Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Giulia use copper or aluminum wiring?
Aluminum wiring can save quite a bit of weight compared to copper, but is challenging to make reliable. I read that most of the European car manufacturers switched to aluminum in the last 15 years or so. The savings can be 40 lbs or so.

Known problems with aluminum compared to copper include:

Corrodes in an alkaline environment, such as when exposed to road salt.

Corrodes in a mixed metal environment, such as when mating the wire to most electrical connectors and devices.

Cold flows, causing connections to come apart. When a connection starts to come apart the metal heats up and cold flows more easily, sometimes resulting in thermal run away (explosive melting of the connection). Note that Aluminum wire is dead-soft with no alloying elements.

The thermal coefficient of expansion does not match most electrical connectors, causing some kinds of connections to come apart after thermal cycling.

Requires larger diameter wire than copper, making retrofitting copper with aluminum to save weight difficult. Note that for the same electric resistance you need about 1/2 of the weight of aluminum compared to copper, but for equal volumes aluminum is 1/3 the weight of copper.

Of course copper wire is not without its faults, but aluminum seems to raise the ante. Aluminum wiring calls for lots of dielectric grease on both sides of all connectors to prevent corrosion and spring loaded connectors to deal with the cold flow and thermal expansion.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Does Giulia use copper or aluminum wiring?
I speculated and suggested this back in February:

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/41450-post37.html

To date I've seen no confirmation that the Giulia does have CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wiring. That said, I believe the harnesses (at least the engine wiring harness) are sourced from Delphi, a major supplier of CCA wiriing harnesses to OEMs.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I speculated and suggested this back in February:

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/41450-post37.html

To date I've seen no confirmation that the Giulia does have CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wiring. That said, I believe the harnesses (at least the engine wiring harness) are sourced from Delphi, a major supplier of CCA wiriing harnesses to OEMs.
Wouldn't the weight of the wire be apparent by examining a battery cable after disconnecting it from the battery?

I'm all for reducing weight and my original thought that started this line of questioning was asking if the battery cables could be aluminum. Since Giulia's battery is in the trunk, the cables must be long and if copper, heavy. I also wonder if the chassis is used for ground, or if there is a separate ground cable from the front to the battery? Given that the chassis is made in mixed metal sections, there is potential for trouble if the chassis is used as a conductor.

Aluminum conductors need to be larger than copper, unless the copper was substantially over sized to start with. Aluminum is as flexible as copper, but has lower tensile strength; it is easier to break by pulling on it. I have no idea if the stranding is similar. Solid conductor wires have a smaller cross section for the gauge, but are hard to bend and are more sensitive to repeated bending.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.