Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my water softener installed and I will never be without one again. Because my water service also handles my sprinklers, I could not easily do ALL the water.

I put one inside servicing only the hot water line before it goes to my tankless water heater. I have a hot spigot coming right off the softener to my garage so I have hot, soft water for my cars and motorcycles as well as the hot lines throughout my home.

In addition to the help detailing cars and bikes, it will extend the life of my other appliances and keep the pipes and faucets clearer, and I use 50% of the soap I used to use.

If you are on septic like I am, you can run potassium instead of salt. I would use potassium anyway. It costs beans to operate.

The best part is not worrying as much about getting my Porsche cabriolet top wet and a reduction of spots. Bought mine at www.discountwatersofteners.com Culligan and others were 2 times the price. Or more.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've had a US Water Systems softener for a couple of years. Also on Septic. Concur with the OP....a sound investment.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
They make water filter kits for things like washing your car etc. the really nice thing about rinsing your car off with the really good ones is you get little to no water spots.

·
Registered
691 Posts
They make water filter kits for things like washing your car etc. the really nice thing about rinsing your car off with the really good ones is you get little to no water spots.
I tried the Mr. Clean car wash filter in the past and wasn't impressed. Albeit that was 12 years ago, so I'm sure they've been improved.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
If you are on septic like I am, you can run potassium instead of salt. I would use potassium anyway. It costs beans to operate.
Potassium is still a salt, just not sodium. And where we lived when our whole house was on well water (irrigation only now), a bag of the stuff costs about 4x more. Still worth it

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I used to live in a more rural area with well water with absurd amounts of iron in the water. My neighbor had was a Nordic platinum blonde who’s hair turned orange at one point. Water softener was a must.

I’m now a little north of NYC and have the same water supply with about 25ppm tds, which for public supply is very very low.
I only know because I used to keep large marine reef tanks with live corals and water quality for those things is ridiculous...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I used to live in a more rural area with well water with absurd amounts of iron in the water. My neighbor had was a Nordic platinum blonde who’s hair turned orange at one point. Water softener was a must.

I’m now a little north of NYC and have the same water supply with about 25ppm tds, which for public supply is very very low.
I only know because I used to keep large marine reef tanks with live corals and water quality for those things is ridiculous...

I wonder if our prez uses too much well water that absorbs to much iron

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
maybe a dumb question but I brew on a well and run Carbon filters for my water. Had it tested by Ward labs and results after running a simple carbon filter was literally zero for everything. Can post details if we wanna go nerd but would a simple carbon filter which did that be advantagous too? Not an expert unless you ask me about beer :D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
maybe a dumb question but I brew on a well and run Carbon filters for my water. Had it tested by Ward labs and results after running a simple carbon filter was literally zero for everything. Can post details if we wanna go nerd but would a simple carbon filter which did that be advantagous too? Not an expert unless you ask me about beer :D
Carbon filters are very good for removing chlorine and VOC’s but not very good at removing minerals, salts (both primary causes of water spots) or dissolved inorganics. It really depends on what’s in your water to begin with though. Water softeners really work on calcium and magnesium for the most part so carbon compliments that and why you see it in use in conjunction a lot. Usually on a water softener you’ll see some kind of prefilter to grab large large particles out of the water first, either a physical media type filter, same concept as your air filter on your engine, or even carbon sometimes as a pre-filter because of its huge surface area that traps lots of stuff. Again every water supply is different so the solution is highly dependent on what’s in the water to start...

For the record I’m no expert, just had a water softener years ago and used carbon/resin filtration for years to purify water for my reef tanks.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
My Silicon valley water softener died (leaking) and has not been replaced. They involve pumping a lot of chemicals into the waste water, and I am not so happy about that. Besides the salt they are supposed to be sanitized with large doses of chlorine periodically and if you are on a well that is pretty important to do.

You can also get an ion exchange unit (the formal name for a water softener) for Iron and for Uranium.

Things commonly found in well water that will cause staining include Calcium (white stains), Magnesium (white stains), Iron (red stains), and Manganese (black stains). In some areas high CO2 levels in ground water will attack copper pipes and cause blue stains. If you have enough Uranium in your water to stain anything (it does happen on rare occasions), open a mine and do not drink the water.

Manganese gives a nasty metallic taste to water and is hard to control. If you have this in your well water you should probably seek professional help.

Both Iron and Manganese can be precipitated by oxidation and then removed by settling and/or filtration. This is the technique often used by public water supplies to reduce the levels. Large holding tanks are needed to make oxidation work without the use of chemicals.

High TDS does not necessarily indicate hard water. In my mountain wells I have very high TDS but relatively low hardness. This is because the water contains high levels of sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate rather than calcium or magnesium carbonate. Although sodium and potassium carbonate leave white deposits, those deposits do not accumulate and wash off easily.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
As JerryNY correctly stated, carbon filters will remove only certain materials. It will absorb some VOCs, sulfur, lead, arsenic and uranium, but has pretty much no affect on calcium, magnesium, sodium, or potassium. You can get a manual regeneration small water softener that would be suitable for washing a car from an RV supply store.

Personally I prewash with hard water to knock the bugs and dirt off, then wash with Reverse Osmosis water that has rinseless car wash soap added to it. The RO water has greatly reduced contaminants and is used to displace all of the hard water before it has a chance to dry on the car. Wash when it is not too hot and work fast.

The carbon filter in my reverse osmosis unit gets clogged with uranium (orange deposits) and radon (too slight to have a color, but decays into highly radioactive metals) after a while. This is reported to get bad enough to require hazmat removal; I'm not really sure if I should get it tested. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
got it thanks! Wishful thinking but like every other hobby you can rarely merge the two and I was at 10ppm and 21ppm for sodium and calcium respectively, I was hoping that was low enough ;)

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
got it thanks! Wishful thinking but like every other hobby you can rarely merge the two and I was at 10ppm and 21ppm for sodium and calcium respectively, I was hoping that was low enough ;)
21PPM calcium qualifies as "slightly hard". The Magnesium content is also needed to have a meaningful measure of total hardness.

https://www.water-research.net/index.php/water-treatment/tools/hard-water-hardness

For brewing taste is paramount and hardness has only a small effect on taste.

IMO unless you have "Hetch Hetchy" water (snow melt surface water) or equivalent using reverse osmosis to get your water "clean" enough for washing the car is a good idea/investment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts