Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
StingerForums.com - The Largest Kia Stinger Forum, Community And Owner's Club

I haven't seen such discussion in this section, which truly suprises me :)
ATM I believe new Stinger is rare example of a car, which may potentially drive, cost or be equipped better than Giulia
In Poland for the price of Ti version, you may choose 360hp Q4 car designed by one of the best M-Power designers looking like S7

Hard to pretend it can't compete

Cheaper versions are also bit stronger and slightly cheaper for value

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am waiting for a true road test before drawing any conclusions. As far as I know, Kia has only allowed it to be previewed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wanted one but couldn't wait for it. I will of course look at it once it comes out but am enjoying my Giulia!

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too am looking forward to it.. people don't realize the power house Hyundai/Kia has created to develop the stinger and their Genesis brand..The stinger is the first attempt by Albert from BMW M brand to help Kia with its performance and driving dynamics.

Look at the people below! Lol

1) Peter Sheeter - Chief designer from Audi.. created the audi TT

2) Albert Biermann - Cheif engineer who was responsible for the development BMW M brand

3) Lux Donkerwolfe - Cheif director of design for VW, Bentley and Lamborghini.

4) SEO Jae - Senior designer.for Bentley

5) Chris Chapman. - Designer at BMW

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Stinger looking like an S7? Lolz
While it might be dynamically great car (time will tell, I read the short preview test and there were no exclamation points in it), stylistically it is to my eyes just a mess....KIAs have come a long way in quality and engineering but ultimately they lack that untangible zing, which is quite understandable considering the lack of tradition and identity...to me the closest KIa came to creating a cool car is a Soul...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The crux, Lowflyer, is that his will be true until they break through...and which car will be that breakthrough is the million dollar question. KIA has the reliability and engineering chops to make this car special, time will tell.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'll wait until I get a chance to drive a stinger, but I have a hard time believing it would drive as well as the QV or regular Giulia. Japanese\Korean cars tend to be more Lexus-like in driving dynamics and feel, but I'll wait until I have a chance to drive one before making a final observation ....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The crux, Lowflyer, is that his will be true until they break through...and which car will be that breakthrough is the million dollar question. KIA has the reliability and engineering chops to make this car special, time will tell.
I hear you loud and clear....but what makes a great performance sedan a breakthrough success? Is it Brembo brakes and RWD and fine handling or does it take something more? KIA has german engineers and designers now for a decade and their cars start looking more and more like Audis....and here lies the problem, KIa has no identity of its own...lack of unique creativity has been plaguing asian makers for ever and that is why i doubt that Stinger will feel unique even though it may drive very well...it all boils down to corporate culture and brand management and thats why KIA/Hyundai/Genesis are mostly always also ran....and capture mostly lower price range buyers....brand is in my opinion just managed as an econo product line..not that there is anything wrong with it......until that changes I just dont see german/italian buyers flocking to Koreans for 255HP 4T or 365HP V6TT....M5, S7? The car just looks like an incoherent mess of details to me from every angle....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Like most of us, I haven't driven, or even seen a Kia Stinger, but based on my previous experience with Hyundais (Hyundai owns a big chuck of Kia, and they share a lot of mechanical parts) I don't think the Kia will offer anywhere near the Giulia's driving experience.

I owned a Genesis Coupe R spec, which by the numbers is a great 4cyl turbo car. It's specs look impressive for the money, and the performance numbers it generates look good as well. The Hyundai just had too may little things that added up to ruin what should have been a great driving car.

Greg

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I just read about it on Edmunds and it seems Kia is going after the Sports Sedan market in an all out way. Price will determine how it does. Would you spend $50k plus for a Kia? I know I would not. The styling seems to be thrown together from the parts bin, it doesn't flow like the Giulia and certainly doesn't have the sex appeal. If the V6 is at $35k they will have a winner but it will not be in my garage.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think the Stinger has too many black accents. Kia did the same with the Optima. Meaning for me it'll only look good in black. On paper it's a cool car but it's so telling that it's still not out yet.

I was more excited by the Genesis G70. Genesis is a hungry brand. The G80 is beautiful outside and the G90 is great in and out. I think a sport sedan they can pull off.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
I have seen it and agree it's a step forward for Hyundai/Kia. I liked the interior more than the exterior (color accents help) but found the outward visibility poor and the car's weight disappointing. Let's not forget when comparing that the Stinger is a half-foot longer than the Giulia.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've liked everything that I have read and seen on this car. I would not have picked it over my QV, but I still think it's a nice car and can't wait to read more of the formal reviews. At close to $50k for the top end spec that's a lot of coin for a Kia.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
869 Posts
A K900 is a lot of coin for a Kia. The v8 starts at $61k - makes the Stinger seem a bit cheaper.

Plus, the Stinger and the G70 will share parts so if the G70 comes out soon, mules are being seen driving around, then we can know what to expect.

The G70 looks like it may be an interesting alternative to the Giulia/i300/C300/ATS pack.

G70:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-genesis-g70-prototype-drive-review
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a12265182/2018-genesis-g70-first-drive/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've seen one Stinger GT in the service area in Warsaw (PL) - thought they started to repair Audis ;) So I can expect a chance for test drive soon enough. Our journalist also report, that it steals the show in Frankfurt event. Regarding "still driving KIA", Alfa does not sound much better in last two decades unfortunately - if they developed a car as good as Giulia relatively cheaper, it can storm the market. I don't mean just GT, but also weaker versions, where brilliant suspension and fun factor of Alfa have less weight of evidence than MPG or safety systems for similar price.

But I would be more than happy if I am mistaken ;)))

·
Registered
226 Posts
2 months ago we had a Kia Optima as a rental for a 2-week vacation.. I was psyched when picking it up as I always thought it was a handsome sedan. Most underwhelming 2-week ride of my life... handled like a big-assed boat... and absolutely no connection between the throttle and the road. Maybe the Stinger will be different, but based on my Optima experience not holding my breath .

1 - 20 of 220 Posts