Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The demise of ICE conversation is always interesting. How many of us are chemists who work in battery technology? I'm not one, but close enough to the industry and choose to burn petrol because I'm an A$$Hø13. I see wholesale replacement of ICE at least 10 if not 15-20-more years away, despite all the talk. For the sake of the air quality my kids need to live, I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The demise of ICE conversation is always interesting. How many of us are chemists who work in battery technology? I'm not one, but close enough to the industry and choose to burn petrol because I'm an A$$Hø13. I see wholesale replacement of ICE at least 10 if not 15-20-more years away, despite all the talk. For the sake of the air quality my kids need to live, I hope I'm wrong.
I’m a chemist and chemical engineer but I’m not close to the industry. I’ve been reading quite a bit lately about the progress being made in solid state battery technology which imho is a must to make a significant move away from ice vehicles. I don’t have a crystal ball either but can see the writing on the wall. Even in F1 they’re running hybrids and have the all electric car circuit, yawn. Your timeframe is likely more accurate than mine but the change is coming particularly if we have an administration change following the election (not meant as a political statement for one side or the other just observation about the different energy policy between the parties). Definitely rue the day ice engines become a thing of the past. I’ll be cranking Rush’s red barchetta as I enjoy driving my car long into the future. Twenty years ago fuel cells were all the rage but the tech for that is just not moving the needle much. EVs seem to be following a different trajectory as nearly every vendor has or will be releasing them soon. As mdriver said earlier charging infrastructure has a long way to go. Just wonder where all the electricity is going to come from to charge all these vehicles.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here’s a great link to a video discounting most of what I said. Lol. Although solid state battery tech will be a big leap forward. This guy’s YouTube material is really good.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
so here's a question. what do we do with the lithium batteries that are no longer good or the cars have been totaled due to accident? I understand that the batteries are purported to last between 300k-500k miles. but anyone have a 300k Tesla?

·
Registered
327 Posts
so here's a question. what do we do with the lithium batteries that are no longer good or the cars have been totaled due to accident? I understand that the batteries are purported to last between 300k-500k miles. but anyone have a 300k Tesla?
This is an easy one. We place the batteries in the 55 gallon barrel drums we store nuclear waste in. Lol

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
It will take years to ramp up the electric distribution to supply the power demand.
California can barely produce enough energy as it is. Can you imagine adding 50 million charging vehicles to its grid?
I don't know the exact number but energy production probably needs to double, as well as distribution, capacity of the wires, reconvert gas stations to charging stations...
This is a huge ordeal. Yes we will see more and more electric but I don't see the full switch taking place before 10 years.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Here’s a great link to a video discounting most of what I said. Lol. Although solid state battery tech will be a big leap forward. This guy’s YouTube material is really good.
Thanks for sharing. I've to go to a different browser to see the YouTube lately.

Reactions: Monk

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,522 Posts
I’m guessing this would be funny, unfortunately says video unavailable in the us due to copyright laws. 🙁
probably because it is still under a patent pending in the USA

ah well, lost the timing but this is a shorter version

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,522 Posts
put them in your TV remote

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Things are moving forward on this unfortunate and very sad subject in Europe. The Netherlands, Norway, France, Spain, Sweden, Ireland and the UK have already announced plans for the ICE cars phase-out between 2025 and 2040. Actually, UK moved the ICE cars sales ban forward to 2035, from their original plan of 2040. Specific cities like London, Paris, Amsterdam and Brussels all want to ban ICE cars in 2030-2035. I don’t see us dismantling all the current fossil-fueled industry, economy, infrastructure and culture in the US by 2035-2040. But, electric cars are coming and sometime in the future, everyone will be driving electric cars as the only option (sadly!).

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,970 Posts
Agree, certainly there are major logistical hurdles as you enumerated. This may be the one big change that is brought to the suburbs before the cities. Still waiting on the fiber optic internet connections that some of our city dwelling friends are already enjoying.
My brother lives in a rural area and has fiber to his house. Probably some kind of government subsidy. I don't feel held back by not having it.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts