Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been doing a lot of research on the Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio since last summer and came close to pulling the trigger in January when the dealer in Calgary informed me he had 2 unallocated QV’s arriving in a couple of weeks.

At the time there were three main reasons I held off. First off, we have been a one vehicle family - a 2010 Lexus RX350 with 197k km that has been without issues, but was approaching major scheduled maintenance if I kept it. With the kids a bit older, it make sense to have two vehicles now, but wplan on getting one this year and one next year. So ideally I wanted to purchase an SUV first - for the AWD which is more suited to be a all year vehicle given Calgary winters and the fact that we really only have 2 months out of the year that are good for summer tires. I was leaning toward the Stelvio Quadrifoglio for this year and thought I could pick up a Guilia QV next year, but the dealer said that there would be no chance of getting a a Stelvio QV until the end of this year and even potentially as late as 2019 if we ordered now. The need to replace our RX350 took out the Stelvio QV as an option for this year. Given we would only have one car for this year, I thought it would be better getting an SUV now, because if I got a Guilia QV, I really don’t want my wife driving it.:laugh:

The second reason I held off was not being sure about reliability, cost of ownership and quality of post purchase service. In Calgary we have one choice and it’s the Maserati/Ferrari dealer. I just know what to expect in service if something does go wrong, since in terms of price point, the Alfa sits behind Ferrari and Maserati. Before we had kids, I had a 2008 bmw 335xi, which I had just over 2 1/2 years, which had major issues and I was pretty much treated like crap by the dealership. They had the car twice for repair jobs two weeks and longer and the first time they rented me a ford festiva as a loaner and when I complained, the second time they rented a Chevy Traverse. I heard things have improved now, but 3 series owners were pretty much treated like **** by Calgary BMW. No loaners were available and they were cheap when it came to rentals. They also had no clue on what was wrong with the car.

The last reason is, if I’m paying MSRP for a car, I want the colour and options I’m interested in, not just what’s available and I want misano blue and apple play without the carbon fibre steering and seats (love both, but they aren’t heated and given Calgary winters, I’d prefer the heating over the look/feel of the carbon fibre).

So based on favouring an SUV as the primary car (which will go to the wife when I get my sports sedan or coupe - and keep her out of the drivers seat of my baby), I ended up purchasing a new 2017 Lexus RX350 which I got for over $10k off since they were clearing out 2017’s.

My plan is to next January or February get my new car - will be my daily driver for work and I want to be a more fun car.

I’m basically torn between getting what I want - a Guilia QV and picking up another SUV- Stelvio QV, since as a daily driver the Stelvio would still be a better choice, still is a rocket - for an SUV, but is still not a true sports car.

I also still am unsure about what to expect for longer term reliability - I will be paying cash, so I do want the car to be my main driver for at least 6or 7 years. The two other options I’ve been considering are the Audi RS5 and the the TT RS. I would never have even considered a TT before - seems like a chick car. But the new TT is actually quicker than the Guilia. My main reason for considering the Audi RS are that they are both AWD and I can actually test drive them. In Calgary, there is no option to test drive the Guilia QV. The dealer doesn’t have demos.

In terms of looks, reviews, looks, heritage, did I say looks? - I prefer the Guilia QV, but I’m now considering the two AWD Audi RS models, since I have no opportunity to test drive the Guilia (not an issue with Audi), I can’t really compare the driving dynamics myself. I’m also unsure about the long term reliability of the guilia QV and what to expect from the dealership (given that prioritization would probably be behind Ferrari and Maserati), I feel more comfortable with Audi.

Two things I wanted to know. First those that pulled the trigger on an Guilia QV, did you consider the Audi RS models? Did you test drive them? How was the handling?

Secondly, for Canadian buyers, what has cost of maintenance (there are reports of the first being free in the USA, the second service being $350 and the 30k being $2500 in the USA), as there is no information from Canadian buyers. What was the dealer post purchase agreement been like (particularly if it’s from Ferrari/Maserati dealership)? Any idea how much extended warranty is?

Sorry for the long post. Maybe I’m over analyzing. The heart says to go with the Guilia QV, but the head wants to avoid another BMW type experience.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
You Answered Your Own Question

given where you live and DD needs not sounding like the Alfa QV is for you...maybe a Ti Sport AWD??
also forgive me but you are ALL OVER the place with vehicle options...from a small coupe` to a large GT...a super sport sedan & then a sport SUV:grin2:
first and foremost your dealer network is important...and with a Ferrari/Maserati dealer being your option you are already in a great position
**DISCLAIMER** EVERY DEALER IS DIFFERENT, BRAND/MARQUE MAKES NO DIFFERENCE YOU CAN FIND CRAPPY HIGH END DEALERS AS WELL

as far as repair costs out of warranty an RS Audi ain't cheap, a LEXUS isn't cheap for out of warranty repairs depending on what is needed for that matter.
my take FWIW: test drive the Ti Sport AWD I think it will give you the sporty drive you can enjoy as a DD without any compromises like going out with the entire family.
The TT is a weekend sports car to me and forget family trips....the RS is a nice GT car....backseat room is a little tight for adults is the only drawback
I would not even consider the Stelvio Quad as you already have an SUV...
Good Luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a Guilia QV and mine is inbound right now, it's arrived in Canada from Italy and is currently in Halifax docks, waiting to be loads to start the cross country trek to British Columbia where I am. It's expected in the next 2-3 weeks as well, so odds are the cars your dealer told you of, are in the same shipment.

The Audi is AWD, that's literally the only thing that would make me stay in the Audi camp as a possible (better in snow if you have it in the winter). In the end I bought my QV because from every single thing I have read, watched on youtube from professional drivers etc, it's a visceral feeling driving one. The Audi RS5 I have driven on a few occasions, including tracking one. I can't say anything bad about the car, it's a beast. It's around the same speed as the QV, so it comes down to which makes you feel better I guess?

Audi has a better track record with quality, nobody would argue this but the QV.... ****... the QV. It's an Alfa Romeo. The service fees you can get around with extended warranty I think. Yes, pricey but you'll pay it later anyway right? I think you saw Ron's Rides vid talking about the 30k costs and to be fair, we don't know what was done to the car to have that fee. Maybe it's normal.. not sure.

Worst case I have to sell my car and given they are so rare in Canada, the resale will be there for sure.

2 door versus 4 door I guess. heh Which works better for your life?

good luck man!

·
Registered
693 Posts
The carbon steering wheel IS heated.

I’ve never driven an RS so I can’t help with your choice. I’ve been more than happy with my QV. Best car I’ve owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
given where you live and DD needs not sounding like the Alfa QV is for you...maybe a Ti Sport AWD??
also forgive me but you are ALL OVER the place with vehicle options...from a small coupe` to a large GT...a super sport sedan & then a sport SUV:grin2:
first and foremost your dealer network is important...and with a Ferrari/Maserati dealer being your option you are already in a great position
**DISCLAIMER** EVERY DEALER IS DIFFERENT, BRAND/MARQUE MAKES NO DIFFERENCE YOU CAN FIND CRAPPY HIGH END DEALERS AS WELL

as far as repair costs out of warranty an RS Audi ain't cheap, a LEXUS isn't cheap for out of warranty repairs depending on what is needed for that matter.
my take FWIW: test drive the Ti Sport AWD I think it will give you the sporty drive you can enjoy as a DD without any compromises like going out with the entire family.
The TT is a weekend sports car to me and forget family trips....the RS is a nice GT car....backseat room is a little tight for adults is the only drawback
I would not even consider the Stelvio Quad as you already have an SUV...
Good Luck!
I admit I am kind of all over the place. I’m torn between having a true sports sedan and retaining practicality for more diverse uses. I’m not concerned about not being able to use the guilia QV for family trips - we have the larger RX350 for that. I would like to go on my photography trips to national parks alone with my car, or use it when my wife and I go for a weekend trip.

I like the two RS’s because they are AWD and I’d love to have a coupe again. I like the specs of the RS5,but don’t care for design or looks. Surprisingly I like the looks of the TT RS - it looks much more aggressive than the regular TT and with a zero to 60of 3.6 seconds, it’s quicker than bothe the Guilia QV and the RS5, but given it’s engine location, not sure how it compares handling wise. The kids are still young, so I’m not concerned about either of them fitting in a coupe. Having said that, I do think the Guilia QV, despite being a sedan, looks much nicer than the two coupes.

The only reason I’m still considering the Stelvio QV, is that it’s quick for an SUV, is AWD and I shouldn’t have to worry about driving it regardless of weather. If the guilia QV was AWD, it would be a no brainer. Just not sure what to expect in the winter. It’s also hard to make a decision without actually being able to test drive the car.

I also have no idea what cost of maintenance is in Canada, or cost of an extended warranty is in Canada - hard to get some of this info from the dealer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I bought a Guilia QV and mine is inbound right now, it's arrived in Canada from Italy and is currently in Halifax docks, waiting to be loads to start the cross country trek to British Columbia where I am. It's expected in the next 2-3 weeks as well, so odds are the cars your dealer told you of, are in the same shipment.

The Audi is AWD, that's literally the only thing that would make me stay in the Audi camp as a possible (better in snow if you have it in the winter). In the end I bought my QV because from every single thing I have read, watched on youtube from professional drivers etc, it's a visceral feeling driving one. The Audi RS5 I have driven on a few occasions, including tracking one. I can't say anything bad about the car, it's a beast. It's around the same speed as the QV, so it comes down to which makes you feel better I guess?

Audi has a better track record with quality, nobody would argue this but the QV.... ****... the QV. It's an Alfa Romeo. The service fees you can get around with extended warranty I think. Yes, pricey but you'll pay it later anyway right? I think you saw Ron's Rides vid talking about the 30k costs and to be fair, we don't know what was done to the car to have that fee. Maybe it's normal.. not sure.

Worst case I have to sell my car and given they are so rare in Canada, the resale will be there for sure.

2 door versus 4 door I guess. heh Which works better for your life?

good luck man!
Do you know if you’ll be able to add Apple play as a software upgrade? The dealer here wasn’t sure if it would be for 2018 models built before February 2018.

I doubt if the car is going to hold it’s value based on reports in the USA if the price dropping $15k to $20k in the first year. From what I’ve read the cost at 30k is the recommended service. Did your dealer provide you info about the extended warranty options when you placed your order? Are you getting that full 3m paint protection - it’s around $7k in Calgary?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carbon fibre steering heated?

The carbon steering wheel IS heated.

I’ve never driven an RS so I can’t help with your choice. I’ve been more than happy with my QV. Best car I’ve owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Have you got the carbon fibre steering? The dealer in Calgary said that the carbon fibre seats and steering aren’t heated, because of issues with heating carbon fibre. If it’s heated, than that’s an option I want for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oddly enough as a long time Audi guy and previous owner of RS6, RS4 and TT-RS, I went through a very similar process in that we were looking at the new 2018 TT-RS vs the Giulia QV to replace our aging TT-RS. The Alfa dealer was actually much more accommodating for test drives of the QV than our local Audi dealer with the new TT-RS (from whom we even purchased our previous two RS models brand new...), so the dealer did play a part in our decision as they treated us quite poorly for such a long time repeat customer. We did test drive both models and they are very different cars but both excellent choices if they meet your needs. A couple of things played into our final decision to get the QV. The new TT-RS virtual cockpit is pretty neat, but overall the car felt very much like more of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just kind of felt like a been there, done that kind of thing having already owned a TT-RS for over 5 years. I was also disappointed the TT-RS does not offer any advanced safety features such as collision avoidance or lane departure. This was a big selling point for the QV over the TT-RS. The decision to get the QV was truly by a razor thin margin and, honestly, if I lived where summer tires were only practical 2 months of the year, I wouldn't even consider the Giulia QV as a daily driver. I would either hold out for the Stelvio QV, which sounds like what you really want, or, go for the TT-RS if you don't need the additional room. The TT-RS has a surprising amount of luggage capacity, especially with the seats folded, so it can be very practical if you don't need to carry more than two people, and it's a hair faster if not quite as "alive" feeling as the QV in full race mode. I will say our previous gen TT-RS did seem to have more of the VW Golf reliability with several issues and some recurring ones. Nothing that related to the drivability but did have an issue with water infiltration due to a plugged drain that was a huge pain under warranty, no less than three times to replace a carbon canister thing (once out of warranty) and a failed A/C compressor (was able to get our indy to just replace the valve in the compressor). Our previous RS models were more reliable, but I would expect the 3rd gen TT to have worked out more of these bugs. QV is still under a thousand miles, so I can't say what the future will bring, no issues so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing your Audi experience! Do you know what the extended warranty is for an Audi RS? I paid $3400 CDN for a 6yr/180k km warranty for our 2017 rx350. A similar term for the BMW X5 is just under $9k. I imagine the TT RS would be somewhere between the two, but probably closer to the X5.

Whether I get and Audi RS, or a Guilia QV, I would get snow tires and if I got the QV, I think when it came time to replace the original summers, I’d probably get a high performance all season tire. I know that would take away some of the handling, but if we get an early September snow storm (like we did this year), or late May/June snow storm, I’d still be able to drive the guilia QV from may to October with the all seasons and November to April with winters.

With either the guilia QV or the Stelvio QV, I’d have to order them without actually test driving them. It would be nice to drive the two and compare the dynamics I’d be given up with the sedan and the flexibility I’d be getting with the AWD suv.

Oddly enough as a long time Audi guy and previous owner of RS6, RS4 and TT-RS, I went through a very similar process in that we were looking at the new 2018 TT-RS vs the Giulia QV to replace our aging TT-RS. The Alfa dealer was actually much more accommodating for test drives of the QV than our local Audi dealer with the new TT-RS (from whom we even purchased our previous two RS models brand new...), so the dealer did play a part in our decision as they treated us quite poorly for such a long time repeat customer. We did test drive both models and they are very different cars but both excellent choices if they meet your needs. A couple of things played into our final decision to get the QV. The new TT-RS virtual cockpit is pretty neat, but overall the car felt very much like more of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just kind of felt like a been there, done that kind of thing having already owned a TT-RS for over 5 years. I was also disappointed the TT-RS does not offer any advanced safety features such as collision avoidance or lane departure. This was a big selling point for the QV over the TT-RS. The decision to get the QV was truly by a razor thin margin and, honestly, if I lived where summer tires were only practical 2 months of the year, I wouldn't even consider the Giulia QV as a daily driver. I would either hold out for the Stelvio QV, which sounds like what you really want, or, go for the TT-RS if you don't need the additional room. The TT-RS has a surprising amount of luggage capacity, especially with the seats folded, so it can be very practical if you don't need to carry more than two people, and it's a hair faster if not quite as "alive" feeling as the QV in full race mode. I will say our previous gen TT-RS did seem to have more of the VW Golf reliability with several issues and some recurring ones. Nothing that related to the drivability but did have an issue with water infiltration due to a plugged drain that was a huge pain under warranty, no less than three times to replace a carbon canister thing (once out of warranty) and a failed A/C compressor (was able to get our indy to just replace the valve in the compressor). Our previous RS models were more reliable, but I would expect the 3rd gen TT to have worked out more of these bugs. QV is still under a thousand miles, so I can't say what the future will bring, no issues so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're welcome, but I don't know what kind of extended warranty they offer these days. I haven't looked at one in years. The last time I considered one was Audi Fidelity for the RS6, and it just didn't make financial sense at the time, but then I like to wrench on my cars and have access to a great indy. The Alfa dealer didn't offer any extended warranty products during the purchase process.

Are all Canada dealers refusing to allow a test drive of the QV? At least here, if you show up with the cash and throw down the gauntlet, the dealer will cave to make the sale if they have inventory on the lot. Perhaps someone in a more northern climate with a QV will chime in on their driving experience. I really think you would enjoy the TT-RS more if you don't need the back seat and you are dealing with less than ideal driving conditions on a regular basis. They both sound great in their respective performance modes. The magnetic dampers on the TT-RS are nice, although the ride is a bit more firm than the QV when both are on their softest settings. The TT-RS, of course, feels smaller and lighter because it is. The Giulia does have some magic about it and the steering is just wonderful, not to say that the TT-RS is bad. I would say pushing the Giulia feels more like a dance while the TT-RS is just unflappable, predictable precision. I actually emailed back and forth with a well known automotive journalist about both cars before they released as he had test driven and reviewed them and, as he said, they were the two best cars he drove all year and very tough to choose between. He did give the nod to the Alfa, only because he felt like not enough people were buying them and he wanted to see the brand succeed here.

Thanks for sharing your Audi experience! Do you know what the extended warranty is for an Audi RS? I paid $3400 CDN for a 6yr/180k km warranty for our 2017 rx350. A similar term for the BMW X5 is just under $9k. I imagine the TT RS would be somewhere between the two, but probably closer to the X5.

Whether I get and Audi RS, or a Guilia QV, I would get snow tires and if I got the QV, I think when it came time to replace the original summers, I’d probably get a high performance all season tire. I know that would take away some of the handling, but if we get an early September snow storm (like we did this year), or late May/June snow storm, I’d still be able to drive the guilia QV from may to October with the all seasons and November to April with winters.

With either the guilia QV or the Stelvio QV, I’d have to order them without actually test driving them. It would be nice to drive the two and compare the dynamics I’d be given up with the sedan and the flexibility I’d be getting with the AWD suv.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Have you got the carbon fibre steering? The dealer in Calgary said that the carbon fibre seats and steering aren’t heated, because of issues with heating carbon fibre. If it’s heated, than that’s an option I want for sure.
Yes I have it and it’s heated. It gets hot very quickly too.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to clarify, you can get the heated carbon fiber steering wheel as a separate option, but the Sparco carbon fiber seats are NOT heated in any configuration.

·
Registered
131 Posts
@kss Chiming in to agree the wheel is heated, at least in the USA. I know options differ, so Canada COULD be different, but it wouldn't make sense on this particular option since you are much colder.

I haven't driven a TT RS or RS5, but did seriously consider the S5 Sportback vs. my QV. The tech on the S5 is worlds ahead. But the TT RS doesn't get all of those same tech features, so not a direct comparison. The RS5 is too boring looking IMHO.

The S5 SB, while awesome in tech, handling was significantly less involving than the QV. Slower too, but still plenty fast. Much better looking than the RS5, but honestly, never going to be noticed against a QV.

I don't have snow tires on my QV, not needed in Vegas. However, the factory tires scare the crap out of me when it's below 50 here. It slides at the slightest provocation in any mode other than A. Easily remedied via other tires, but the TT RS and RS5 with proper tires will still be better in cold/snow simply due to the AWD. Nothing will change that.

But there are several drivers here with QVs in snow areas that are daily driving them, so it can be done.

Vote with your heart, life it too short to compromise if you don't have to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're welcome, but I don't know what kind of extended warranty they offer these days. I haven't looked at one in years. The last time I considered one was Audi Fidelity for the RS6, and it just didn't make financial sense at the time, but then I like to wrench on my cars and have access to a great indy. The Alfa dealer didn't offer any extended warranty products during the purchase process.

Are all Canada dealers refusing to allow a test drive of the QV? At least here, if you show up with the cash and throw down the gauntlet, the dealer will cave to make the sale if they have inventory on the lot. Perhaps someone in a more northern climate with a QV will chime in on their driving experience. I really think you would enjoy the TT-RS more if you don't need the back seat and you are dealing with less than ideal driving conditions on a regular basis. They both sound great in their respective performance modes. The magnetic dampers on the TT-RS are nice, although the ride is a bit more firm than the QV when both are on their softest settings. The TT-RS, of course, feels smaller and lighter because it is. The Giulia does have some magic about it and the steering is just wonderful, not to say that the TT-RS is bad. I would say pushing the Giulia feels more like a dance while the TT-RS is just unflappable, predictable precision. I actually emailed back and forth with a well known automotive journalist about both cars before they released as he had test driven and reviewed them and, as he said, they were the two best cars he drove all year and very tough to choose between. He did give the nod to the Alfa, only because he felt like not enough people were buying them and he wanted to see the brand succeed here.
It's not that dealers here don't allow test drives - they just don't have the cars. It also is frustrating, that they don't seem to know enough about the car. I'm finding out more info on forums and reviews than from the dealers themselves.

Really appreciate your input! I really like the look of the TT RS, but LOVE the look of the QV. like i said before, if the QV had AWD, there would not be any hesitation, even with the lack of reliability track record at this stage. I wish i could drive both back to back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have any input for your choice, just wanted to reiterate that the carbon fiber steering wheel IS heated. I have one, it is very heated. And you want it, it's gorgeous. That is all.
This is one of the frustrating things with the dealers - they either don't know enough about the car, or there may be a difference in canadian options - which sounds strange, since heated steering is a no-brainer in this climate. They were very specific to me that because of the properties of carbon fibre, it can't be heated. I guess i need to check if its an options issue, or if they are just plan clueless.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to clarify, you can get the heated carbon fiber steering wheel as a separate option, but the Sparco carbon fiber seats are NOT heated in any configuration.
Thanks for the response! Im going to contact the dealer again. I really wish the Sparco seats were heated - they look beautiful in the youtube videos and photos!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im leaning more and more to the QV - i just wish i could test drive it!!

I liked the original RS5 when it first came out, but i agree the new one is just blah!

@kss Chiming in to agree the wheel is heated, at least in the USA. I know options differ, so Canada COULD be different, but it wouldn't make sense on this particular option since you are much colder.

I haven't driven a TT RS or RS5, but did seriously consider the S5 Sportback vs. my QV. The tech on the S5 is worlds ahead. But the TT RS doesn't get all of those same tech features, so not a direct comparison. The RS5 is too boring looking IMHO.

The S5 SB, while awesome in tech, handling was significantly less involving than the QV. Slower too, but still plenty fast. Much better looking than the RS5, but honestly, never going to be noticed against a QV.

I don't have snow tires on my QV, not needed in Vegas. However, the factory tires scare the crap out of me when it's below 50 here. It slides at the slightest provocation in any mode other than A. Easily remedied via other tires, but the TT RS and RS5 with proper tires will still be better in cold/snow simply due to the AWD. Nothing will change that.

But there are several drivers here with QVs in snow areas that are daily driving them, so it can be done.

Vote with your heart, life it too short to compromise if you don't have to.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My input is a little late and it seems previous posters have covered the variables you are considering. Anyway, for what it's worth, I came out of an RS4 into the Quad (I also owned an early model TT, but with only 225HP).

I loved the RS4 and considered it the best car I had owned until I bought the QV. The AWD was a great feature for Winter driving and the car was a great performer. I thought I was going to miss it terribly when I traded it in. I don't...not at all. Not even a little bit. The Quad is that much better in every way that matters to me. Driving dynamics, acceleration, sheer joy from the experience puts it in another category. I should point out that my RS4 was a 2008, but the soul of a car doesn't really change.

If you care about attention, then the Quad wins every time. People taking photos of it in the cars behind and next to it. Thumbs up every time I'm in it...that kind of thing. Only a few other drivers knew what my RS4 was..only petrolheads though.

The Quad is also not a daily driver for me as I commute on the train. So I can afford to leave it in the garage when it's super cold or icy on the roads.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will love it. Just be sure you don't have regrets about whatever you decide. make the decision and jump in 100%.

Good luck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I used to be AWD > everything too. And I didn't think that was unreasonable, since I live in a climate where we get a significant winter. AND... my DD had to be my one do-everything car. Hence, a succession of Evos, and dreams of a GT-R some day.

Now I have a truck. And that's changed everything, now I can again consider RWD. So... now a QV is my dream car.

I say QV, seems like you're leaning that way too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts