Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Veloce has the 19" wheels - 35 aspect ratio at the rear and 40 aspect ratio in the front (cannot remember tyre width). The owner's manual says tyre pressure should be around 33psi front and 34 psi rear but, on the rear door, the label says should be rear 42 psi and fronts 39psi.

When I took delivery, they were all around 40psi and I reduced them after I had read the owner's manual. I only discovered the label (which is on the left hand rear door) when I washed the car at the weekend.

Does anybody know which are the correct tyre pressures to use?

My 159, which also had 19" low profile tyres, has pressures similar to the higher pressures on its label.

Thanks
Chuckyb,

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,285 Posts
im running 36 front 38 rear
the door label is for a fully loaded car, the manual has more details

159 had higher front pressure because of FWD and had same profile all round, this has staggered set-up and i was told higher rear pressure than front to help with understeer

225/40/19 front
255/35/19 rear

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im running 36 front 38 rear
the door label is for a fully loaded car, the manual has more details

159 had higher front pressure because of FWD and had same profile all round, this has staggered set-up and i was told higher rear pressure than front to help with understeer

225/40/19 front
255/35/19 rear
Thanks Pappa Gallo, I've since discovered that the door label is for a fully laden vehicle.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
37 Posts
When my dealer was showing me the Infotainment System, yesterday when I picked up my Ti, I saw that the tire pressures were 60-62. I knew from reading this forum that that was not good. Have since bled them down.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When my dealer was showing me the Infotainment System, yesterday when I picked up my Ti, I saw that the tire pressures were 60-62. I knew from reading this forum that that was not good. Have since bled them down.

Picked up my Quad from the dealer two weeks ago and did not realize until yesterday that I was driving around with 62 PSI on all four tires. No wonder the car had a hard ride. Considering all the thngs that they did not do I am wondering what the $695 dealer prep charge was for.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Picked up my Quad from the dealer two weeks ago and did not realize until yesterday that I was driving around with 62 PSI on all four tires. No wonder the car had a hard ride. Considering all the thngs that they did not do I am wondering what the $695 dealer prep charge was for.
Dealer prep? $695?
Doesn't Alfa pay for that?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think it is just another word for "lets squeeze some more money". Alledgly it is to pre the car after it comes off the truck for delivery. Also includes docs and title works. I think. COnsidering I got the car, they hardly did anything other than remove the shipping wrap and a lousy job at that.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
can the US guys confirm that its the same info for the slightly heavier Ti ?
our Veloce is heavier as well but the pressures specs seem to be for all engines except Quadrifoglio which has different pressures obviously

·
Registered
180 Posts
can the US guys confirm that its the same info for the slightly heavier Ti ?
our Veloce is heavier as well but the pressures specs seem to be for all engines except Quadrifoglio which has different pressures obviously
Papa,

I have Ti in AWD, owner's manual says curb weight just over 3600 pounds. B pillar placard says pressures should be 35 psi front and 37 psi rear tires. Location: Columbus, Ohio, US.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
ah, ok, i see, you get a plate specific to that actual car, ours has all the tyre sizes on it
if you were to change the tyre set up you will need the manual

35 front 37 rear looks the same as ours for 225/40/19 all round, ok so the rest of it should be the same

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got Veloce with QV size wheels with Corsas and I'm running 36psi front and 33psi rear as suggested by my tyre guy (apparently its better on the rain with lower back air pressure) I havent tried playing with the tyre pressure but im not sure if it is the correct since the Veloce its lighter then the QV. Is there anyone with the same set up on the Veloce or any suggestions on the correct pressure?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My own thought is that recommended tire pressures assume the car is fully loaded. On my Quad, now on Michelin 3 A/S tires, I run two pounds less in the rear, and one less in the front, checked when temps are cool. Your pressures will vary a few pounds from a cold day to a hot day. I used a tire tread depth gage on my Alfa's former Corsa's, and found slightly more wear in the rear center's with the recommended pressures, so dropped then as above when that was noticeable. My former Jag had two recommended pressures, one for less and one for over sustained 100 mph. Plus, I use a racing tire gage, that reads to .1 pound. I also check when the car is not sitting with one side in the sun, the other in the shade.

You might get a depth gage, and a quality racing tire gage and watch your wear pattern.

NV

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I got Veloce with QV size wheels with Corsas and I'm running 36psi front and 33psi rear as suggested by my tyre guy (apparently its better on the rain with lower back air pressure) I haven't tried playing with the tyre pressure but im not sure if it is the correct since the Veloce its lighter then the QV. Is there anyone with the same set up on the Veloce or any suggestions on the correct pressure?
I have the QV size 8.5J and 10J on my RWD 2.0. I have been running 2.4 bar (35 psig) front and 2.3 bar (33 psig) rear without any issues for the last year. I sometimes raise it to 36 front and 34 rears. As it is so susceptible to temperature when checking cold pressures, a psi either side is not going to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,601 Posts
The key to first approximation tire inflation pressure, particularly when changing the tire size or type is to reference the load rating of the original and replace tires and use that to look up the mfg expected loading on the OEM tire and inflation pressure that produces the same load capacity for the new tire.

For example the OEM 225 40R19 tires are 93XL. If the replacement tire is also 93XL use the same inflation pressure. If the replacement tire is 93SL or 98XL you need to adjust the tire pressure. In the case of my Nokian R3 245 40R19 98XL tires the inflation pressure should be reduced substantially compared to the OEM tires; in fact so much that the underinflated tire alarm will be on continuously. As a result, I compromise and use just enough pressure to extinguish the alarm.

I agree with @NAM VET that the Alfa inflation pressures are apparently based on full load (5 occupants + 150pounds of luggage). Don't forget that temperature and altitude alter your tires pressure.

For some reason the inflation pressure table is considered proprietary by the institution that publishes it. Even so Toyo has published it:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.