Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is impossible getting in our driveway without navigating at a serious angle and then crossing your fingers. Is there anything that can be done to raise the height about a half inch at least. We already increase tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's all about the height of ground under the nose vs the height where the wheels are. Fill in the low points of the transition to make the slope less steep. Even a 1x6 board across the lowest point in the transition would raise the nose an inch until you figure out something more permanent. A picture of your driveway transition would help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
^^^Good responses.

The QV is a caliber of car you make changes for, not the other way around.

Already not pleased 2018 & newer QV get increased spring height compared to 2017 models...likely regarding complaints like the above.

This is why Europe gets all the nice things & North America gets SUVs.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
^^^Good responses.

The QV is a caliber of car you make changes for, not the other way around.

Already not pleased 2018 & newer QV get increased spring height compared to 2017 models...likely regarding complaints like the above.

This is why Europe gets all the nice things & North America gets SUVs.
Curiously Stelvio seems to be selling much better in Europe than in NA. I believe that CUVs are a big seller in Europe. Full size SUVs, not so much largely because they are not practical on Europe's narrow roads.

Anyway if Minime has a 2017 QV, maybe fitting 2018 QV springs would work?

If not, maybe something like the following would work. This is what I have been moving (very slowly) towards:

http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/vrh-lift-system-product

I need a way to lift the car (ETA, later this week) so I can examine and photograph the OEM suspension to see if the above kit can fit. I also need to see if I can get a "spare" set of shocks at a tolerable cost, since the shocks have to be modified to fit this kit and I don't want to have my car down while that is happening.

Rather pricey, but anything custom made to order is going to be pricey.

There are several other manufacturers of similar systems, but none of them wants to make something to fit Giulia with the electronically controlled shocks.

Gutter bridges are great until you encounter a problem spot away from home.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
maybe , lowlight, it was a problem in europe too - unless no one there has driveways?

most everyone in the world wants more space in their daily car - but in europe long and wide can be an issue, hence the popularity there for taller vehicles - it is nothing new, you can call em what you want.
wouldn't it be wonderful if families in the US were still driving little galaxie 500 or polara "estate' wagons, a country squire is so much more palatable than a Q or x 3.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of curb is it? They make curb bridges that can ease the transition. Griots has a model for rolled curbs. You could always just use some asphalt patch or cement to ease the angle somewhat. It’s probably easier and cheaper than messing with raising the car, and maybe hurting the handling...

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/curb+bridge.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search
This looks awesome. My only concern would be that it won’t last long unless something makes it hard to steal. I had some left over mortar and poured it into the roll curb’s deepest part. If this city dings me for drainage it should be realively easy to chip off and then I will give this a shot. It is just a brunch to high. If we come in on a very specific angle we clear it but it is a tricky angle.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This looks awesome. My only concern would be that it won’t last long unless something makes it hard to steal. I had some left over mortar and poured it into the roll curb’s deepest part. If this city dings me for drainage it should be realively easy to chip off and then I will give this a shot. It is just a brunch to high. If we come in on a very specific angle we clear it but it is a tricky angle.
You could get a couple of tubes of landscape adhesive and stick it down really well. If someone wanted to steal it it would take lots of work but really all you want to do is discourage a passerby from trying to grab it and run. As with any theft situation if someone really wants it they will find a way...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where are people getting this 2018 increased spring height information from?
I haven’t seen anything confirming it but could be missing something. From what I recall someone noticed their 2018 seemed higher than the 17’s and some took measurements. From the measurements it seemed something was different from 2017 to 2018. The 18’s were consistently higher.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could get a couple of tubes of landscape adhesive and stick it down really well. If someone wanted to steal it it would take lots of work but really all you want to do is discourage a passerby from trying to grab it and run. As with any theft situation if someone really wants it they will find a way...
That will work. That wont help the speed bump though. They should really slope those but this is in a company parking lot and they can pretty much do whatever they want. I think if you just take it super slow you won’t have a problem. I drove the car in the same parking lot and hit the bumps but I didn’t scrape. My co-driver not so lucky. I think you just have to be very vigilante and pay attention. We were on the highway and there was so metal likely from an accident that was pulled over but he spotted it and we were able to slow up and avoid that which would have been a nightmare.

I posted pics of the clearance we have. I am pretty sure we are sitting with the 17 QV springs so we have the option to spend the money and raise it with the springs. Not sure when we change out the p zeros to a Michelin if that may have a little more height to them. The p zeros look like run flats but of course they are not. They just look like it.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Where are people getting this 2018 increased spring height information from?
There is a long thread on the subject. At least if measured from the ground to the top of the wheel arches, the 2018 QV is slightly less than 1" higher than the 2017 QV.

As was pointed out in the thread, it would be better to measure the height from the ground to the suspension bushings, but that is difficult to do.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have used bridge-it curb ramps for 5 years. I considered leaving them out, assembled from 3 parts, but decided against it. It didn't make sense with the street sweepers and snow plows. But I did drill them out, extra holes just recently, so I can move and hide them more easily. They weight a ton but passers by were curious when I left them out. So I drilled a set of 5 dice patterns, or pierced steel plate. All together I have lightened them by 15 pounds. It makes a difference but still heavy. It is actually more critical for the diffuser when you back up. It's lower than the spliltter. The spring height IS higher on 2018s. By like a half inch. A little crazy but I hope it settles. You can see the pivot in the gap.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
That will work. That wont help the speed bump though. They should really slope those but this is in a company parking lot and they can pretty much do whatever they want. I think if you just take it super slow you won’t have a problem. I drove the car in the same parking lot and hit the bumps but I didn’t scrape. My co-driver not so lucky. I think you just have to be very vigilante and pay attention. We were on the highway and there was so metal likely from an accident that was pulled over but he spotted it and we were able to slow up and avoid that which would have been a nightmare.

I posted pics of the clearance we have. I am pretty sure we are sitting with the 17 QV springs so we have the option to spend the money and raise it with the springs. Not sure when we change out the p zeros to a Michelin if that may have a little more height to them. The p zeros look like run flats but of course they are not. They just look like it.
A web search should turn up the one guy selling a patented variable ride height system with sensors so that it automatically rises at curbs, driveways and speed bumps. He has an impressive demonstration on his NSX, but it is unclear if he has anything for any other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If you resort to a fill (mortar or concrete) to smooth the transition, a PVC pipe laid against the curb/surface angle will allow water to flow through (at a reduced rate) and make the material easier to chip out if the city has a cow.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you resort to a fill (mortar or concrete) to smooth the transition, a PVC pipe laid against the curb/surface angle will allow water to flow through (at a reduced rate) and make the material easier to chip out if the city has a cow.
Good idea. Thanks

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
That will work. That wont help the speed bump though. They should really slope those but this is in a company parking lot and they can pretty much do whatever they want.
What if you go and toss some cement during the weekend... Then on Monday morning it's all dry and ready to use >:)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great idea but.....

What if you go and toss some cement during the weekend... Then on Monday morning it's all dry and ready to use >:)
Parking lot cameras. Although I am thinking my husband would say it was a real good idea for me to perform that landscape change so I would be cuffed for a few days for damage to property and would give him free sailing in the QV while I am otherwise not available.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts