Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question: For all those that own both a Giulia and a 4c, does the 4c feel like it is a 'generation' old as compared to the Giulia? I'm not talking about performance because I know they are completely different cars with different purposes (I was this close to buying a 4c until Sergio and Bigend decided they didn't want to sell me one in a timely fashion!) But just in terms of fit, finish, technology and overall feel. I'm curious because I was in a 4c the other day and it just felt sooo dated up against the Giulia. I didn't get that 'dated' feeling as much when compared to the FIAT 124 however.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a 4C and had a Giulia as loan car for a day. To me the 4C as a whole doesn't feel old: it has a very fresh design, the body is made from composite material and when you sit in the car you sit you can see the carbonfibre tub. To me this is high tech although these days when people talk about tech in cars they are often referring to infotainment unit and active safety assists both of which are non-existent in 4C.

The thing on the 4c that may feel a bit old is its TCT transmission which is not entirely refined at low speeds. Having said that I don't think the ZF 8 speed from the Giulia, as brilliant as it is, suits the 4C. In a way the 8 speed is too smooth for a hardcore sport car. When driving the Giulia I could barely feel the gear changes which is a good thing for a luxury sedan but not for a sports car.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Here's a question: For all those that own both a Giulia and a 4c, does the 4c feel like it is a 'generation' old as compared to the Giulia? I'm not talking about performance because I know they are completely different cars with different purposes (I was this close to buying a 4c until Sergio and Bigend decided they didn't want to sell me one in a timely fashion!) But just in terms of fit, finish, technology and overall feel. I'm curious because I was in a 4c the other day and it just felt sooo dated up against the Giulia. I didn't get that 'dated' feeling as much when compared to the FIAT 124 however.
ask RacerZ...he has had a 4c for quite sometime...and has a Ti...I believe...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Different strokes for different folks!

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Owning and Having spent a good amount of time in both vehicles here is my take:

The 4C is not dated but designed for a specific task. While the car "can" be used as a daily driver its designed for a visceral driving experience. While some of these traits are visible in the Giulias crisp chassis dynamics and direct steering attributes it lacks a bit of the rawness of the Alfa 4C. The Giulia is also a bit more versatile and mass market friendly. Both are fantastic cars but designed for two duties and this shows not only in driving dynamics but also within the interior. Keep in mind, sliding into a carbon tub and grabbing an alcantara wheel is far from dated, in my book anyways.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A Giulia TI is on my list for the wife once her current lease ends, but every time I get in my 4C it is an over the top experience, it's like being at your favorite rock & roll concert and having a seat in the first 5 rows. Totally love that Alfa had the balls to bring such a car to market. It's my 2/3rd car so always an occasion.

Did the NY Auto Show yesterday, not crowded at all so plenty of seat time in the 3/4 Giulias on display. I'm really loving the Volcano Black, the metal flakes seem to be silver,red,green...wife likes the red/black interior too which surprised me, 19" 5 hole wheels and I'm set. Love the Giulia...

·
Registered
73 Posts
A Giulia TI is on my list for the wife once her current lease ends, but every time I get in my 4C it is an over the top experience, it's like being at your favorite rock & roll concert and having a seat in the first 5 rows. Totally love that Alfa had the balls to bring such a car to market. It's my 2/3rd car so always an occasion.

Did the NY Auto Show yesterday, not crowded at all so plenty of seat time in the 3/4 Giulias on display. I'm really loving the Volcano Black, the metal flakes seem to be silver,red,green...wife likes the red/black interior too which surprised me, 19" 5 hole wheels and I'm set. Love the Giulia...
Forgot to mention that they also had 3/4 Stelvio's on display, will be a tough decision next June...I want them both! Stelvio was smaller than I
anticipated though but still quite fine for her.

·
Registered
223 Posts

I have a Volcano Black Giulia here in Austin, TX and in the sun this baby looks amazing! I am constantly getting compliments on the car and the paint color....even from BMW drivers! LOLOLOLOL!

Rags747 - Were you on the B747? I was on the 747 at NWA back in the day based in MSP.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
We are lucky enough to have both a 4C and a Giulia QV in our stable, and I've driven both back to back. They are very different, but choosing a favorite is like being asked to choose which of your children you like best.

The overall defining characteristic of the 4C is lightness and directness, and the engine has huge midrange torque which exaggerates this feeling. You feel and hear everything in the 4C, from pebbles hitting the chassis to the exhaust right behind you. The twin-clutch gearbox seems to fit the car well, and works better when pushed hard than driven slowly. I don't think it feels dated, but most of my Alfas are 25+ years old so my perspective may be a bit biased.

The Giulia QV is much more refined, and heavier. The chassis is great, the steering and brakes are great, but the engine is just phenomenal. The way it screams up to the rev limiter is simply addicting, and this experience defines the car for me. I really can't get enough of it, and there isn't anything it doesn't do well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a Volcano Black Giulia here in Austin, TX and in the sun this baby looks amazing! I am constantly getting compliments on the car and the paint color....even from BMW drivers! LOLOLOLOL!

Rags747 - Were you on the B747? I was on the 747 at NWA back in the day based in MSP.
Actually I had a Corvette Grand Sport where the series was 1-1,000. Mine was #747 so I grabbed that thinking it was kinda cool. Now that the Vette
Is gone it doesn't make much sense. I wish I flew a 747, any one of them would be fine with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 4 C with 307 Hp and the Giulia QV and a few other Alfa from earlier times. My opinion is that the 4C is a car for all who like to drive a "car" like in the 80-90 ties without any elelctroniv helpers. You need physical strenght and should be awake every time you drive the 4C. Ist still a great pleasure. The accelaration up to 60 km/h is better then with the Giulia but its not very funny to drive faster then 180 km/h or faster with the 4C.
The Giulia is a very comfortable and good and easy to handle. You could drive the car even if you have not that much experience. Thats great if you just have to go from A to B, but always with a lot of fun. I mean the accelaration if you push down the accelatrator at 200 km/h up to 300 km/h is absolutly great. And compared to a M4 there are worlds in between. Hope you guys could understand what I mean.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
No Wave

Guy was yakking on his cellphone.* Where's the brotherhood?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drove the 4C quite a while ago for a potential replacement for my Lotus Exige 240.
It was nice, but nothing like the Lotus. The Giulia QV has so much more connect, and personality.
You get out of the car, and want to get back in. The 4C didn't do that for me.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
Even though they were DL in the end, I miss seeing the Queens of the Sky at DTW. Our last flight on one was Seoul and back.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Still looking at the 4C to add to the Alfa Romeo family......I have been on the 4C forum and they swear by it...... of course.....

My first test drive was nice, but definitely would not consider the 4C a DD in Boston rush hour, more like a week-end/track toy....

·
Registered
537 Posts
4C dated? No. It reminds me of a go cart with a body whenever I drive one, and I drive them as often as I can since they’re so much fun, such pure driving pleasure, man and machine. It looks modern inside, but yes, it’s missing a big infotainment screen and some creature comforts, but that’s what the car is about, any of that crap in that car would ruin the experience imo.

Reactions: rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had a chance to drive a 4C today while taking the Giulia in for its first service and some software updates. Very enjoyable... unfiltered and pure driving experience. Would love to get one to play with. You just feel everything and that's what is so great about it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have the 2017 Giulia Sport approaching 40k miles courtesy of a 110 mile round trip commute. I sell Alfa Romeos in DC Metro so have had the opportunity to drive the 4C Coupe a short distance.

Adore my Giulia and at the same time cannot get the 4C out of my head. Seriously thinking of getting a 4C as a second car at some point in the future. We have a good deal on a new MY17 coupe in white with red interior waiting for the right enthusiast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts