Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this article published on Sept 29, 2020....

"This sports coupe will be lower, and the length will be decreased. This design places the Alfa Romeo GTV in competition with the Audi RS5, the BMW M4, and the Mercedes-AMG C63 S. "

The information in the article seems to be a mishmash of rumors we've been hearing over the past couple of years. Considering FCA officially cancelled the project last year, I'm not optimistic about this rumor but it would put a big smile on my face if it did come to fruition.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Would love a GTV hybrid coupe if it’s price point is similar to current QVs. Under 90k and it’s doable. Anything Over that and C8 Grand sport is no brainer. Shame alfa is waiting so long.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
You folks think this is real? Has anyone heard a peep from Alfa on this? Surprised if we would learn about this from a magazine as opposed to Alfa. That said, sign me up. I’m ready to order.
I'm in as well. Price this like the new G series M4....and you will have a line out the door.
I just don't see why they don;t??... Use the freaking Giorgio platform with new skin....Hey Alfa have you seen the new Coupe`s???? The M4 is NOT a short wheelbase. The M8 is a damn land yacht!
If there is ANY Engineer on here that can explain WHY this can't be done???
Your making new skin, same powertrain, same ZF, same interior etc. MAYBE MAYBE you need to address the suspension geometry?

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
143 Posts
Nice to daydream about but I wouldn't believe a word of it. Everything we know says AR will be chasing sales via SUVs/CUVs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice to daydream about but I wouldn't believe a word of it. Everything we know says AR will be chasing sales via SUVs/CUVs.
Yeah, that article goes against everything we’ve been hearing. What about the tonale? Anyway, perhaps on getting close to close of the merger the board has decided to go with the original plan. Who knows but I agree, very unlikely.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
This would be great for the brand but I'm happy with a sedan. Ultimate daily driver

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Who really knows what Alfa Romeo is going to do. I want to assume that they actually know. I have read (somewhere ....) about Alfa Romeo leaving the USA and also about Alfa Romeo launching the GTV, about the famous Tonale, no one had any idea of the GTM/GTMa until someones saw it in person somewhere, and some other things. I do not know why a news site can make up such a nice story like this article and great news, other than to lose the few readers they have if it is not true.

I liked what I read there and I hope it is true. My favorites are these two: the ...... After dethroning the BMW M3 with the Giulia Quadrofolio, Alfa Romeo looks to overtake the M4 ..... as well as the .....You can leave it to the Italians to produce irresistible cars that'll leave you stunned ....

·
Registered
327 Posts
The article in question looks a lot like a car and driver article that appeared last yr prior to Alfa’s cancellation notice. I researched the writer and she is not on staff at the magazine in question. I believe she simply looked at old news and rewrote a car and driver piece as filler for the magazine. Based on the information about her it doesn’t appear she would have insider information, just a freelancer who provides fluff pieces. 🙁

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Car models are dropping like flies in the face of Electrocution and Suvism. I'm in the market for a S560 cabrio and they just told me this is the last year of production. WTF?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Car models are dropping like flies in the face of Electrocution and Suvism. I'm in the market for a S560 cabrio and they just told me this is the last year of production. WTF?
In another 10 years there will probably be only a few ice vehicles produced. Solid state battery technology is just about ready for prime time and electric car ranges will start to top 1000km/charge and charging times will be cut in half. We have a front row seat in history for a titanic shift in transportation technology. Reminiscent of living through 80s and 90s with computers and internet. At this rate small electric powered vehicles that fly people may actually be a real possibility. Exciting and sad. Can’t stand the thought of losing the beautiful music my QVs engine makes.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
In another 10 years there will probably be only a few ice vehicles produced. Solid state battery technology is just about ready for prime time and electric car ranges will start to top 1000km/charge and charging times will be cut in half. We have a front row seat in history for a titanic shift in transportation technology. Reminiscent of living through 80s and 90s with computers and internet. At this rate small electric powered vehicles that fly people may actually be a real possibility. Exciting and sad. Can’t stand the thought of losing the beautiful music my QVs engine makes.
Someone is probably already working on a mod (software) to install and bring the 4-stoke engine music into the electric cars. It would be interesting to see (and hear) an electric car sounding like an ICE car. I do not want to even think about that moment but, it is a reality and it's coming.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,970 Posts
As long as we're not compelled to surrender our ICE machines.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
charging infrastructure is way behind in major cities. Suburban and cities with lots of space it’s possible. Anyone who parks in the street every night isn’t guaranteed the same spot not to mention how will all these chargers be installed on every major street in large cities? anyone in NY, Philly, Boston, Baltimore or Chicago would have to commute to charge the car. Doesn’t sound to practical until there are rapid charge stations on every corner. Now the one thing I think will ultimately catch on is the autonomous driving aspect. I personally like to drive and be in control but Imagine a death of a family member in Florida or a 1,000 miles away. You suddenly need 4/5 plane tix for you and kids etc. having the car handle most of driving and saving some money is a huge game changer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
charging infrastructure is way behind in major cities. Suburban and cities with lots of space it’s possible. Anyone who parks in the street every night isn’t guaranteed the same spot not to mention how will all these chargers be installed on every major street in large cities? anyone in NY, Philly, Boston, Baltimore or Chicago would have to commute to charge the car. Doesn’t sound to practical until there are rapid charge stations on every corner. Now the one thing I think will ultimately catch on is the autonomous driving aspect. I personally like to drive and be in control but Imagine a death of a family member in Florida or a 1,000 miles away. You suddenly need 4/5 plane tix for you and kids etc. having the car handle most of driving and saving some money is a huge game changer.
Agree, certainly there are major logistical hurdles as you enumerated. This may be the one big change that is brought to the suburbs before the cities. Still waiting on the fiber optic internet connections that some of our city dwelling friends are already enjoying.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
while I agree it is inevitable, I'm not so sure the rank & file are just yet ready. not to mention the entire energy sector for oil and all the other supported industries related to it. I for one will not ever purchase one. just me, just how I feel. the visceral feel & sound of a sports car/sedan is music. not ready to have George Jetson as my neighbor ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts