Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Whittier. Picked up a Giulia a month ago. What a fun car to drive. Have added a few mods after break in. Looking forward to many miles of smiles.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Would love your thoughts on what the experience with the Cayman was. We had one join us in our run group at Limerock track last weekend and he had a hard time shaking our members but on the straights he was able to pull :)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,473 Posts
Whenever I hear of Whittier, I think of the one in Alaska. Be a nice place for a Giulia photo opp.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,473 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome and congrats! Would love your thoughts on what the experience with the Cayman was. We had one join us in our run group at Limerock track last weekend and he had a hard time shaking our members but on the straights we was able to pull :)
The Cayman is a great car. I see it as the true successor of the older 911. It is smaller and more of a true driving experience, whereas the current 911 has grown in size and is somewhat of a luxury car and a bit of a Veblen purchase. The Cayman's driving experience did not excite me as much as the Alfa. The interior of the Porsche is generic with a lot of buttons. The clean look of the Alfa styling in "tan" with the Rosso exterior reminds me of an early Eighties 911 spartan interior (as well as a late '60's Alfa).

My expectation before the test drives was that I would end up with the Porsche...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not only the Cayman but also the 991. I had two options after selling my 993 C2 which had a 4 points rollbar. Or the 991 or the QV. I tried the QV and was impressed and I ordered it. After 12 years driving Porsche I wanted a change. The seating position of the QV (with carbon seats) made it all - better than the 911. And having a bigger car is also nice! Beeing able to put two luggages is not a luxury ?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
"Shaking our members"
Not while you are driving, I hope.

??
:)
Figuratively of course.. he was a nice chap :D

The Cayman is a great car. I see it as the true successor of the older 911. It is smaller and more of a true driving experience, whereas the current 911 has grown in size and is somewhat of a luxury car and a bit of a Veblen purchase. The Cayman's driving experience did not excite me as much as the Alfa. The interior of the Porsche is generic with a lot of buttons. The clean look of the Alfa styling in "tan" with the Rosso exterior reminds me of an early Eighties 911 spartan interior (as well as a late '60's Alfa).

My expectation before the test drives was that I would end up with the Porsche...
Interesting write up, thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Would love your thoughts on what the experience with the Cayman was. We had one join us in our run group at Limerock track last weekend and he had a hard time shaking our members but on the straights he was able to pull :)
The orange Cayman driver was a nice guy. Was that a base or S? I only saw it in my rear view mirror and didn’t see the tail. He made a point of coming up to me and telling me that out on the track he could keep closer in the twisty bits but was shocked how far behind he would fall behind once we hit the straights. He said “that thing is a beast”. Love the Cayman, great car, great balance.

The silver Cayman GT4 sounded amazing. One of the better sounding modern Porsche’s out there...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I haven't driven one of the turbo'd Caymans but I had an '07 Cayman S some years back. Until the Giulia, it had been clearly been the most perfect car I'd ever driven (and I wouldn't say the Giulia's better, but rather it's equal, dynamically -- speaking of the Ti, with each car having it's relative strengths but overall very comparable as a seat of the pants experience). Still think back to that Cayman S somewhat wistfully. For me personally, for many years, Alfa and Porsche both have just been far and ahead more special than any other makes. I suspect I'll always feel that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts