Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one buys a Giulia for gas mileage, but I wanted to share my results for a recent 100 mile trip. Fifty miles each way on I-40 I got 36.8 mpg going and 44.1 coming back. Light 6 mph breeze, about 85F, moderate traffic. Cruise control set at 72. DNA control set on A.

This was computer mileage, but the computer has always been pretty close to my calculated results at fill-ups.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
No one buys a Giulia for gas mileage, but I wanted to share my results for a recent 100 mile trip. Fifty miles each way on I-40 I got 36.8 mpg going and 44.1 coming back. Light 6 mph breeze, about 85F, moderate traffic. Cruise control set at 72. DNA control set on A.

This was computer mileage, but the computer has always been pretty close to my calculated results at fill-ups.
Similar computer calculated results for me on a 400 mile drive back to Raleigh from Atlanta yesterday. 40.3mpg, mostly in A mode, driving between 65-75 MPH.

UPDATE: I just refueled the car and calculated the mileage and it was closer to 37.8, still not bad!

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
842 Posts
old post... but I'll chime in on topic:

just finished a 1,755 mile round trip from Boulder, CO to Show Low, AZ and back. 98% A mode giving 34.1 mpg with the majority of 75 mph hwy cruise controlled at 82 mph, 65 mph set to 73, etc. elevation averaged 6,700 ft with 5 passes 7,800-9,060 each way. All computer data. My fill up odometer calculated a matching MPG of 34.5 versus 34.4 computed for my 2nd tank.

Wow!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have 2.7K miles on my 2019QV now. Averages are 19.4MPG and 32MPH. most of those in "N" mode. Yes, an average of 32MPH since the end of November 2019. Sad, but true. I have a couple of 10 seconds 96MPH in "D" mode, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got back from the North Carolina mountains. Day one driving up there I was averaging low 30 mpg with about 200 miles on the tank of gas..until I got to the tail of the dragon ( 11 miles and 320 or so turns, no houses, no side streets) and put it in dynamic and pushed the car hard. I went back and forth on the dragon about 44 miles and realized my milage was now at 14. I guess that equates to single digit mpg, but my smiles per mile were off the chart.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've averaged 35ish on a 3000 mile drive as well as barely 31 on another 3000 mile drive. Everything else is either a N or a D drive for me so no shot at high mileage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm. Just bought a brand new Ti Sport in Omaha, NE and drove it back to Greeley, CO. Car had 36 miles on it when I picked it up. Just under 600 miles one way, A mode and cruise controlled around 85-88 mph all the way back, straight shot down the highway. 91 Octane has (highest available along the route). Best I could muster on the computer calculation was 26 mpg.... is my car broken? Lol

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
It usually does after the initial thousand or two. But you'll soon find you almost never look at the consumption on this car. The immense joy is so overwhelming...

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
898 Posts
Personally IDGAD about gas mileage, but I have been recording it just to see. Based on fill-ups and miles between them, my average is very close to 23mpg. 2.0L Q4. I did get well over 30 mpg on a long trip in cruise A mode at 79 mph. That’s very very boring though. I rarely use A mode at all. I use N for my stop and go commute to work and D for most other trips.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
898 Posts
Hmmm. Just bought a brand new Ti Sport in Omaha, NE and drove it back to Greeley, CO. Car had 36 miles on it when I picked it up. Just under 600 miles one way, A mode and cruise controlled around 85-88 mph all the way back, straight shot down the highway. 91 Octane has (highest available along the route). Best I could muster on the computer calculation was 26 mpg.... is my car broken? Lol
BTW - Never run a new engine in using cruise control and content speed. To break it in, it’s best to drive it at varying speeds and not too high an RPM for the first 1,000 miles or so.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
20 Posts
BTW - Never run a new engine in using cruise control and content speed. To break it in, it’s best to drive it at varying speeds and not too high an RPM for the first 1,000 miles or so.
I hear ya, but varying viewpoints on this subject are a dime a dozen. Once I got it home I did more varying types of driving in different modes and it seems to perform perfectly, despite the 500 mile trip home in what was 95% cruise control ?.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
457 Posts
Few weeks ago I did a 1800 mile round trip, Biloxi Miss to Kirksville Mo with a stop in Memphis at the dealer for the W05 service. Biloxi to Memphis all in A mode cruise at 75, willpower at 110%, just under 33 mpg. The rest of the trip a mixture of everything different DNA modes, Highway/city and speed average for the trip 30.1mpg this includes a short run in southern Missouri with/passing a new Camry at 130 mph (seems the Toyota’s shutdown around 125). This is the longest trip I’ve taken and trying different things I believe that the only way to get the very best mileage in A mode is not using cruise control, in A mode without the cruise set when you are above 55-60mph and let off the gas going down a hill the transmission will go into neutral (not N on the dash but tach will go to an idle) this feature does not happen with cruise control on, also wind seems to affect mileage on these cars more than others.
2018 Ti Q4 with 30,000 miles

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.