ll have them on tomorrow.

Yours look great!
I think it must be a liability issue. Post a pic when you finally get yours on! Also if you live in a city where Tirerack has a location for their ASAP tire service they will mount them … and as long as they don’t rub too much they are fine. I have had them mount seriously oversize tires in the past and their techs are like … “hey love it dude … no rub, no snub”. A couple of $20’s also helps them feel more comfortable with it!

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q4
60 Posts
When the time came to get new tires, I kept going back and forth on whether to get 245/40/19 or 245/35/19 but ended up going with the latter because I was a bit scared that the 40 profile tires would rub. I had heard a few ppl say they rub, but glad to know it doesn't for most folks.

Here's my car with 245/35/19. Don't mind giant wheel gap..
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks great ... are these Conti DWS06 Plus (non-runflat)? I have those on my Giulia and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
863 Posts
Weird never ran into that on either car . I use Costco and town fair tire.

I had a coworker who was told by Toyota that switching out from run flats to regular tires required different wheels . That the wheels were specific to run flats. This was maybe 8 years ago, vehicle was a RAV4. I told him they were crazy, but who am I to argue w Toyota.

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q4
60 Posts
Looks great ... are these Conti DWS06 Plus (non-runflat)? I have those on my Giulia and am very happy with them.
Thank you. Indeed they are. Had them for 300 miles so far, so still in the break-in period. Will have to go on a mountain drive to see how they compare to the oem Pirelli.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts