Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 years, I finally said goodbye to my GT-R. I actually owned two: a 2015 GT-R Black Edition, and a 2012 Black Edition that I traded-in. Both were awesome and I loved almost every minute of it. They were fast, reliable, and fun. I could transport the whole family to 60 mph in less than 3 seconds. It truly is an everyday supercar.

But I felt it was time to give her up. The ride was stiff, and made my wife sick every time she got in it. My 6 year-old was having problems getting into the back seat, now that she is getting bigger. And I was never using the GT-R anywhere near its limits.

Enter the 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. My wife and I were both at the Motor Trend Car of the Year award show and I fell in love at first sight. It is an absolutely amazing car and I actually don’t miss the GT-R much. Better ride quality, better handling feel, much better exhaust note, and just about the same amount of perceived power from what I can tell from my butt dyno. I couldn’t be happier!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the QV.. Interesting story and surprising to hear you came from a GT-R. I just sold my ISF and the natural progression for ISF owners after they leave Lexus have been to get a GTR. So when I said I was going Alfa after the ISF, i got even more hate and "why don't you just get a GT-R" its more reliable than that Alfa.. . lol. Awesome cars but i have a sweet spot ofr the R33. that would be my choice if I ever get one.

Anyway.. beautiful car!!

Reactions: drbobbybones

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the GT-R is great, but is much more challenging to live with for day to day life. If you have kids, it becomes harder and harder to get them into the car seats as they get bigger. The 2015 has a softer suspension than the 2012, but both are quite punishing on anything less than perfect roads.

For me, the QV is perfect. A practical 4 door with incredible power, feel, and balance. I love it!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome, great choice to replace the gtr, the qv cars are a serious machine.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
The GT-R is one of those cars that even if you don't love it (I personally do), you do have to respect it because the technology is pretty intense.

Glad to hear you are liking the Giulia QV so far.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Congratulations!

welcome to the club! enjoy the new QV...
Funny thing about the GT-R for me, I never really warmed up to it when it came out, it just looked to "video game" in appearance, it didn't flow like Supras and the like...and then add in all the "tech" inside...I "get it" it was crazy fast...but it left me cold...
Fast forward to my last HPDE as an instructor at MMC which hosted the last HPDE that car clubs would hold there...
my student was a Dr from Schenectady NY..and he rolls in with a GT-R with some mods, his first HPDE. Needless to say I judged a book by its cover and was so wrong, great guy, great student, quicker learner..and the car!!!!!!:surprise:..absolutely amazing, the car's girth becomes a non-factor at the track...it was so nimble and responsive...it was blistering fast...and was confidence inspiring...in short it truly was a Godzilla...came away with nothing but respect & love for that car...having had both to the track....I promise you will NOT be disappointed in the QV.
Enjoy!
M

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Congrats Doc and welcome to the QV club!

With all due respect to the GT-R, the QV truly is an amazing car in every aspect from a sophisticated family hauler to a race car, enjoy every moment with her!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Exact same color combo on QV. I’ve always loved the GT-R and wanted one but my brother beat me to it. It was impressive but it made me wonder if I actually wanted to live with one and ultimately decided against it.

I’ve never hade one iota of doubt about buying the Giulia QV. I considered the Stelvio QV but decided I’m really not a SUV person. Fast forward to this past Saturday when I drove up to Miller Motorcars in CT to pick up my plates. I decided to pick up a Mclaren golf shirt for my brother’s birthday at their showroom down the street. I pulled in between a Ferrari Lusso on my left and a Mclaren on my right, very very very carefully. After I went inside and chatted up the salesman who was a really nice guy I got the shirt and saw some people out in the parking lot taking photos of cars and the dealer told me it happens all the time. The funny thing was they were taking photos of my red Quadrifoglio and ignoring the Ferrari and Mclaren despite the fact the Alfa dealer is only about 200 yards away. The QV is certainly a car that can make you smile behind the wheel or just standing there from afar...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welcome to the club! enjoy the new QV...
Funny thing about the GT-R for me, I never really warmed up to it when it came out, it just looked to "video game" in appearance, it didn't flow like Supras and the like...and then add in all the "tech" inside...I "get it" it was crazy fast...but it left me cold...
Fast forward to my last HPDE as an instructor at MMC which hosted the last HPDE that car clubs would hold there...
my student was a Dr from Schenectady NY..and he rolls in with a GT-R with some mods, his first HPDE. Needless to say I judged a book by its cover and was so wrong, great guy, great student, quicker learner..and the car!!!!!!:surprise:..absolutely amazing, the car's girth becomes a non-factor at the track...it was so nimble and responsive...it was blistering fast...and was confidence inspiring...in short it truly was a Godzilla...came away with nothing but respect & love for that car...having had both to the track....I promise you will NOT be disappointed in the QV.
Enjoy!
M
I have driven a GT-R around a track and it is an incredible experience. So much grip and power. You never feel overwhelmed by the car and you can brake super late because the AWD will help you fire out of the apex super quickly. But it is a challenging car to "steer" with your right foot because of the torque vectoring and yaw control. You kinda just go where the nose is pointed and mash your foot.

The QV, in my short time with it seems much easier to modulate the back end with your right foot. Although it is probably slower around most tracks it seems much more involving and fun. Can't wait to eventually give it a spin around a track!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts OP!

GT-R has long been a dream car of mine...but leaning more towards QV now.

Seems like some of your impetus for change was lifestyle of DD a GT-R. Driving wise though, you don't seem to think QV gives up much?

I think in the end I'll have to drive both as close to back to back as I can.

With sports sedans so good these days though, seems like the sacrifices of a more traditional sports car (GT-R, 911, Corvette) are becoming more questionable...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Awesome and welcome! The exhaust note on the QV is great. Just this morning I had an impression... it sounds like a choir of gladiator horns in the Colosseum. Or a choir of trombones, you know, that the composers use in all the epic ancient war movies. (I'm a musician "Gladiator, 300, Immortals"). Throw in some Tubas and trumpets (tubi) just for fun. The length tuning on the turbo manifolds is brilliant. And the piping afterwards just the same. And when you get on it? I mean seriously, some fools were drag racing me over lunch yesterday when I went out for a cruise now that the weather is improving. This Chrysler mini van just had to stomp on it. I was making plenty of noise anyhow but 3K rpm wasn't good enough. So I get on it and show then what she's got. Holy moly, I'm trying to keep the revs down over break in, but when I got up over 4K and shifted the bark was ferocious! No it's not a fart, it's a bark. ;)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wasn't used much in Gladiator but this is what I saw recently: Immortals. First note of the trailer, and throughout ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for sharing your thoughts OP!

GT-R has long been a dream car of mine...but leaning more towards QV now.

Seems like some of your impetus for change was lifestyle of DD a GT-R. Driving wise though, you don't seem to think QV gives up much?

I think in the end I'll have to drive both as close to back to back as I can.

With sports sedans so good these days though, seems like the sacrifices of a more traditional sports car (GT-R, 911, Corvette) are becoming more questionable...

Yes, most of the need for change was because of lifestyle changes. But to be honest, I was getting a bit tired of the punishing ride of the GT-R on LA roads. I needed a change, and the QV had exactly what I needed: fast, four-door, sexy, excellent chassis balance. Hopefully it also has good reliability as well. The GT-R was one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Never had any mechanical issues or unscheduled service visits.

Thus far, the QV seems to not give up that much at all as far as performance. From a standstill, the GT-R is faster because of the AWD, but on the freeway the difference is minimal. The traction limits on both cars are very high, but the QV seems to be able to be modulated a bit easier than the GT-R.

One of the nicest things about the QV is the ability to change the behavior of the car to a snarling beast in Race mode to a docile comfortable econobox in Advanced Efficiency mode. After a long day, sometimes I just want to put the suspension into soft and drive home in comfort. Can't do that in a GT-R.

Reactions: lowlight

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
@drbobbybones - is/was the QV/GTR a daily driver? Interested if you feel you'd get the comfort (or lack of) with the GTR for just weekends/track experience? Want to establish if you feel occasional use would give you that grind?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@drbobbybones - is/was the QV/GTR a daily driver? Interested if you feel you'd get the comfort (or lack of) with the GTR for just weekends/track experience? Want to establish if you feel occasional use would give you that grind?

Both the GT-R and the QV were/are my daily drivers. I don't have the garage space or a wife that would allow me to have a separate daily and weekend car.

If I were to go with an occasional use car for the track, I would probably go for a mid-engine 2 seater. The NSX is the new hotness and is currently being almost given away by Acura dealers at the moment. I've toyed with the idea of getting an Ariel Atom as well--probably will get one in the next two or three years after my new house is built.

Reactions: FNM and lowlight

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Thanks! I did the FDRX7 as a DD for years and said never again. As much as I loved it, the bills were astronomical (even running costs, especially in the UK) so my next is going to be a weekend/track goddess. Good choices! I'm building a large garage to get around one of your issues lol

Atom looks way cool but I need a roof. NSX is sexy as heck, saw one in the flesh at LRP.. lovely. I love the thought it being able to destroy the majority of things on the road with a GTR/QV so very interesting to hear your experiences.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :smile2:
Congrats :grin2:

Looking forward to hearing about your track exploits, regardless of what car you track.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts