Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I race in vintage with a 1967 Triumph TR4. Been doing that for 20 years. Taking my new toy the QV to the track for the first time. Will be going to Fontana Autoclub infield course. Ill see what the times are for this vs. my full race Triumph with a Jerico.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oooh I'm jealous! I haven't had the balls/time to take mine to the track yet. Have a great time and post up some pics and videos

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The QV is dead stock. no upgrades. stock p zero. The time for my full race TR4 with sticky SM hoosiers 205/15/50 .200 hp at flywheel, two 45 webers, 14.5 CR, 3.70 rear end is 2.07 on the standard reverse course. they may have photographer on site. I inflate the hoosiers to 23lbs. I will likely use 40psi for the P zero. don't know what pressure to use. I could measure tire temp

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on track today

21 turns at Fontana. --- **** that car can handle and move. Had a glitch... coming around a turn the electronics indicated that the throttle needs attention. and took me out of race mode down to A mode. Only able to get 100mph out of it. Came in and went home after two twenty min sessions of full on racing. open pass, I was able to keep up with a GTR with big sticker tires around any corner. on the straight he pulled me a bit. but, not much. the stock brakes were litterally smoking hot when I came in. I took it around the pits for a bit to cool. 150 front straight before i had to lift. It was going to go to high in the bank... lots of marbles there. Although I did not have a transponder the Tricked out z28 in front of me that I followed for a lap did a 1.57 now to get the rubber off the clear bra.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
21 turns at Fontana. --- **** that car can handle and move. Had a glitch... coming around a turn the electronics indicated that the throttle needs attention. and took me out of race mode down to A mode. Only able to get 100mph out of it. Came in and went home after two twenty min sessions of full on racing. open pass, I was able to keep up with a GTR with big sticker tires around any corner. on the straight he pulled me a bit. but, not much. the stock brakes were litterally smoking hot when I came in. I took it around the pits for a bit to cool. 150 front straight before i had to lift. It was going to go to high in the bank... lots of marbles there. Although I did not have a transponder the Tricked out z28 in front of me that I followed for a lap did a 1.57 now to get the rubber off the clear bra.
@OP did you "2" pedal that turn when the light show started??

·
Registered
167 Posts
If your tank was less than 1/4 then that likely why the light triggered. The QV will do this on track when 20% or so of the tank is reached - we think its to prevent fuel surge so must always run the QV tank full and refill at 1/4.

Glad to hear someone else found the brakes a potential weak point. I thought I was the only one with steel brakes been having this issue but obviously you know how to pedal on that track so probably pushing on. If your front tires and pads could last a full day I suspect youd get to 1.55. The tires will +10psi pretty quickly so need to manage pressure or they will balloon and rip out the centre tread blocks...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad to hear someone else found the brakes a potential weak point. I thought I was the only one with steel brakes been having this issue...
It's good to know I'm not alone either :)

I took my Giulia QV to the track 100% stock and learned the very important lesson about the stock brake pads.

Here is what happened:

1. On the initial warm-up session I took it easy letting myself and the car ease into the track routine. The brakes were very linear and predictable, I was paying more attention to the feel of the tires (stock Corsas) which BTW performed admirably.

2. Not paying enough attention between sessions (again, being more concerned about the tires that were problem number one on all of my cars I have taken to the track before) I have failed to notice that the brake pads have shed a lot of material on that initial session. Mostly in the way of brake dust. The spend pad material plugged up the ventilation holes on the rotors — at this point whatever cooling benefit the drilled rotors were to provide was gone.

3. Subsequent track session built up my confidence in the brake performance. Linear, predictable, no fade. Here is my mistake number two: I have forgotten the fact that the car is a brake-by-wire. I was tracking the car with the brakes rapidly overheating... yet getting no indication of that happening. The pedal feel has not changed one bit, my braking points have not changed much either. The car was doing whatever it was being asked to do by the driver, actively using its brake-by-wire isolation level to compensate for the developing brake fade, plugged up rotors, deteriorating pads, etc.

4. At some point I started getting very slight "grinding" sensation under heavy breaking. The feel was not coming from the brake pedal, however, but through the car itself. My initial thought, wrongly again, was about the tires. Nevertheless, I cut my session short, cooled off the car, and headed for the pits.

5. This time I finally paid enough attention to the condition of the pads and rotors. There was a lot of pad material transfer to the rotors, melted and embedded in the rotor surface. Rotor ventilation holes were 100% plugged up, even on the rear disks. Brake pads were frayed on the edges. The wheels themselves were radiating a lot of heat. It was obvious I was done for the day.

IMHO the combination of the stock brake pads and brake-by-wire is a no-go for the track. Stock pads are great on the street, but I think even moderate track use warrants something different.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
21 turns at Fontana. --- **** that car can handle and move. Had a glitch... coming around a turn the electronics indicated that the throttle needs attention. and took me out of race mode down to A mode. Only able to get 100mph out of it. Came in and went home after two twenty min sessions of full on racing. open pass, I was able to keep up with a GTR with big sticker tires around any corner. on the straight he pulled me a bit. but, not much. the stock brakes were literally smoking hot when I came in. I took it around the pits for a bit to cool. 150 front straight before i had to lift. It was going to go to high in the bank... lots of marbles there. Although I did not have a transponder the Tricked out z28 in front of me that I followed for a lap did a 1.57 now to get the rubber off the clear bra.
That is what is called "doing it right!" when you can burn up stock parts with great driving skill! Awesome!

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is what is called "doing it right!" when you can burn up stock parts with great driving skill! Awesome!
Naw... that just means that the inadequate stock brake pads got cooked (see my post above).

No disrespect to the driver though :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
21 turns at Fontana.
AutoClub may claim 21 turns, most can be combined (ie. 7/8, 10/11, 18/19/20).

the stock brakes were litterally smoking hot when I came in.
New brakes will do that too. Or street pads.

150 front straight before i had to lift.
That's brave! I hate and love that track for that reason... lots of speed, and if you have a mechanical or have a driver error, there's just wall.

1:57 isn't bad. Looks like one GTR there did a 1:41, which is moving. A Miata shows a 1:51, which is crazy fast! Generally, anything under 2m at AAA is doing alright.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All: I was pitted next to an Audi R8 and GT3 which was next to a Mclaren which was next to a ferrari. Interesting there were more folks interested in the QV. questions were .. is this the high horsepower version? any rate...

The Fuel tank was indeed running low -not a fuel cell with pickups at both sides. Once the fuel tank was filled the check engine throttle issue went away.

I stock brake pads are likely glazed. I wanted to change to ceramic rotors but, its a no go.

Tires... I want to purchase a set of wheels and sticky tires next and change them for the track. Ill call Willwood and find a brake pad for the track. I looked at the pads. I have 1,100 miles on the car and the pads were fresh, now just a bit left. Need new pads. But, rotors are smooth with cooling holes filled.

The car needs more aero on the rear as it becomes light at high speed especially on bank. Hard to keep it in mid track unless throttle lift.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
www.fot-racing.com ( A site sort of started and am owner of..). my father in law raced at Le Man's and Sebring. I currently race two TR's. A TR6 and Tr4. Kas Kastner is my very dear team captain.

My first Car would have been a GTV ( thought that it was a coolest car..) my dad bought me a Datsun 2000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One day at the track melted away the brake pads. Does anyone know of have a source of
1) spare wheels 2) brake pads...

But, Im thinking use up the pads and save the rotors....

Mordy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I have to find a volvo forum for my Volvo s60R. I am going to convert it to full race / track only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
http://http://www.headgasket.com/vintage.html

Here are some photos... not of alfa however. The TR4 is mine. And Yes it is in front of the 911 and the BMW. This was some years ago. my car is much better prepared now. Jerico box, Nissan viscous limited slip, Pathfinder rear modified CV half shafts. Not exactly vintage but, the bore and stroke. The titanium rods, are .810" longer than stock but, stock stroke.

On the side I make Headgaskets. Made a lot of Gaskets for Alfas and have many CAD files on computer. 1300, 1600, 1750, 2000, twin spark etc.. I have Saved many motors as the heads were milled too many times and needed thicker head gaskets (3mm). I used to counter bore the thicker hg oil passageways and inserted viton o rings to seal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One day at the track melted away the brake pads. Does anyone know of have a source of
1) spare wheels 2) brake pads...
Here are the brake pad options I found so far:

1. Good selection from Zeckhausen. Ferodo DS2500 and StopTech 309 have been recommended.

2. Pagid RSL19 (endurance pads, may not be a good option for the street use). From alfa9supply.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts