Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't intend to start a flame war here, but as a new, proud owner of a beautiful Giulia and a fairly active (albeit new) participant on the forum I want to just state my views on a couple of things.

1) I am 60 years old and this is the greatest car I've ever owned. By far.
2) It will remain the greatest car I've ever owned even if I don't see a "windshield washer fluid low" light on my dash or a "its 37 degrees so be careful driving" warning.
3) It will remain the greatest car I've ever owned even if I have to have some warranty repairs (and get a Giulia loaner to drive)

I've noticed that a very small handful of disgruntled owners are responsible for a huge number of the 'unhappy' posts here. That's their right and I respect that but let's not let them detract from our enjoyment of this truly incredible automobile.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Let's also not forget that this forum can have a sample bias as people who have issues with their cars are more likely to go online and search for solutions and consolation. The fact that there are only a few disgruntled posters is actually a good thing!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree. I don't have my Giulia yet, but based on my initial test drive, the car is clearly special. It is usually the case that when people have a complaint (major or minor), they will sound off, while those that are happy remain silent. This is a good and proper forum to air such complaints and also to seek solutions to them. I believe that many of the issues are down to 1st year build problems and software updates, as well as some dealers not having a clue.

We don't live in a perfect world but I think back on my GTV-6 and it certainly had some issues (weak 2nd gear synchro, a tendency to blow head gaskets and in the end, rusting Russian steel), but the car delivered what the badge was all about - A glorious engine, superb handling and an innate passion that was never equaled in any other car that I've owned. Certainly there are cars that may be more "reliable" but often they are little more than appliances that don't add anything to the driving experience.

We are certainly in the twilight of the internal combustion engine and our individual freedom of the road, but I would have to say that the pure joy we derive from driving is largely down to those cars that originate in Italy, be they humble FIAT, lofty Ferraris or Lambos or our beloved Alfas

·
Registered
461 Posts
A2alfaguy,

Ah, am driving a 2016 500X now (previously had a 500c that was a hoot). Did an all to brief test drive with my wife and hope to do a 24 hour test as my dealer offers these soon of a Q4 Lusso...Have configured it many times (Rosso/Tan, LSD, paddles, nav) and will probably special order as don't want the sunroof...Waiting until all the 2017's are gone so can work a good deal on a Y18....

·
Registered
876 Posts
couldnt be happier with a car, even if it has some some issues with cosmetics (alfa is fixing it no problem) as long as they take care of us im more than happy to recommend the car to anyone!

Reactions: a2alfaguy

·
Registered
40 Posts
The car is great! I think most people would agree on that. I agree that there is some exaggerated concern over warning lights that are mostly unnecessary.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it so much, I hope I can do that same soon.

The biggest problem is the dealerships, heck that's why I don't have a car ordered yet is it has just been a fairly painful process getting all the information I need.

I was not allowed to do an overnight test drive unless I was going to buy that specific car on my dealer's lot. It is also the only car they've had this year. So I KNOW I won't be getting a Giulia loaner ever. If I'm lucky I'll get a Stelvio, or perhaps a Volvo as they are at the same dealership. I worry more that they won't give me any loaner and if my car was in the shop for a month on a warranty repair I'd be SOL, which scares me.

Side Rant... My 335 got hit last year and the person that hit me's insurance only covered the cheapest available rental which was a base Elantra... So terrible and considering I was still paying on my lease for the whole month I driving that POS made me angry. I wish they would at least have given me a Mazda3.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Tyresian Too far for you to go to some of the Chicagoland dealers? (not sure where in Wisconsin you are).

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it were perfect, it wouldn't be an Alfa Romeo.

Absolutely love the car.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
630 Posts
Side Rant... My 335 got hit last year and the person that hit me's insurance only covered the cheapest available rental which was a base Elantra... So terrible and considering I was still paying on my lease for the whole month I driving that POS made me angry. I wish they would at least have given me a Mazda3.
This is why you deal with your insurance company and let them subrogate the other insurance company to recover the loss. Your insurance company represents your interests and works for you, so make them work for you. They're going to find out about the crash anyways, so forget any notion about trying to protect your premiums from increasing.

My insurance policy offers up to $900 in rental car coverage for any claim in which the vehicle is repairable. However, if they make a determination that the vehicle is a total loss, the rental car must be returned within 3 days of the insurance company notifying you of their decision to declare the vehicle a total loss.

It's real easy to burn up $900 in rental car coverage at $25 a day for a sub-compact POS. That's just 36 days (or less if you decide to drive around in something that isn't a total penalty box). Given the abysmal track record reported numerous times on this forum for extremely lengthy delays getting collision repair parts and actually performing repairs correctly the first time, you should count on any fender bender taking 8 weeks to repair or more, which means you'll most likely be paying out of pocket for your dealer's and FCA's indolence.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is why you deal with your insurance company and let them subrogate the other insurance company to recover the loss. Your insurance company represents your interests and works for you, so make them work for you. They're going to find out about the crash anyways, so forget any notion about trying to protect your premiums from increasing.

My insurance policy offers up to $900 in rental car coverage for any claim in which the vehicle is repairable. However, if they make a determination that the vehicle is a total loss, the rental car must be returned within 3 days of the insurance company notifying you of their decision to declare the vehicle a total loss.

It's real easy to burn up $900 in rental car coverage at $25 a day for a sub-compact POS. That's just 36 days (or less if you decide to drive around in something that isn't a total penalty box). Given the abysmal track record reported numerous times on this forum for extremely lengthy delays getting collision repair parts and actually performing repairs correctly the first time, you should count on any fender bender taking 8 weeks to repair or more, which means you'll most likely be paying out of pocket for your dealer's and FCA's indolence.
I spoke to my insurance agent and he was more than willing to do the work for me but then I'd have to pay my deductible and have a claim on my file. He suggested I work directly with the other insurance unless they were unwilling to help me. This is part of the problem with the insurance structure. In this situation the other driver had 100% fault.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I spoke to my insurance agent and he was more than willing to do the work for me but then I'd have to pay my deductible and have a claim on my file. He suggested I work directly with the other insurance unless they were unwilling to help me. This is part of the problem with the insurance structure. In this situation the other driver had 100% fault.
So another car hit you, and your stuck in what you describe as a "POS loaner" while still making lease payments on your car. Your agent should pay for a proper loaner/rental, while going after the other guy's insurance. Their obligation is to make you "whole" for the actions of their client.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You have choices when dealing with insurance. Yes, if you wanted your insurance company to work for you, then you would have to pay your deductible up front in order to be covered under your policy's terms and conditions vis-à-vis rental car coverage. But your deductible would have been reimbursed once your insurance company subrogated the at-fault driver's insurance company. So if you're willing to temporarily give up the use of $500 for a couple of weeks in order to not drive a Hyundai Elantra, then it might be worth it to you. Also, had you been injured, missed work, etc. then it's probably best to have your own insurance company in your corner defending your interests. I've done it both ways and it's more hassle working with the at-fault driver's insurance company on your own. They know they can be jerks about it, stingy with money, drag their feet, etc. When you stay out of it and let the insurance companies duke it out, things tend to go more smoothly.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The car is great! I think most people would agree on that. I agree that there is some exaggerated concern over warning lights that are mostly unnecessary.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it so much, I hope I can do that same soon.

The biggest problem is the dealerships, heck that's why I don't have a car ordered yet is it has just been a fairly painful process getting all the information I need.

I was not allowed to do an overnight test drive unless I was going to buy that specific car on my dealer's lot. It is also the only car they've had this year. So I KNOW I won't be getting a Giulia loaner ever. If I'm lucky I'll get a Stelvio, or perhaps a Volvo as they are at the same dealership. I worry more that they won't give me any loaner and if my car was in the shop for a month on a warranty repair I'd be SOL, which scares me.

This is the biggest issue--the dealership network and Alfa "Cares." They don't. Unless you have an amazing dealer, good luck with any warranty work. Alfa "Cares" won't follow-up, return calls on time, etc.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Alfa Cares is a waste of time. They contact you, find out what is wrong, sympathize with you and then they're gone. I'd rather them leave me alone. Twice they contacted me and nothing was expedited or done.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Regarding insurance, Michigan is a no-fault state, which basically means there is no suing, and any driver's insurance needs to cover any accident damages to their car regardless of who is at fault. It's nice in that it removes any anxiety over how to recoup loses and expenses; you only deal with your own insurance. It also removes the need for a ticket to be issued, which really, is little more than adding insult to injury in many cases.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Back to the original topic - people want to talk about their new cars and when they can't find anything significant to say they talk about things like warning lights. It reminds me of a supervisor I once had who would go to any level of detail in a review until he found something to criticize.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You have choices when dealing with insurance. Yes, if you wanted your insurance company to work for you, then you would have to pay your deductible up front in order to be covered under your policy's terms and conditions vis-à-vis rental car coverage. But your deductible would have been reimbursed once your insurance company subrogated the at-fault driver's insurance company. So if you're willing to temporarily give up the use of $500 for a couple of weeks in order to not drive a Hyundai Elantra, then it might be worth it to you. Also, had you been injured, missed work, etc. then it's probably best to have your own insurance company in your corner defending your interests. I've done it both ways and it's more hassle working with the at-fault driver's insurance company on your own. They know they can be jerks about it, stingy with money, drag their feet, etc. When you stay out of it and let the insurance companies duke it out, things tend to go more smoothly.
I am experiencing a situation right now where my wife's car was hit. 100% other driver's fault and they admitted responsibility (to the police as well). I went through their insurance because my insurance company told me that even if they were reimbursed by the other company, a collision would be on the record. If I went through the other driver's it won't.

State Farm was the driver's company. I started a claim, took it in to an authorized repair shop. They got my wife a rental (Dodge Charger) and so far they have been fantastic. So I believe your points are valid, but depending on the insurance company it can be completely different.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Regarding insurance, Michigan is a no-fault state, which basically means there is no suing, and any driver's insurance needs to cover any accident damages to their car regardless of who is at fault. It's nice in that it removes any anxiety over how to recoup loses and expenses; you only deal with your own insurance. It also removes the need for a ticket to be issued, which really, is little more than adding insult to injury in many cases.
No fault usually only refers to personal injury, not property.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
No fault usually only refers to personal injury, not property.
That's nice. I guess.

In Michigan, you could turn to the mini tort law and seek to recover up to $1k for vehicle damage costs, but the law also allows for "percentage of blame" reductions, and if you're found to be more than 50% to blame, then you're disqualified from any mini-tort coverage. You could hire an lawyer and go through the process, but from what I gather in 30-some years of driving in Michigan, very few bother.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts