Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Sept/Oct Automobile magazine. Page 39 details the arrival of the GTV. Estimated arrival in the summer of 2019. Question is, if you’re thinking about a Giulia, or have your eyes on getting one? Will this news change your mind about getting a 4 door, and opting for a the 2 door coupe? I’ll bet the (not mentioned) 2.0 version will be quite remarkable. Not to mention the 600 hp Q.V.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's nice, but coupes really don't sell. And $100K super coupes sell even less. Alfa needs to fill out their lineup with cars people actually buy. Follow Volvo's model. They need three SUVs - small, medium (they have the Stelvio), large. They have the Giulia, they need a larger sedan to compete with the 5 series/E class. Forget the segment above that, leave that to Maserati to compete with the S/7/A8 (Tesla S takes alot of sales in that segment). Once they fill out the lineup, then they can dabble with niche cars - coupes, convertibles. But if Alfa is going to make it in the US, they need to generate more sales numbers and they need cars in the segments where people are buying.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Is it Aprils Fools Day???!!!
that Automobile magazine article is fiction...est cost 45k??? smack a "1" in front of that 45k....for a 600hp Hybrid Technology coupe`....I will believe it when I see it...why would they make a "one-off" run of a car? at this juncture?
I would like to see a coupe` QV and with 505hp it would be plenty quick...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Is it Aprils Fools Day???!!!
that Automobile magazine article is fiction...est cost 45k??? smack a "1" in front of that 45k....for a 600hp Hybrid Technology coupe`....I will believe it when I see it...why would they make a "one-off" run of a car? at this juncture?
I would like to see a coupe` QV and with 505hp it would be plenty quick...
I took it that the base non-hybrid coupe would start at $45k?

You figure under the skin it’s a Giulia so no point in NOT offering a base 2.0 model.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Would be interesting. I'm also interested in the 8C

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I took it that the base non-hybrid coupe would start at $45k?

You figure under the skin it’s a Giulia so no point in NOT offering a base 2.0 model.
Hmmm not so sure....IF Alfa brings the Veloce here with a mid-range 350hp engine sedan...
I could def. see two coupe versions at price points that would sell....350hp & 505hp...position the 505 just like a QV Giulia at slightly under 100k..and the GTV 350 at say 50-60..then IMHO you have a winning formula...
all just chit-chat for now...lets see what transpires under the new "Capo-Regine":wink2:

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's an artist's rendering, not an Alfa-approved photo. However, I bet they're not too far off.

The MSRP certainly points to the standard model. The 600 hp version will flirt with 100K.

The existence of a coupe doesn't change my opinion of the sedan, which I own. Coupes often look sportier, but the 4-door resonates very well with my eyes as-is. I look out to the driveway and think, 'Alfa really nailed it this time."

I had the QV out this afternoon and at no point did I ever feel that it needed more power. Not once. I was in race mode, however. If I could get the performance of race mode in "D" mode, with the traction control engaged, etc.... well, I'd be interested in that. That's something a 600 hp Giulia might deliver.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"Hot Hatch" cars don't do well here unfortunately...much like wagons..[/QUOTE

I agree....Not sure though if Alfa should bring a "hot hatch" to the US....Maybe it should be a FIAT ....I think that FCA should not follow the BMW / Merc / Audi model of a model in every segment....Let Maserati duke it out with the 7 Series, S Class and A 8's of the world and let FIAT duke it out with the small eco / sport class 2 Series and A 3's etc....In Europe Alfa has had a long history of "Hot Hatches" going all the way back to the Alfasud and the Sprint Veloce and of late the Giulietta....But since they are re-inventing themselves here, going down market will, in my opinion, sabotage their high end offerings....I think that FCA can compete in each segment, but let Maser do top dog, Alfa should do high performance middle dog, and Fiat eco segment but sportier....I think FIAT would benefit enormously from a Hot Hatch (VW Golf) competitor and a no frills 4 door sedan CIVIC fighter....JMHO....D

Reactions: Rutlefan

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hmmm not so sure....IF Alfa brings the Veloce here with a mid-range 350hp engine sedan...
I could def. see two coupe versions at price points that would sell....350hp & 505hp...position the 505 just like a QV Giulia at slightly under 100k..and the GTV 350 at say 50-60..then IMHO you have a winning formula...
all just chit-chat for now...lets see what transpires under the new "Capo-Regine":wink2:
Maybe a 2.0 hybrid is actually the Veloce people have been waiting for all along. You figure 380HP and gobs of torque. Would slot nicely in the future range with availbe HP’s of 280-380-505-600. Nice even spread...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like the look, wouldn't be bad having another choice in the lineup. I don't see it being a big seller though for the same reasons others have mentioned. Honestly this car is hands down the best looking sedan I've owned.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I’m thinking the beginning 45k price point might be referring a 350bhp 2.0 liter variant base for the GTV. The 600bhp would be much higher priced QV Version. As far as the GTV style rendering. I’m not liking the common looking “C” piller rear sloping design, already done and too much like infinity coupes and others, as metioned here. Alfa Romeo design historically lives in the realm of unique body stying.This rending leaves me flat.. The Giulia has tremendous stying cues throughout and the GTV needs to carry on this tradition. But this is only a rendering. I would hope this future GTV will be as eye-catching and not disappear on road when it makes its debut next summer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
They either do a niche, and focus on hot sedans and coupes, or go with SUV's and do the me too. SUV is likely a necessity to stay afloat. Enthusiasts don't pay the bills for a manufacturer.

We all alike sport coupes, hatches and sedans, but we're car people. Vast majority of Mericans like those big ugly blinged out shitty SUV's -'lifestyle' vehicles- that kind of garbage sells to the lemmings.

rjp

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it's all just blabber and smoke for now - but a proper gtv would be much smaller than the 4 door, so the revised chassis could also be the basis for a new giulietta size sedan/hatch/crossover.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would absolutely love a 2door Giulia.

But, I'm also in the minority...as I see car types in the following order from best to worst:
1. Roadsters / sports cars (2 seater, 2 doors)
2. coupes (4 seater, 2 doors)
3. sedans (4 seater, 4 doors)
4. trucks
5. boring hybrids (prius, volt, etc)
6. mopeds
7. suvs

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I would absolutely love a 2door Giulia.

But, I'm also in the minority...as I see car types in the following order from best to worst:
1. Roadsters / sports cars (2 seater, 2 doors)
2. coupes (2 seater, 4 doors)
3. sedans (4 seater, 4 doors)
4. trucks
5. boring hybrids (prius, volt, etc)
6. mopeds
7. suvs
2. Coupes (2 seater, 4 door)? does that include a roof door? Climb in from above?:smile2:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts