Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I got my first Alfa yesterday! I've been wanting one since I was a teenager in Rome and learned to drive in a rusted Fiat 127. My grandmother drove the original Giulia when I was just a little kid and we used to get stopped by the police all the time because it was the same car many criminals drove. Anyhow, more recently, I've gone through a decade long BMW phase: 2006 X5, 2008 535i, 2011 135i, 2016 F80 M3. The M3 was OK but I could never really drive it properly around Boston in my short commutes as that thing was beast. I downgraded to a '14 Mini Countryman which I though would be sensible and save me a bunch of money, but I really didn't like it. Horribly bumpy ride, cheap interior, uncomfortable seats and noisy.

So fast forward to this past weekend, I took the family to the Boston Auto show and spent most of the time looking at the Alfa they had that you could not get into (grr). My wife looks at me and tells me I should buy one. Next day I was at the dealer. I found a 2017 on the lot in the exact color I wanted Vesuvio + Tan interior. It was a base model, but had some nice options (sunroof, nav, heated seats, turbine wheels) and they gave me a killer deal on it since it was a remaining '17.

I am *loving* it so far. Truly a great blend a comfort and sporty ride. Reminds me of what BMWs used to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Nice photo. That is SUCH a beautiful color! I bought mine as a 'lot deal' as well so I got the best deal they had which was a Monte Carlo Blue, but if they would have had the Vesuvio Gray I would have taken that instead. Mine is my daily driver and I couldn't be happier with it. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you! I really love the Vesuvio, but Monte Carlo Blue was my runner up. Can't go wrong really. Mostly I really wanted a tan interior. i've had black interiors for 10+ years and was getting a little tired of them and red interior was a bit much for me.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
congrats and welcome! lovely car and thanks for the pics!

Bit of a warning you're in the Giuliaforums "come to a track day!" in NY catchment area ;)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Very nice! Auguri!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
congrats and welcome! lovely car and thanks for the pics!

Bit of a warning you're in the Giuliaforums "come to a track day!" in NY catchment area ;)
Funny, I just saw the video I think you posted at Palmer and thought it looked like tons of fun

Welcome, which dealer did you end up buying from?
Herb Chambers Alfa of Boston. Pretty crazy that it is a Bentley/RR/Lambo/Maserati dealer. I was negotiating my low lease payment right next to a 350K Bentley and on pickup day I was there when Herb's personal Enzo was brought in and put for sale for $2.5M!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Funny, I just saw the video I think you posted at Palmer and thought it looked like tons of fun

Herb Chambers Alfa of Boston. Pretty crazy that it is a Bentley/RR/Lambo/Maserati dealer. I was negotiating my low lease payment right next to a 350K Bentley and on pickup day I was there when Herb's personal Enzo was brought in and put for sale for $2.5M!!
That's where I drove my first one. What are your lease numbers if that's ok to ask? ... There is a private event for the Urus unveiling there on Thursday where I'll be attending :smile2:

If you plan on doing the front plate like me in NH, buy the Alfa9 mount over the Centerline option. Just to save you reading through our many posts here on front plates, lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well, I had a trade in with negative equity to deal with, so my numbers don't make much sense to compare to. But, I got ~$7-8K off MSRP.

on the front plate issue, I did read all the hreads already. I think I'm going to go with the bottom driver side vent option by trimming the plate a bit. But I might go plateless for a while to see what happens.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
more NE Alfa people, good to see

private Urus unveiling? I've been joking they would be here before the stelvio quad, let us know when deliveries are expected.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Congrats on the car and a nice color choice as well. I originally wanted the tan interior but when I went to the dealer and saw the Vesuvio/Red interior combo I loved it. Though I purchased on Long Island I've been using Herb Chambers Alfa of Boston for my servicing and they've been very good, not to mention its not bad getting a Maserati loaner :grin2:

on the front plate issue, I did read all the hreads already. I think I'm going to go with the bottom driver side vent option by trimming the plate a bit. But I might go plateless for a while to see what happens.
I went for the side vent option though I didn't trim since I thought I was going to register in MA but since I'll be keeping the NY plates for at least another year I'm going to trim it for a better fit. Definitely think it looks better than the tow hook mount. I haven't been bold enough to run plateless around here so if you give that a go let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
But I might go plateless for a while to see what happens.
I have done that in MA for the past 20+ years and never had an issue..... so don't esthetically ruin the Giulia if you don't absolutely have to.........

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have done that in MA for the past 20+ years and never had an issue..... so don't esthetically ruin the Giulia if you don't absolutely have to.........
I tried this in NH, and on day #2 (not even kidding) was pulled over, first time in my life. Lucky you!! Oh well, I still prefer living in NH :D

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
more NE Alfa people, good to see

private Urus unveiling? I've been joking they would be here before the stelvio quad, let us know when deliveries are expected.
My former boss is getting a Urus, I have no idea when deliveries occur, but will try and see if I can find out

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Herb Chambers would not inspect me with no plate. So I went to my gas station guy. He told me in the past no one really cared, but that they *just* rolled out cameras to take pictures of the license plates as mandatory to pass inspection. He was so thrilled to see an Alfa that he agreed to ziptie my plate to the grill to pass inspection this time, but said he does not want to do it again. So I'm going to see how long I can go without a ticket. If I make it a year, I'll order the tow hook mount and pass inspection with that and then take it off again.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Herb Chambers would not inspect me with no plate. So I went to my gas station guy. He told me in the past no one really cared, but that they *just* rolled out cameras to take pictures of the license plates as mandatory to pass inspection. He was so thrilled to see an Alfa that he agreed to ziptie my plate to the grill to pass inspection this time, but said he does not want to do it again. So I'm going to see how long I can go without a ticket. If I make it a year, I'll order the tow hook mount and pass inspection with that and then take it off again.
That’s exactly what I’ve done with my QV to pass inspection this year.....

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
2020 Anodized Blue Giulia TI, RWD
20 Posts
Congratulations! Got my first a couple weeks back and I know how you're feeling right now. Love that color!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts