Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd post a few pics that would link the new Giulia to the past. You can see the obvious connection between the new Giulia and other great Alfa designs. One might say the new Giulia is almost retro in a way...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
not sure I'd call the 164 series the father or grandfather of the new Giulia as these were not even called Giulia
thought you were going to show pics of the type 105 Giulia:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Well, the triangular center nose section is resemblematic.. Oh, and the headlight washers! :)

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure I'd call the 164 series the father or grandfather of the new Giulia as these were not even called Giulia
thought you were going to show pics of the type 105 Giulia:grin2:
How far we've come!

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stylistically, this one is a beauty...minus the interminable rust!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Stylistically, this one is a beauty...minus the interminable rust!
GTVs are GREAT driving cars....was looking at one in Allston not too long ago....yes the rust worm loves to eat at italian sheet metal....these especially in the rocker by the front fenders.....
but 105 Giulia's were the stuff Italian kids dreamed of...kitted out in Carabinieri Blue....or better with the Panther of the highway police on the fender>:)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just thought I'd post a few pics that would link the new Giulia to the past. You can see the obvious connection between the new Giulia and other great Alfa designs. One might say the new Giulia is almost retro in a way...lol
Maybe wrong, but I think I've seen that one at a workshop on Boston Post Road ... there is also a classic Ferrari workshop, I think Boston Sportscar Company on the same road which might have an Alfa or two occasionally. Near Biogen I believe

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe wrong, but I think I've seen that one at a workshop on Boston Post Road ... there is also a classic Ferrari workshop, I think Boston Sportscar Company on the same road which might have an Alfa or two occasionally. Near Biogen I believe
Boston Sports Car in Weston, MA. Lots of exotics. They are also a local Tubi dealer.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
As others have pointed out the 75 (called the Milano here in the USA) was really Alfa's last RWD sports sedan. They were actually quite advanced with a rear mounted transaxle, a deDion rear suspension, and Alfa's legendary V6.

Here are some pics of my low mileage Milano Verde (3.0)

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
As others have pointed out the 75 (called the Milano here in the USA) was really Alfa's last RWD sports sedan. They were actually quite advanced with a rear mounted transaxle, a deDion rear suspension, and Alfa's legendary V6.

Here are some pics of my low mileage Milano Verde (3.0)

styling was def. on the cutting edge:D I'll show myself out now:p
these were the Busso drivetrains?? like in the GTV Coupe of the 80's?

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
these were the Busso drivetrains?? like in the GTV Coupe of the 80's?
Yes - the Busso V6 was originally used in a larger sedan called the Alfa 6 which made its debut in 1979. Alfa next used that engine in the GTV/6 coupe and Milano sedan. All of those engines were 2.5 liters. In 1987 Alfa launched the 3.0 version of that engine in the Milano Verde, which was called the 75 QV in other markets. The GTV/6 and Milano are virtually identical in mechanical specs, just with different body styles.

The 3.0 version of the engine was also used in the 164 but that was a transverse/FWD layout, and the engine continued on in a number of other models after Alfa left the US. It was upgraded from the original SOHC configuration to a DOHC version in 1993 for the last 2 years of the 164.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I really think that Joe is correct. The new Giulia is the descendant of the Alfa 75 from the 80's. This is a good thing, the 75 won a lot of races back in the 80's and was one of the last really competitive Alfas.

Greg

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I really think that Joe is correct. The new Giulia is the descendant of the Alfa 75 from the 80's. This is a good thing, the 75 won a lot of races back in the 80's and was one of the last really competitive Alfas.

Greg
I don't see the new Giulia in any DTM BTCC or ITCC competitions....at least not for a couple of years minimum...if at all...
That said...not sure Larini would like this car:D

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know if the Giulia will compete in touring car racing or anything else, but I certainly think it could. I am not sure if Alfa really wants to go racing, but I hope they do!

Greg

·
Registered
64 Posts
I drove that car (could have been this exact one?) from 1990 - 1995. Until it finally went into the shop one time too many...
Lots of good memories.

See what still hangs on my wall at the office, below. (Note the shamans that I have protecting it)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I don't know if the Giulia will compete in touring car racing or anything else, but I certainly think it could. I am not sure if Alfa really wants to go racing, but I hope they do!

Greg
there was some dribble about F1 and Alfa...but more noise than anything else...I think Lauda drove for Alfa in F1 when they were partnered w/Brabham
The days of Ascari, Ferrari, Nuvolari are gone:frown2:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Greg
The only Alfa sedan with front-engine RWD layout before the 952 Giulia was the 75, it is absolutely the predecessor. Very special

·
Registered
580 Posts
The only Alfa sedan with front-engine RWD layout before the 952 Giulia was the 75, it is absolutely the predecessor. Very special
In recent times that's true, but prior to the 164 every Alfa sedan sold in the US was a front engine rear drive layout. The only Alfa I can think of that was front wheel drive was the SUD, which wasn't sold here.

Greg

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Well, except for the:

Giulietta Berlina (1955-)
2000/2600 Berlina "Cast Iron" (1962-)
Giulia Ti and Super (1965-)
1750 Berlina (1669-)
2000 Berlina (1972-)
Alfetta Berlina/Sports Sedan (1975-)

These were all 4-cylinder cars except for the 2600, which had a straight 6, and was a much larger, more luxurious car than the smaller Alfas.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts