Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out of the driveway, and after 50 yards or so the engine shuts off in low speed around 15MPH.
I was in "A" mode and AC was on but not in full blast.
I was able to restart the car immediately without any issues.
I have seen a thread someone reporting the car shutting off at the high speed in the left lane before.
Taking the car to the Dealer tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Have not received my car yet, but since you were in A mode with AC on, I suspect the engine hadn't warmed up enough yet and when the compressor for ac came on or was on an you left the driveway, the load was enough to cause it to stall without proper rpm. My Miata does this with my supercharger kit, piggy back harness and light weight flywheel. The piggy back ECUs cause the idle to hunt a bit more than stock on warm up because they monitor the signals and adjust for fuel flow and rpm. The light weight fly wheel was NOT part of the original kit but is not as light as turbo or naturally aspirated sport weights. Still, it's enough to set it off. I also have power steering and cruise control so there is a lot of vacuum load.

If you did not see any warning lights and it started right away I'd say it was load related. Just don't start in A mode or wait until the idle drops to it's lowest warmed up level before turning on accessories like AC. Fan should be OK just wait to hit the AC button until the idle drops first. typical rpm tune is 1000 at startup then drops down to 850 or so when warm. Try this.

Reactions: DaneARFOM

·
Banned
264 Posts
Have not received my car yet, but since you were in A mode with AC on, I suspect the engine hadn't warmed up enough yet and when the compressor for ac came on or was on an you left the driveway, the load was enough to cause it to stall without proper rpm. My Miata does this with my supercharger kit, piggy back harness and light weight flywheel. The piggy back ECUs cause the idle to hunt a bit more than stock on warm up because they monitor the signals and adjust for fuel flow and rpm. The light weight fly wheel was NOT part of the original kit but is not as light as turbo or naturally aspirated sport weights. Still, it's enough to set it off. I also have power steering and cruise control so there is a lot of vacuum load.

If you did not see any warning lights and it started right away I'd say it was load related. Just don't start in A mode or wait until the idle drops to it's lowest warmed up level before turning on accessories like AC. Fan should be OK just wait to hit the AC button until the idle drops first. typical rpm tune is 1000 at startup then drops down to 850 or so when warm. Try this.
That is not a solution...there is a serious defect with this vehicle...the car should never shutoff unless you turn it off, regardless of load...really upsetting to see folks down play a defect that can easily result in serious injury or death...I keep my car in a mode 99 percent of the time...never had it shut off...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is not a solution...there is a serious defect with this vehicle...the car should never shutoff unless you turn it off, regardless of load...really upsetting to see folks down play a defect that can easily result in serious injury or death...I keep my car in a mode 99 percent of the time...never had it shut off...

I drove many cars in the past with many issues, this one didn't seem to be a big deal (for me) and I was able to handle it on the spot, but I 100% agree with you, I understand having the AC on in A mode might be causing this, but in NO Circumstances this should be happening. The car should raise the RPM high enough to prevent this.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The AC has absolutely nothing to do with the shut off/stalling. The Giulia can stall if the ECU has not been updated to the latest software. OP just became a member, when did you get your car? Check your car's oil temp bar. If its at 5 bars when it reaches normal operating temperature in 10-15 minutes then you don't have the latest software. Once your ECU receives the crucial update, your oil temp bar will show 4 bars. Your call should not stall anymore after this update. Just take it to your Dealer and they will address it. They are very very well aware of this issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Are you sure? And by no means was I downplaying this at all. Nor was I meaning to "upset" anyone by trying to provide some perspective or understanding as to what was causing this. He did not indicate there was a stop start light.

Let me put it this way: these annoying early model issues seem to be mostly software related and it seems "really upsetting" to me to think you have to surrender your vehicles for days, sometimes weeks, for what is really a short update. It should take less than a half a day to run this, and the real problem that actually exists may just be aggravated by common things like the AC or warm up. These are computer related issues and may only require a simple "reboot" to clear out the logic jam and keep you mobile. It's weighing this against a days-long possibly weeks-long hassle with a loaner or maybe even rental car that upsets me. My suggestion may get you through the week while an appointment time opens up. I'm thinking more about the time lost and the way Alfa is handling this with their customers. That to me is the upsetting thing. If they gave you a Quattroporte or Ghibli while they took their sweet time reflashing your ecu, that would be a whole lot better. I'm pretty sure an 8C is out of the question. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Hi Jon_K_348,

I am sure the Giulia's ECU is programmed to handle the load caused by the AC compressor in all DNA settings. This would be a very basic program setting from the factory. The comparison regarding the Miata is not appropriate in this case because while your Miata has been customized with a supercharger, I am positive the OP has not installed any additional engine components as of yet.

When any car is modified with an aftermarket supercharger (not from the factory), the stock ECU programming does not take into account any additional load and it may cause it to stall unless the ECU is re-mapped.

The Giulia should also show a notification on the dash for fault if the engine shut down unexpectedly. Perhaps the OP didn't see this error/fault because he was more concerned with turning on his car as quickly as possible considering it died in the middle of the road. The error message disappears once you re-start your car. Unless a "check-engine" light registers but that would be a completely different diagnosis.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi Ibe,

I know the comparison was not great. And yes, any modification from stock is a whole other story. I should have made my point about the waiting hassle right at the beginning. That's what has bugged me the most about Afla's service stories here. But you know, I am willing to bet, maybe a tank of gas, that the stalling is ecu "tune" related. There was a problem with some from the factory, the ecu controls rpm and such by pulling timing or adding it, any influence on timing by the crank, especially from an AC compressor belt connected to it will play into it. That's all. And if you can get a couple days use by working around Afla's problem by "microengineering" the dang fault, until the car can actually get in for service and not sit there dormant, then that's what I was aiming for. And it's just the stupid software, not the car!

John.

p.s. Yes you are right about the supercharger too, to the point that I also added a lightweight flywheel, which was enough to cause problems at high load, low rpm situations on the piggy back cards. "Not enough flywheel." The kit design engineer himself, removed his light weight flywheel because of "drive-ability issues." But these could all be similar factors effecting the fault in the Alfa ecu code or data. I bet it's timing or engine management related. Simple as that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jon_K_348,

I am sure the Giulia's ECU is programmed to handle the load caused by the AC compressor in all DNA settings. This would be a very basic program setting from the factory. The comparison regarding the Miata is not appropriate in this case because while your Miata has been customized with a supercharger, I am positive the OP has not installed any additional engine components as of yet.

When any car is modified with an aftermarket supercharger (not from the factory), the stock ECU programming does not take into account any additional load and it may cause it to stall unless the ECU is re-mapped.

The Giulia should also show a notification on the dash for fault if the engine shut down unexpectedly. Perhaps the OP didn't see this error/fault because he was more concerned with turning on his car as quickly as possible considering it died in the middle of the road. The error message disappears once you re-start your car. Unless a "check-engine" light registers but that would be a completely different diagnosis.
No Error message, my music was loud as i was slowing down the car for a stop sign. The only thing caught my attention that car has been stalled was when the screen prompted the Start/Stop screen, I doubted if there was an error message. Got the car just 10 days ago, taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to check it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pulled out of the driveway, and after 50 yards or so the engine shuts off in low speed around 15MPH.
I was in "A" mode and AC was on but not in full blast.
I was able to restart the car immediately without any issues.
I have seen a thread someone reporting the car shutting off at the high speed in the left lane before.
Taking the car to the Dealer tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone?
I have noticed something that may be related to your issue. This morning I was in "A" mode and sitting in the car while it was idling. I didn't have the A/C on... only the radio. The car seemed to be on the verge of shutting off, almost sputtering for a few moments. I have noticed at other times that the car idles roughly. I just got the car a week ago so I don't it is an issue with the car not having an update. The car hasn't shut off yet but I will be keep a close watch on this.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Were you at an incline by any chance? I've noticed that my stall outs or near stall outs (after the fuel related stall updates) have all been on an incline.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
My stall was on a downhill.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dont assume that just because you recently purchased your car that it comes with the latest software. There have been plenty of cars leaving the dealer lots with older software.
I bet, also I drove off the dealer with 60PSI cold tires. I will bring up the issue to them tomorrow.Whats the latests version of the software on yours?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Were you at an incline by any chance? I've noticed that my stall outs or near stall outs (after the fuel related stall updates) have all been on an incline.
No, pretty flat road. However, i do notice the car is about to die for the first few minutes no matter what mode i am in, I thought it was normal for these newer cars so I didn't put too much thoughts in it, until it stalled yesterday.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
No Error message, my music was loud as i was slowing down the car for a stop sign. The only thing caught my attention that car has been stalled was when the screen prompted the Start/Stop screen, I doubted if there was an error message. Got the car just 10 days ago, taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to check it out.
What do you mean by prompted? Did it give you a warning error message or just tell you that stop start was active. Did you press the gas and engine start up again or did you have to use the start button?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Oh, I see... This definitely sounds like a car that needs a bunch of updates. Geese, maybe it's a unit conversion error or something? And 60psi tires. Augh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This just happened to me, rolling about 10 miles an hour, foot off the gas and the engine just stalled. Had to stop the car put it in Park and restart the engine. I've not had any major issues with the car until now. The milage is around 1500m, hoping its a software update fix. Will call the dealer tomorrow. No errors seen on the console. Hope this does not happen to me on the freeway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This just happened to me, rolling about 10 miles an hour, foot off the gas and the engine just stalled. Had to stop the car put it in Park and restart the engine. I've not had any major issues with the car until now. The milage is around 1500m, hoping its a software update fix. Will call the dealer tomorrow. No errors seen on the console. Hope this does not happen to me on the freeway.
This is very similar to a issue I experienced on the interstate, the car does not like to creep along in heavy traffic. Mine has stalled twice at about 12mph, when braking during or right after the upshift to 2nd. The car spent 13 days at the dealer with no resolution. The dealer has a engineer from Alfa coming in on 9/12 and the car is going back for him to look at then. I hope he can replicate the issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts