Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Tire Discounters tomorrow near my home in Cincinnati. I work in new construction and it seems like the Giulia wanted to take a deck screw home with me. Seems to be in a good spot for a repair, but I'm reading a lot of places turn down RFT patching? Curious to hear other experiences if I'm turned away, and if it's worth hitting multiple tire shops.

Stock Bridgestone Turanzas.

Made it 2,500 miles before needing any repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
You’ll be fine. I’ve already had two OEM RFTs plugged. Best part is: both times were free. Worst part is: I have only 2k miles on the car! I should have spec’d the upgraded non-magnetic tires when I ordered the car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Heading to Tire Discounters tomorrow near my home in Cincinnati. I work in new construction and it seems like the Giulia wanted to take a deck screw home with me. Seems to be in a good spot for a repair, but I'm reading a lot of places turn down RFT patching? Curious to hear other experiences if I'm turned away, and if it's worth hitting multiple tire shops.

Stock Bridgestone Turanzas.

Made it 2,500 miles before needing any repair.
You should be able get an RFT plugged. I got it done before and held up pretty well. I would say hit a few places if the first one pushes a new tire sale on you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Perhaps for liability reasons, some tire manufacturers state that their Run Flats are not to able to be repaired after a puncture. My local Discount Tire would not repair a puncture possibly for this reason. On another car, the puncture was too close to the sideway to be repaired on a non-run flat Michelin. It is best to repair any tire puncture from the inside with a patch, rather than just a quick plug, which others have used safely. All you can do is ask.

A few years ago, put new tires on a Jag, drove about 6 miles, hit some debris, and blew one of them. I had not paid for the warranty, but Discount Tire was nice enough to replace it for free. I did not know they have a 30 day warranty on their tires. A year ago, ran over some wire, and sliced a Michelin AS3 tire on my QV, and had bought the warranty so Discount Tire sourced a replacement and had it shipped in, and on my Alfa for no cost to me.

Sometimes I can drive your years without a puncture, and other times they seem to come in pairs.

NV

·
Registered
794 Posts
don't you like have this kind of stuff in shops?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Perhaps for liability reasons, some tire manufacturers state that their Run Flats are not to able to be repaired after a puncture. My local Discount Tire would not repair a puncture possibly for this reason. On another car, the puncture was too close to the sideway to be repaired on a non-run flat Michelin. It is best to repair any tire puncture from the inside with a patch, rather than just a quick plug, which others have used safely. All you can do is ask.

A few years ago, put new tires on a Jag, drove about 6 miles, hit some debris, and blew one of them. I had not paid for the warranty, but Discount Tire was nice enough to replace it for free. I did not know they have a 30 day warranty on their tires. A year ago, ran over some wire, and sliced a Michelin AS3 tire on my QV, and had bought the warranty so Discount Tire sourced a replacement and had it shipped in, and on my Alfa for no cost to me.

Sometimes I can drive your years without a puncture, and other times they seem to come in pairs.

NV
Discount Tire, aka America's Tire, will sell road hazzard warranty for tires NOT purchased from them, including first rotation new car tires. Buying them are well worth it in my opinion, even though I don't use it most of the time.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mom and pop shops will typically do it, chain stores oftentimes will not due to manufacture policies. I believe Continental is the only one that officially allows certain RFTs (in certain circumstances) to be repaired.

I would suggest you find a place that patches a tire and not just plug.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, all. TDiscounters knocked it out with a patch in an hour worth of waiting. $19.99.

·
Registered
231 Posts
In my town, Discount Tire wouldn't plug one of my RFTs but recommended the local Firestone store as the only place that they knew would do the repair. Firestone folks did the job.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
528 Posts
Not the smartest thing to do.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
719 Posts
Tire plugs are fine. I've used them countless times over the years. I have one in my RFT as well and just did an autocross event on it Saturday.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
698 Posts
No issue on a couple rft repairs in the past. Note that they patch not plug now. Most tire places only patch now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some RFT can be patched from the inside and some RFT you can not patch/repair check with manufacture on the specific tire. You should never use a plug on any tire, YES I know people do it all the time, but after my years Michelin training and got scared out of my mind for liability. I have not plugged a tire in 10 years. We only offer a patch and or new tire.

·
Registered
850 Posts
for the life of me, I don't know how a bolt like that could be lying vertically on the road to impact and puncture straight up. Could it be some sort of vandalism? NV

1 - 19 of 19 Posts