Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ti Q4 Alfa Rosso
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not the 4C, unfortunately...I was parking my car earlier only to realize that a decently big spider had found it's way into the car. Instead of crawling out, it retreated into the window, eventually coming to the gap between the upper door card and the B pillar and seemingly crawling inside the door itself.

Do I just leave it alone and hope it crawls back out?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,088 Posts
IMO this depends on what kind of spider is involved. I would be very concerned about a black widow (which can be pretty large) or brown recluse. I would not be so concerned about non/less venomous species. I doubt that a spider can/would do damage to the car.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I doubt t a Spyder would hurt your Alfa. But a decade or so ago, I was way up in the mountains of Guatemala with the Army on a medical mission, and a man was brought in with a bleeding, oozing, shriveled up and useless left arm, about up to his shoulder. His companion told me that he had been bitten by some sort of Spider and the resulting vasculitis and tissue damage was severe. I told him that if he did not go down the mountain to a hospital and have his arm amputated, it would extend into his shoulder, and be soon fatal. Somewhere I have a 35 mm slide of the awful damage to his arm.

Just saying..... NV

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,267 Posts
IMO this depends on what kind of spider is involved. I would be very concerned about a black widow (which can be pretty large) or brown recluse. I would not be so concerned about non/less venomous species. I doubt that a spider can/would do damage to the car.
Thousands of baby spiders from an egg case would be frightening/annoying but not damaging.

• Wow
Reactions: ShamAsil

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
OTOH, with a spider doing patrols you might avoid having any bugs buzzing around in your car.

·
Registered
2021 Ti Q4 Alfa Rosso
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on this - I left in out in the sun, tapped on the door, and more, but haven't seen it ever since that night. It wasn't a recluse or a black widow, thankfully, and it's good to know that it can't probably do anything to the car itself. Thanks guys!

Hopefully riding along has encouraged it to buy it's own Alfa.

·
Registered
2021 Ti Q4 Alfa Rosso
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I doubt t a Spyder would hurt your Alfa. But a decade or so ago, I was way up in the mountains of Guatemala with the Army on a medical mission, and a man was brought in with a bleeding, oozing, shriveled up and useless left arm, about up to his shoulder. His companion told me that he had been bitten by some sort of Spider and the resulting vasculitis and tissue damage was severe. I told him that if he did not go down the mountain to a hospital and have his arm amputated, it would extend into his shoulder, and be soon fatal. Somewhere I have a 35 mm slide of the awful damage to his arm.

Just saying..... NV
Sometimes, I think, humanity was never meant to live in certain regions. Hope he was able to recover despite the amputation...

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

Just saying..... NV
I think a bad black widow or brown recluse bite, left untreated can get that bad. The insidious thing about either is that the spider's tiny fangs are so small that victims often do not feel the bite. Mono county officials advise the following in order from most to least severe venomous bites:

Black widow: seek medical care immediately, always. Be advised that bites may go unnoticed until symptoms appear.
Rattle snake: seek medical care immediately, always. You are unlikely to be unaware that you have been bitten.
Scorpion (local variety): seek medical care if symptoms become problematic. It will sting like you have been shot, causing most people to seek care regardless.
Stinging ants, bees, wasps: rarely causes more than some swelling and pain but seek medical care if an allergic reaction is apparent.

No recluse spiders found here.
and of course beware of Hanta virus (no cure, over 50% fatality rate amongst people seeking care) and/or plague (antibiotics are effective if administered before organ damage has set in) carrying rodents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts