Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I had to sell my 2018 quadrifoglio. It was the best car I have ever owned but it didn't make any sense to keep it as a daily driver. Alfa has been very unlucky in the last few years. First, their ultimate champion and visionary, Sergio Marchione dies, then the VW diesel scandal hits their european sales, then COVID hits their world wide sales. They were going to spend 5 Billion and introduce 7 models to revive the brand. They spent 1.5, introduced 2 models and are now ditching the Giorgio platform and rebooting the brand as all electric. The upshot for me is that all the Maryland dealers save one have gone out of business. That means the entire baltimore washington area has only one dealer, which is 70 min from my house without traffic. They have two trained alfa techs and no loaners. My car has been totally reliable until 32,000 miles when it started to misfire. Took it in for service and it needed spark plugs. No big deal. since it was misfiring, there was some fuel in the oil and they recommended an oil change. ok. However, the spark plug change cost $1200 dollars and the oil change $800!!! Not only that but they discovered a radiator seep (fixed under warranty), leaking engine mounts (fixed under warranty), a failing and squeaking window lifter and motor (also fixed under warranty). I can't imaging what they would have charged me for the work if it wasn't under warranty, but it became very clear to me that it would be just stupid to own the car without one. Problem is Alfa doesn't have any certified warranty shops outside of the dealers, therefore, if I have a problem i have to spend another 6 hours in the car driving to and from the shop and borrow someones car for 2 weeks to fix it.

I love Alfa. I love the style, the looks. the performance, the sound, the history, the whole bit. I own 4 60s Alfas, but as a practical everyday car this situation is just not going to cut it. I really hope they get their shit together so I can buy another one, but for now I am out.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Unfortunately, I had to sell my 2018 quadrifoglio. It was the best car I have ever owned but it didn't make any sense to keep it as a daily driver. Alfa has been very unlucky in the last few years. First, their ultimate champion and visionary, Sergio Marchione dies, then the VW diesel scandal hits their european sales, then COVID hits their world wide sales. They were going to spend 5 Billion and introduce 7 models to revive the brand. They spent 1.5, introduced 2 models and are now ditching the Giorgio platform and rebooting the brand as all electric. The upshot for me is that all the Maryland dealers save one have gone out of business. That means the entire baltimore washington area has only one dealer, which is 70 min from my house without traffic. They have two trained alfa techs and no loaners. My car has been totally reliable until 32,000 miles when it started to misfire. Took it in for service and it needed spark plugs. No big deal. since it was misfiring, there was some fuel in the oil and they recommended an oil change. ok. However, the spark plug change cost $1200 dollars and the oil change $800!!! Not only that but they discovered a radiator seep (fixed under warranty), leaking engine mounts (fixed under warranty), a failing and squeaking window lifter and motor (also fixed under warranty). I can't imaging what they would have charged me for the work if it wasn't under warranty, but it became very clear to me that it would be just stupid to own the car without one. Problem is Alfa doesn't have any certified warranty shops outside of the dealers, therefore, if I have a problem i have to spend another 6 hours in the car driving to and from the shop and borrow someones car for 2 weeks to fix it.

I love Alfa. I love the style, the looks. the performance, the sound, the history, the whole bit. I own 4 60s Alfas, but as a practical everyday car this situation is just not going to cut it. I really hope they get their shit together so I can buy another one, but for now I am out.
Well what do I have to say to that? See ya? That aside, there's always the extended warranty in which myself and countless other forum members have purchased. I have a 2 hour drive to my nearest dealer and they're not that great. I have been performing all of my own maintenance on the QV to avoid the extortionist prices at the dealership. I can change my own oil for $70 and changing plugs only cost $220. Until then look forward to your return to the fold.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
93 Posts
Giorgio platform isn't being ditched, it is being upgraded and used for Maseratis (Grecale, new Granturismo), and will eventually be renamed to STLA; underpinning future Maseratis and hopefully bigger Alfas (next Gen Giulia/Stlevio).

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Sorry to hear. Good luck.

I am positive that your next car, a BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz or Porsche will have zero issues and the maintenances after the original warranty expires will continue to be free. They have about a dozen of dealerships in every town and they are always empty because the cars have zero issues (and because of that, their Ferrari loaners are always available). Ahh, and none of them will require any change on belts, ever (and if they do, is free). And then, I woke up.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you had 32,000 trouble free miles , got a bunch of things fixed for free ... and you decided to get rid of the car? makes no sense to me....
exactly 32000 trouble free miles, then a 2200 dollar "routine" maintenance bill and probably another 3000 billed to alfa under warranty. add to that two weeks with no car and no loaner. I get that this in an enthusiast site. I am an enthusiast myself. I currently own a '60 sprint zagato, a 66 stepnose, a 65 giulia spider veloce, and a 69 boat tail spider. My first new car was an 87 milano. I'm not trying to bash alfa. I'm just saying that when you look at the current situation, it doesn't make any sense for most people (even hardcore motor heads) to drive on as a daily driver. If Alfa at least had some authorized service centers in major metro areas where they no longer had dealerships, i would have gotten the extended warranty and kept the car or gotten a new one. But for someone who needs reliable transportation without the occasional 2 week absence and the 3 hour round trip to the dealership, owning the Alfa was just asking too much.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I don’t blame you. The way Alfa is trending and lack of service centers it’s not an a easy car to live with. I would sell mine in a heartbeat if it was actually sellable. I’m the type that likes new vehicles every 3 years anyway. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
exactly 32000 trouble free miles, then a 2200 dollar "routine" maintenance bill and probably another 3000 billed to alfa under warranty. add to that two weeks with no car and no loaner. I get that this in an enthusiast site. I am an enthusiast myself. I currently own a '60 sprint zagato, a 66 stepnose, a 65 giulia spider veloce, and a 69 boat tail spider. My first new car was an 87 milano. I'm not trying to bash alfa. I'm just saying that when you look at the current situation, it doesn't make any sense for most people (even hardcore motor heads) to drive on as a daily driver. If Alfa at least had some authorized service centers in major metro areas where they no longer had dealerships, i would have gotten the extended warranty and kept the car or gotten a new one. But for someone who needs reliable transportation without the occasional 2 week absence and the 3 hour round trip to the dealership, owning the Alfa was just asking too much.
Fair enough. But I will add that the $2200 maintenance bill seems high to me. The $1200.00 for spark plugs I can almost understand, but $800.00 for an oil change should be a felony

·
Registered
159 Posts
View attachment 120974
Rule #1. No being critical of your Alfa Romeo on the Guilia forums.

Lets get him.
feeling this comment so much... get the pitchforks someone is being critical of the pain in the ass and often unfeasible traveling someone needs to do due to a failing dealer network on a car that demands dealer maintenance... honestly paid 300 for an oil change the other day and immediately went home to investigate trading this car. Alfa wants to attract more young professionals/youth to the brand they should consider how their preowned sub 30k cars cost 3x more for simple maintenance... but whooops god forbid I criticize the milano gods

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sounds like you just had some bad luck with your particular Alfa. Most people I would say don't have all those issues, except some minor ones. I learned that if you do some of the maintenance yourself you end up saving a lot and at the same time learn more about the car itself. Paying $800 for an oil chance....that is insane, and if that was my only option, I would really try to learn to do it yourself which is a fraction of that cost!
At the same time, I do understand that if you do drive it daily, and it is your only car that gets you around, you want something very reliable which makes sense. For me I don't rely on it for daily driving so if I were to encounter some hiccups along the way its not a huge deal. Owning an Alfa is such a great feeling and being apart of a great community.
Hopefully one day you'll give it another chance and land yourself a more reliable Alfa!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do really hope PSA will invest in a dealer network to make Alfa viable for me again. I don't think it was an unreliable car at all. In fact I had no problems for 3.5 years. If I kept the car, I would never take it to the dealer for an oil change again. I can get one of the local shops to do it for much much less. The BIG problem is that if it ever needs warranty work, which it is almost guaranteed to need, just like any other modern, complicated, high performance car would need, then my only option is to drive 3 hrs round trip and leave the car there for an unknown amount of time. Sadly, I just can't do that.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
On my 2.0 it seems an oil change cost is completely unpredictable. Some times it's as "low" as $140. One time they charged $250 and swore left and right it was correct.

It's the last dealer in my area and their dealership actually just traded places with Hyundai from the same dealer network and put Alfa into a crap hole with a strip club next door. If it goes tits up I'll sell the car immediately despite how much I do like it.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
On my 2.0 it seems an oil change cost is completely unpredictable. Some times it's as "low" as $140. One time they charged $250 and swore left and right it was correct.

It's the last dealer in my area and their dealership actually just traded places with Hyundai from the same dealer network and put Alfa into a crap hole with a strip club next door. If it goes tits up I'll sell the car immediately despite how much I do like it.
Tits-up and next to a strip club??? :unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I disagree about the daily driver part, the 2.0 Giulia is a fantastic daily driver. If I were you, I would have traded for one of them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts