Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few questions here the past few days. Yesterday I took the plunge and leased a 2017 Giulia Q4.

My car is a base model with winter package (naturally, I live in Northern Michigan), sport interior and exterior packages, and dual-pane roof. It is Alfa White over red with red calipers.

I have been an Alfa fan ever since I can remember, but this is my first one. I have owned a number of collector cars over the years (Triumph, MG, Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette, and a couple of Miatas along with some motorcycles) but a Alfa never seemed to come along when I was looking.

Ironically, about 15 years ago when I finished graduate school I worked on a consulting project for Alfa Romeo and had a chance to drive 147s and 156s at Balocco. Talk about torture not being able to buy one of those here in the States!

Anyway, fast forward to now and I finally have one of my own, albeit on a 2-year lease.

So far, my impressions are very positive. I would hope so, since I just bought one. The rear seat is much more accommodating than I expected. I have two children (13 & 8) and they love it.

The base seats are comfortable to me. I read all sorts of complaints about the short bottom cushions, but I have definitely seen worse and I find these comfortable. Yeah, a bit of angle adjustment for the seat bottom would only help, but I drove the car home 2.5 hours yesterday with no complaint.

The base stereo also exceeds my expectations. The phone integration is minimal, but it seems to be working fine and the sound quality is excellent. Since CarPlay doesn't work with Waze, I didn't think it worth waiting for.

I was looking at all sorts of cars, from this to a more "family friendly" SUV, but I just knew the Alfa would haunt me if I didn't get it. The ski passthrough in the back seats allowed me to rationalize the purchase a bit more. ;-)

A couple of small nits so far: it would be nice to have a better place to put the phone when it is plugged in. I used the USB plug at the bottom center of the dash and set the phone in the cup holder so I could use the nav. The plugs in the center console are ok but there is no hole or space for the cord to reach out from there... unlike nearly every other car on the market.

A 12v outlet for the back seats would be nice to augment the weak USB output. Again, I am probably a bit of an edge case since Ineill likely be using the car with kids in the backnfor some trips. The aforementioned lack of a hole in the center console for accessing the single 12v plug would have also helped with this.

That's about it so far. Now it's time to go enjoy the drive!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Congrats and welcome - it's an awesome car and prepare for the looks/interest. Agree with the comments about the CarPlay - my experience with it has been 'nice but don't care'. Phone wise, seemingly most of us have some for holders or varying shapes and sizes I'd grab your favorite design, there's a few threads with popular options.

Keep us posted about your experiences :)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,120 Posts
Congrats, Steve. Is that the Grand Rapids car?

Agree with your observations about the weak USB jack output and lack of a wire routing slot in the console.

Where do you ski? How cool it would be to have two white Giulias parked side-by-side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I bought the car in Grand Rapids. We usually ski around Traverse City. My kids just started skiing a year ago (we recently moved here from California) and have been enjoying Crystal Mountain and a couple of the municipal hills here in town. This winter we hope to get tomsome of the other resorts North of here around Boyne.

The Giulia would look cool with ski racks, I wonder if they exist for this car?

I really wanted a car in some interesting colors but it seemed whoever ordered inventory for base Giulias figured everyone would want black or gray with black interiors. I think they miscalculated. Alfa Romeo customers aren't the same as Chrysler buyers... I hope they figure this out.

This white/red seemed to be the only such one anywhere remotely close to me. I love the look. The car does appear to have been in their inventory for quite a while, about 8 months. They assured me they performed all of the computer updates before delivery and the car has performed spotlessly so far.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes, I bought the car in Grand Rapids. We usually ski around Traverse City. My kids just started skiing a year ago (we recently moved here from California) and have been enjoying Crystal Mountain and a couple of the municipal hills here in town. This winter we hope to get tomsome of the other resorts North of here around Boyne.

The Giulia would look cool with ski racks, I wonder if they exist for this car?

I really wanted a car in some interesting colors but it seemed whoever ordered inventory for base Giulias figured everyone would want black or gray with black interiors. I think they miscalculated. Alfa Romeo customers aren't the same as Chrysler buyers... I hope they figure this out.

This white/red seemed to be the only such one anywhere remotely close to me. I love the look. The car does appear to have been in their inventory for quite a while, about 8 months. They assured me they performed all of the computer updates before delivery and the car has performed spotlessly so far.
Welcome :)
Congrats :grin2:

Ski racks and other accsessories are availble on the Euro site, but not the American site.
http://www.mopar.eu/Resources/restyle_2016/catalogs/en/accessories/giulia_en.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts