Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am an Alfa Romeo salesman and had a customer comparing a Giulia to a Lexus, and were upset that the Giulia residual was not as high as the Lexus. I am a little confused as to how / why they are comparing these apples and oranges but I told the customer that looking solely at residual value is very unusual way to shop.

What is the most polite response to overcome this objection that you can think of?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey all,

I am an Alfa Romeo salesman and had a customer comparing a Giulia to a Lexus, and were upset that the Giulia residual was not as high as the Lexus. I am a little confused as to how / why they are comparing these apples and oranges but I told the customer that looking solely at residual value is very unusual way to shop.

What is the most polite response to overcome this objection that you can think of?
"I can understand if you want to buy a Lexus at your age"

·
Registered
537 Posts
Being that the Alfa is a new model how can it be compared to a Lexus for resale value?
Regardless, it will of course not hold its value as well as an established brand such as Lexus, I doubt anything will to be honest.
If he’s concerned about resale, maybe he should simply lease instead of buying?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
"Have you discussed annuities with your financial adviser?"

·
Registered
52 Posts
In all seriousness, I had always wanted the Jaguar XFR(not the current generation geriatric hag they have called the XF). I found a 2015 in Austin, and some older ones in Houston. I then went ahead and test drove both the A4 & A5, the 335, the C300, the IS350 and the Camaro before finally getting a Ti Lusso.

The Camaro wins as a driving experience but it is just that, you cant do anything else with it.

The A4 and A5 seem to be good but its like driving a Ps4 on a sofa.. I would probably not know if I am about to kill myself.

The 335 is a disaster, the C-300 a plush sofa but that is that.

The Lexus I went near to, looked at.. and eventually decided it was just too sensible. It is too utilitarian and besides the exterior which screams middle age crisis or Fresh Twenty something; its pathetic.

But what really sealed the deal with the Alfa besides its looks was the Salesman put with their tech guy, and he took me on a rather aggressive test drive. He let me push the car, doing 50 around a turning circle or letting it go beyond certain limits. The car sold itself then.

As for residual, yes.. mine is at 52%.. which isnt much but then many of these Luxury types arent.
I intend to return the Alfa or swap the lease halfway not because I dont love the car, but because I cant wait for the next model or getting a QV.
So it depends on the customer too.

Some you cannot convince besides residual values, maintenance costs(although i think Alfa Care is quite good). Because then there is nothing better than getting a Toyota Avalon(what is Lexus anyway??).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would say how many Lexuses do you see on the road? Then ask how many Alfas have you seen? Then say "so you want to drive what everyone else is driving"?

Reactions: AlfaAlex

·
Registered
201 Posts
I came from a 2015 is350 awd fsport series 3 (atomic silver, black). Here was my review way back:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/#/topics/25210

Currently the main things id point out are 8 gears, 100%rwd (q4) instead of 70/30%, and that it's unique vs being an eyebore benz bimmer audi lexus.

Or you could just say that at least the giulia doesn't look like a new Camry.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I came from a 2015 is350 awd fsport series 3 (atomic silver, black). Here was my review way back:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/#/topics/25210

Currently the main things id point out are 8 gears, 100%rwd (q4) instead of 70/30%, and that it's unique vs being an eyebore benz bimmer audi lexus.

Or you could just say that at least the giulia doesn't look like a new Camry.
Your link didn't work for me. Here is a link that does:

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/5...-competition/25210-vs-lexus-is350-fsport.html

IMO the Lexus is just plain ugly.

Also, if a potential buyer only cares about residual values perhaps a Alfa-Romeo is not for him. KBB says buy a Camry or a Panamera.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Go to the NYAROC website. I have an article on there talking about my Alfa buying experience and why I got rid of my RC coupe after one year. My fifteen minutes of fame.>:)

Reactions: AlfaAlex

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey all,

@AlfaAlex Umm... Isn't it your SM's job to educate you on closing strategies? Just giving you a hard time...

As a layman, I would suggest saying "A lexus is a smart buy from a financial statndpoint, but it's an appliance, and honestly may be the best option for many people. But you came in here looking at Alfa. Which means you are likely looking for something that stirs the soul. Something visceral. Something that makes you want to drive just to get behind the wheel. Something you look back at every time you walk away, and look forward to every time you walk up to it. Not something you drive just because you need milk. In 5-10 years do you want to remember all the great times you had driving, and the experiences your family had, or do you want an extra $5K in the bank because you took the safe but boring route? Either choice is right, but which is right for YOU?"

Not everyone is an Alfa buyer. And that's ok.

That's my $0.02c

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
@AlfaAlex Umm... Isn't it your SM's job to educate you on closing strategies? Just giving you a hard time...

As a layman, I would suggest saying "A lexus is a smart buy from a financial statndpoint, but it's an appliance, and honestly may be the best option for many people. But you came in here looking at Alfa. Which means you are likely looking for something that stirs the soul. Something visceral. Something that makes you want to drive just to get behind the wheel. Something you look back at every time you walk away, and look forward to every time you walk up to it. Not something you drive just because you need milk. In 5-10 years do you want to remember all the great times you had driving, and the experiences your family had, or do you want an extra $5K in the bank because you took the safe but boring route? Either choice is right, but which is right for YOU?"

Not everyone is an Alfa buyer. And that's ok.

That's my $0.02c
Never had "the residual value is too low" as an objection, even though monthly payment was at exactly where he said he wanted to be :smile2:. I forgot to mention this was also a customer who I was working with over the phone from out of state.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Comparing the residual of an Alfa to a Lexus IS like asking if it’s there’s a difference between marrying for love, or through an arranged marriage. You just need to decide if you want to make the decision with your heart. And, oh yeah, Jeremy Clarkson said that a Lexus always comes with a whiff of masonry.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I don't really care about residual for this transaction, I loved the car too much, but he did mention at some point how "this residual is low, but I think that it might not be worth that little when it heads to auction/sells after 3 years, and of course you get a credit for the difference."

Personally I feel it's bullcrap but it makes you feel a little better at least

1 - 20 of 52 Posts