Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Great review from Brian Makse. I have met him a few times and am good friends with Nick who does the video and photography work. He essentially nailed the review in my eyes and despite a few flaws, this is a fantastic and very rewarding car to drive. Shot in 4K.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Good vid... interesting! Is the QV pedal really that twitchy, wonder if he tried to park in race mode? ?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good vid... interesting! Is the QV pedal really that twitchy, wonder if he tried to park in race mode? ?
The braking by wire (scary when you think about it) at lower speeds takes some seat time to get used to it. One thing, if I really nit-pick, I wish would be improved a bit.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The braking by wire (scary when you think about it) at lower speeds takes some seat time to get used to it. One thing, if I really nit-pick, I wish would be improved a bit.
Great video and review!
I agree with your new brakes, but that's not gonna stop me from buying one.:smile2:
Thanks for posting!

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great video and review!
I agree with your new brakes, but that's not gonna stop me from buying one.:smile2:
Thanks for posting!
Dont let it, you get used to it :)

Reactions: BostonDMD

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,794 Posts
i havent had any problem with the brakes, a chauffeur stop is just fine, hard braking is fine, i keep expecting to hear a squeal with the slow crawl traffic bumper braking, but no

i can see how some get jolted, its a fine line between a perfect stop and a jolt but its there

my autonomous kicked in earlier on a drive, a slow turning taxi was making his turn and i went to go around him, getting pretty close without my foot on the pedal but steering to his outside, the system detected i was heading for a slower moving car at an angle where a collision would have occurred without any braking...wham, beep beep, no screeching or smoke flying, just a firm double jolt of the brakes... it was like an anchor...taxi cleared the radar area after the second jolt and car resumed with driver control ... it was sudden, it was forceful and it was confidence inspiring...i think had it been a stationary object the car would have halted as you see in the videos, the fact that it didnt was what i liked the most, it broke but didnt finish scanning there, the taxi had cleared the zone, the car kept going ... rather than a dead stop and no taxi there anymore ... need to be cautious of cars behind though ... it broke better and faster than a human, with a bit of peripheral overkill, by that i mean a car behind you wont expect that sort of braking for approaching the rear end of a turning taxi

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
i havent had any problem with the brakes, a chauffeur stop is just fine, hard braking is fine, i keep expecting to hear a squeal with the slow crawl traffic bumper braking, but no

i can see how some get jolted, its a fine line between a perfect stop and a jolt but its there

my autonomous kicked in earlier on a drive, a slow turning taxi was making his turn and i went to go around him, getting pretty close without my foot on the pedal but steering to his outside, the system detected i was heading for a slower moving car at an angle where a collision would have occurred without any braking...wham, beep beep, no screeching or smoke flying, just a firm double jolt of the brakes... it was like an anchor...taxi cleared the radar area after the second jolt and car resumed with driver control ... it was sudden, it was forceful and it was confidence inspiring...i think had it been a stationary object the car would have halted as you see in the videos, the fact that it didnt was what i liked the most, it broke but didnt finish scanning there, the taxi had cleared the zone, the car kept going ... rather than a dead stop and no taxi there anymore ... need to be cautious of cars behind though ... it broke better and faster than a human, with a bit of peripheral overkill, by that i mean a car behind you wont expect that sort of braking for approaching the rear end of a turning taxi
The radar can probably see the movement too. Doppler effect :)

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,794 Posts
The radar can probably see the movement too. Doppler effect :)
not sure what but something like that i think, ... another time it was able to detect a car stopping to turn while i was travelling behind it at a faster speed, about 15 metres behind at this stage, it didnt brake, it gave an audible warning and a message on the dash and probably went into its pre-fill mode, i then broke, and it was happy ... if the car in front at a set distance is travelling slower and your speed will cause a collision it wakes up

thing is, the taxi episode, it was able to process it all in a split second

i think there is a procedure that can start way down the road and monitors the brake pedal, as you get closer and doesnt detect driver action, it takes over...like i said, confidence inspiring and glad it wasnt a real emergency situation, but handy to know nevertheless

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK, this is cool. I haven't owned a car with collision avoidance but did drive a Ti last month. I like what you are saying and it makes dealing with the brake by wire all the more easier. I would learn it regardless and it wasn't that noticeable to me on the test drive, but this real world example is great to hear.

Reactions: Papa Gallo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts