Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Alfa Romeo stops selling in the US market (which seems increasingly possible) will that hurt or help resale values?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Keep positive. 110 years gone and another 100 years will come. The resale value will be hurt by the move to 100% electric cars in 20 years from now. In the main time, enjoy your Alfa Romeo !!!!!!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
If it happens, which I don’t think is fait accompli, I don’t see why it would raise values, so it’s just question of how quickly values drop.

Guessing, I’d think most Giulias are leased, so the flow of wholesale, lease-return cars into the market would probably have a depressive effect on pricing. Neither lessees nor the lessor, Ally, would be inclined to hold onto the cars.

Therefore, I’d forecast a quick drop in values if Alfa folds up shop in USA, and a both quick and precipitous drop if Alfa folds wholly.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
If it happens, which I don’t think is fait accompli, I don’t see why it would raise values, so it’s just question of how quickly values drop.

Guessing, I’d think most Giulias are leased, so the flow of wholesale, lease-return cars into the market would probably have a depressive effect on pricing. Neither lessees nor the lessor, Ally, would be inclined to hold onto the cars.

Therefore, I’d forecast a quick drop in values if Alfa folds up shop in USA, and a both quick and precipitous drop if Alfa folds wholly.
this unscientific, probably not representative, and not statistically significant sample suggests more bought than leased. But who knows. Either way, I think values would take a significant immediate hit.

Reactions: chaadster

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
this unscientific, probably not representative, and not statistically significant sample suggests more bought than leased. But who knows. Either way, I think values would take a significant immediate hit.

Thanks; I have not read that thread, but probably my perspective is colored by (or stained?) by being in Michigan, home of FCA, and where it seems I run into lessees pretty commonly.

I agree that, either way, values should be expected to go down immediately.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
it was easy to see the writing on the wall once Sergio passed. FCA doesn’t care about Alfa and why should it when the charger and Jeep are its bread and butter. Alfa needs to go to Honda where they basically have no sports segments other than the NSX. The Honda affiliation would also dramatically improve perceived reliability concerns.

·
Registered
223 Posts
While it isn't great news, there is no specific information in that article about them pulling out of the market.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
While it isn't great news, there is no specific information in that article about them pulling out of the market.
That’s right, and it’s old news...it was some months ago that news of Ypsilon outselling Alfa broke, and the figures in the article are from the first half of 2018.

Further, with PSA having controlling stock, the conditions are much different, but the article doesn’t involve that change at all.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,078 Posts
"heavily publicized Giulia sedan"?

At this point hope seems to be pinned to the Tonale.

·
Registered
642 Posts
It will get relatively complex if that happens. What happens to warranty? Does Alfa start training FCA techs so that any Chrysler location can do maintenance? If so, this might stop a violent drop in value - will obviously still be a decrease though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I can only think it would hurt. Cars of today are sooooooooooo tricky to repair in the shade of a tree or in a 3rd party shop.

This means, if AF closes down then all the dealerships go away so "ease" of maintenance declines. My personal belief is that AF is doing so poorly because there are so few dealers - there were ZERO dealers in San Antonio, Texas for over a year when the Fiat/Alfa dealer closed (san Antonio, Texas was the fastest growing city in the US in 2017). Now imagine, if all the dealers dried up....

Even the die hard fans would pass on a car with buggy electronics.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
What’s this “AF” about?

Reactions: kattlin

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,078 Posts
Reactions: chaadster

·
Registered
111 Posts
It will drop like a rock, obviously. Appreciation or a steady hold would only happen if it were to be considered a collector's item. No chance of that for years.

As stated previously, resale value should not be a worry if you are interested in buying one of these. The real concern about AR folding in the US would be maintenance. I bought a new Saab 9-3 in 2012 after they BK'd but I was in a 2005 9-3 at the time, had a great mechanic and there were years and years of parts made since they basically never refreshed it for years. Certain parts already seem to be an issue with cars stuck at dealerships for long periods of time so dropping support after only a few years of production would be rough. I'd be tempted to try and sell immediately and get out of potential headaches.

Then again, I still have my Saab and love having it since it is a rare site to see one around here: especially in the good condition mine is in. Maintenance for the Giulia would be much more difficult but the trade off would be everything we love about this car. It will also still look fresh for a long time since the styling is worlds better than its current competition.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The opposite effect would be, all of the sudden people want what they can’t have, if the dealership go away and the very few cars that did sell over the last 4 years become more rare every year, especially QVs. No statistics to back this up just playing the other side.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts