Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a Giulia base model today. The Cary NC Alfa dealer just got some in stock so I stopped by to take a look. I wasn't planning to take it for a drive but the friendly salesman offered, so how could I say no :) Here are my impressions.

The Good:
- I really like the looks of the car. It looks shorter than I expected. It might be the "beefiness" of the proportions. The rear looks good. The front is taller than I expected but looks good. The color was the Alfa Rossa which I liked. They also had a Blue one there and that looks very good also - especially with the upgraded 5-hole wheels.
- The interior appears to be nice. Understated and "normal". I didn't notice anything of poor quality. It reminds me of my BMW interior.
- The ride is quiet. This is both good and bad. The good is that there's not much road noise or tire noise. The bad is that it doesn't sound like an Alfa. More on this later.
- The engine has good power. I'd compare to a BMW 330 or Audi A4 2.0. I'm not sure that the extra claimed 40HP over those models is accurate or maybe it's just not usable.
- The auto transmission is a good one. Shifting is crisp and smooth. The paddle shifters are really nice.

The less than good:
- The engine doesn't excite me. I think it's a combination of the quiet exhaust, no manual gearshift and heavy insulation. I tried revving it out in manual shift mode and it was a little better, but it just doesn't have the old Alfa feeling. Maybe this won't be noticeable to those who haven't experienced the Alfas of old, but I was expecting a little more "sport".

The bad:
- Auto stop-start. The salesman didn't know how to turn it off. I hope that there is some way because it's annoying.
- HVAC had a bad smell, like cat piss. I'm assuming this was from sitting at the port for so long. Hopefully it's nothing permanent.

Overall, It's a very nice car with more personality than comparable german cars - most of that being exterior styling. I would certainly buy it over a BMW 330 or Audi A4 for that reason. I don't think it's going to entice me out of my m235i however. If they bring the Veloce version with 6-speed and performance exhaust, then I might be hooked :)

Anyone else with Giulia or Giulia TI test drive impressions?

Reactions: gjain76

·
Registered
193 Posts
The less than good:
- The engine doesn't excite me. I think it's a combination of the quiet exhaust, no manual gearshift and heavy insulation.
I'm guessing there will be an aftermarket Mopar exhaust at some point? I would have expected the exhaust to sound at least as good as the Abarth 124.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I test drove a Giulia base model today. The Cary NC Alfa dealer just got some in stock so I stopped by to take a look. I wasn't planning to take it for a drive but the friendly salesman offered, so how could I say no :) Here are my impressions.

The Good:
- I really like the looks of the car. It looks shorter than I expected. It might be the "beefiness" of the proportions. The rear looks good. The front is taller than I expected but looks good. The color was the Alfa Rossa which I liked. They also had a Blue one there and that looks very good also - especially with the upgraded 5-hole wheels.
- The interior appears to be nice. Understated and "normal". I didn't notice anything of poor quality. It reminds me of my BMW interior.
- The ride is quiet. This is both good and bad. The good is that there's not much road noise or tire noise. The bad is that it doesn't sound like an Alfa. More on this later.
- The engine has good power. I'd compare to a BMW 330 or Audi A4 2.0. I'm not sure that the extra claimed 40HP over those models is accurate or maybe it's just not usable.
- The auto transmission is a good one. Shifting is crisp and smooth. The paddle shifters are really nice.

The less than good:
- The engine doesn't excite me. I think it's a combination of the quiet exhaust, no manual gearshift and heavy insulation. I tried revving it out in manual shift mode and it was a little better, but it just doesn't have the old Alfa feeling. Maybe this won't be noticeable to those who haven't experienced the Alfas of old, but I was expecting a little more "sport".

The bad:
- Auto stop-start. The salesman didn't know how to turn it off. I hope that there is some way because it's annoying.
- HVAC had a bad smell, like cat piss. I'm assuming this was from sitting at the port for so long. Hopefully it's nothing permanent.

Overall, It's a very nice car with more personality than comparable german cars - most of that being exterior styling. I would certainly buy it over a BMW 330 or Audi A4 for that reason. I don't think it's going to entice me out of my m235i however. If they bring the Veloce version with 6-speed and performance exhaust, then I might be hooked :)

Anyone else with Giulia or Giulia TI test drive impressions?
I HATE STOP-START....switch is to the left by the headlight control. Not sure about the HVAC, hopefully from port. I can't say it'd pull me from my M235i either, unless I had kids and needed four doors. The Veloce with an electric turbo would be brilliant.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I had the opportunity to test drive a Quad and then a Ti. I only went around the block in the Q, I wasn't interested in spending that kind of money on a sedan. I did take the Ti out for about ten miles though. Seriuosly, the only difference that I noted was the power, the rest of the car seemed and felt the same. Perhaps more seat time would prove different. Only the Q has Race Mode. I wasn't interested in the base Giulia and other than the trim level, they're one-in-the-same.

My wife and I both drove the Ti. She like it and felt comfortable. I think it's the biggest car she's ever driven. Before I met her, she had a Datsun 510 (from new) for many years. In my time, she trade in her Volvo 240 wagon with 300,000 (she bought new) for a Fiat 500. She had test driven my ugly old truck once, a 1970 Ford F250. She did well I thought, but she didn't like it and refused to ever drive it again. As I mentioned, she really enjoyed the Ti.

We switched positions and after adjusting all the little things (mirrors, seat, etc), off we went. Being a performance minded car, I drove it in a performance minded fashion. I won't bother comparing it to my 4C, there is no comparison. As compared to most sedans and a BMW SUV that I drove a few years ago, the 2017 Giulia Ti is a breath of fresh air. This is how sedan should have always been built.

It felt planted. Most sedans just wallow as if marshmallows were used in lieu of real suspension components. The Ti was firm without being stiff and rigid. I knew where the car was and what it was doing. It didn't loose composure during a chicane style lane change. Turn off the nannies and I bet this would be a formidable track car. I know, I know, buy a Quadrifoglio if you want a sedan on the track.

Power was nice, not under powered and I certainly don't need 500 HP just to go get groceries. There's room for aftermarket companies to build performance parts. There is a Veloce version in Europe with 350 hp. It has a 2.0 four banger in it just like the Ti does, I assume it's the same block with a better chip and other supporting things like intake and exhaust. 350 hp is a nice step from 280 and would be sweet.

Fit and finish is excellent. Trim packages are nice and offer choices so most everybody should be able to find something that works for them. My dealer had all in stock, black plastic, walnut wood, aluminum, and carbon fiber. The Ti carbon is different than the Quad carbon and I like the Quad carbon much better. But, trim packages don't effect how a car drives.

There are two body packages and until it was pointed out to me, I hadn't even noticed the difference. That's how similar looking they are. The performance package isn't going to effect how the car drives within legal limits. Clearly, I'm not interested in how a car looks while parked, I'm more interested in how it drives. If I don't like how it drives, the rest doesn't matter to me.

The only real difference that I can find between the base and Ti is that the Ti has heated front seats as standard. You can get a base with the cold weather package that includes seat warmers.

We both liked the Giulia Ti enough to seriously entertain purchasing one. But, we had a conflict with trim packages. My wife wanted the beige leather seats in a blue car. I wanted paddle shifters and wood trim. This is a conflict of packages. Lusso Package includes beige leather seats and real wood trim. Performance Package includes paddle shifters and aluminum trim.

Then it was mentioned to me that there's a factory LSD available. I did some digging and found this hidden package. It includes a Limited Slip Differential (LSD), active suspension and paddle shifters. And, it doesn't conflict with the Lusso package. We both can get what we want and I've always liked the 'sleeper' car. Our dealer put in a special order for us and now we wait, in Italian time.

We never played with the radio (infotainment). The radio should never be the deciding factor in a new car purchase. Besides, it's easy enough to change this out later. It was a nice enough day, so we had the windows down and never turned on the heater AC system. The unit in my wife's Fiat 500 works well as does what's in my 4C. I could smell the cosmoline burning off, which is common with any new car.
A well deserved 200 mile break-in run will take care of that :grin2:

I suppose my only real complaint is the exhaust note. There isn't any. But, that's how most purchaser's expect a sedan to be, quite. Quiet it is. I didn't notice any road noise. But, compared to my 4C, a dump truck is quiet. An aftermarket exhaust with some rumble is a must. I'm looking forward to chipping the car (once it's here) and getting that Veloce level performance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
These reviews are great information, thanks for posting!!!

Just patiently waiting for my TI to arrive now, hopefully mine will show up this by tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts