Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. First post here. Purchased my QV a couple weeks ago and decided to take it to Road Atlanta instead of my mkiii TTS. Still essentially a novice driver and the track is new to me. This run was done in dynamic and not race mode.

I think some people have covered some of the concerns pretty well. Camber, wheels, and tires. I would ultimately like to mount 265s and 305s on wheels with appropriate widths.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes! Now hit that apex right at the bridge before the last sweeper. Carry your speed and use all the track! Way to reel in those bimmers. :D

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Nicely done, was this a CCA event? And did you have an instructor in the car? I mention this only because you mention that you would say you are novice and there is a voice in the background.
RA is a great track hope to make it back there someday
Enjoy the Quad!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Between work and posting errors I keep on losing my reply! Should have pasted it on notepad.

Nicely done, was this a CCA event? And did you have an instructor in the car? I mention this only because you mention that you would say you are novice and there is a voice in the background.
RA is a great track hope to make it back there someday
Enjoy the Quad!
Thanks. This was not a CCA event. Gridlife put it on and you kind of pick your group based on comfort level. Last event I was in a group of my own vs friends and acquaintances. It had a lot of traffic and I was moving faster than most. Decided to step up to the advanced group here. It was a little more interesting track with the elevation changes, but I listened to the words of Ludacris (he did actually perform there) and when people were behind me I moved and got out of the way. The voice you heard was my significant other / the vehicle's co-owner.

I had friends from my local Shop who attended Gridlife sending me pictures of you ;).

What was your best time?
Between moving out of the way of some high horsepower vehicles and trying to get through traffic there weren't too many clean laps. I didn't post anything better than this although I did have some similar times.

Got lucky that traffic was the worst part of our group. Maybe just a couple of people that shouldn't have been in that group at all. However, there were some decent wrecks in time attack and one noteworthy accident between two walls and two vehicles in the intermediate group (coming out of turn 12).

Along with a few vehicle modifications, my goal will to be to sign up for a legit school.
@kanundrum if you have any good ones, please share :)!

----------------------

I'm going to look in getting some custom wheels made. That might require a group buy. Anyone want to Photoshop some TE37s on a Giulia? Would love to put some 305s and 265s on with the correct width wheel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think so. I have coworkers / friends that are signed up for all of them. Might be able to squeeze one more in.

I wanted to do at least one with the R8 this year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What did you think of Gridlife?

If you'd like some feedback, I would suggest lengthening the entry phase of the corner. Initiate your turn-in sooner, but make it more gradual so it happens over a longer period, while simultaneously lengthening your brake release. Right now I see you turning in a little late everywhere, overslowing the entry.

Work on this over time, assuming you're already very consistent. It does take away some buffer room if you overcook the entry. It will make the car enter the turn more efficiently (with higher speed), though, carrying your speed further.

I'm uploading a lap for you, for reference. E36 325is on street tires. It's a racecar, so a lot lighter, but probably only a little more grip and half the power. Less than 200 WHP.
https://youtu.be/xVg88k2jz78

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the feedback.

No instructor time ever, new vehicle and neatest track I've been on. First time as well for that.

I was following ZHPs most of the time as my group had tons of them. At this point I had said goodbye to the tires and just wanted to see what driving it too hard would yield.

One thing that didn't always get disabled was the automatic braking. Sometimes I thought I had it off and it would lock up my brakes even when I let go. Have to triple check that next time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you for the feedback.

No instructor time ever, new vehicle and neatest track I've been on. First time as well for that.

I was following ZHPs most of the time as my group had tons of them. At this point I had said goodbye to the tires and just wanted to see what driving it too hard would yield.

One thing that didn't always get disabled was the automatic braking. Sometimes I thought I had it off and it would lock up my brakes even when I let go. Have to triple check that next time.
Yeah, I've been advising the BMWCCA on how to guarantee that the ADAS (advanced driver aids) systems are disabled. Not only automatic braking, but lane keep assist, as well. I think foil tape over the camera (usually behind the windshield where the rearview mirror is) and milliwave radar (in the grilles somewhere) would be the best way so that they deactivate themselves.

You look like you're doing well for not having any instructed time. At that track, or ever? I really don't like uninstructed DE's for novide to intermediate drivers, as I think it's important to build a good foundation from the beginning, but that's my opinion. Gridlife's chief instructor is a friend of mine and we've talked about it a bit. They're a little too loose for my liking, but their events are extraordinarily popular.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First event I had someone ride along. 2013 when I had an FR-S, but I was learning more things at the time like track etiquette. Since then it's been all open track days.

After the third event (all different tracks) I stuck to AWD vehicles, and now I have my first high power RWD car. Technically it's my Fiancé's. At the time the only miles on it were from driving it down to Atlanta.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nice! 2015 you mean though? I work for Ft86speedfactory / Subispeed. Been around them a lot.

Never been on that track but as far as Texas goes, my first event was at TWS and then Grandsport.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice! 2015 you mean though? I work for Ft86speedfactory / Subispeed. Been around them a lot.

Never been on that track but as far as Texas goes, my first event was at TWS and then Grandsport.
Oops!! YES. 2010 was in a turbo E30 and we finished 4th Overall and 1st in Class. www.DTROneLap.com :)

I grew quite fond of that turbo FR-S, and I'm not much of a turbo guy!

You're probably aware of Turn-In Concepts in Cincinnati. Tony is a good friend of mine and they did an engine rebuild on that FR-S.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.