Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum and new to Alfa Romeo. Bought my first last month. That being a Giulia Veloce 280hp 2017. Now I want to know if I am able to launch this as I'm unsure and don't want to cause any problems to my car. I have read some threads stating people launch their veloce ti, but I don't know if the same applies to the standard veloce. Just a case of mash the brake pedal and the accelerator? Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Press brake and then pedal. Let off brake and floor it. It doesn't have a launch mode but yes you will be good.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
My Stelvio has a sticker stating it is safe launch certified 🤔😁
Does that mean the cluster doesn't light up like a Christmas tree if you press the brake and accelerator pedals simultaneously?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
134 Posts
Does that mean the cluster doesn't light up like a Christmas tree if you press the brake and accelerator pedals simultaneously?
Just push brake to floor.
Push accelerator to floor.
@ 2500 rpm, let off the brake and go.
Never had any codes with it.
Just push brake to floor.
Push accelerator to floor.
@ 2500 rpm, let off the brake and go.
Never had any codes with it.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
The trick is that if the car is not moving you can push both pedals together and no code.
If the car is moving brake + accelerator for more than ? time gets you a CEL.

Presumably if at a standstill you push both pedals for more than a second or two you run a risk of overheating your transmission fluid. You are putting a lot of torque on the drivetrain in any case--probably not the best for it.
Playing with how quickly you slam the accelerator to the floor when you release the brake can yield a fairly wide range of results. There is plenty of discussion of this in the forums. Results will vary with the equipment on the car (tires, LSD, Q4, etc)

If you just want a responsive start, I have found that very gently depressing the accelerator while holding the brake yields a much better start than simply stomping on the accelerator. I believe that the transmission shifts to neutral to save fuel once you come to a full stop. Touching the accelerator just enough to register appears to override this behavior and makes the car ready to go when you are ready.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The trick is that if the car is not moving you can push both pedals together and no code.

Presumably if at a standstill you push both pedals for more than a second or two you run a risk of overheating your transmission fluid. You are putting a lot of torque on the drivetrain in any case--probably not the best for it.
Playing with how quickly you slam the accelerator to the floor when you release the brake can yield a fairly wide range of results. There is plenty of discussion of this in the forums. Results will vary with the equipment on the car (tires, LSD, Q4, etc)

If you just want a responsive start, I have found that very gently depressing the accelerator while holding the brake yields a much better start than simply stomping on the accelerator. I believe that the transmission shifts to neutral to save fuel once you come to a full stop. Touching the accelerator just enough to register appears to override this behavior and makes the car ready to go when you are ready.
Pretty interesting thing... Try this. Next time you come to a complete stop put it in race mode. Hold the brake hard. Listen to the exhaust. Slowly let off the pedal but not enough to move and listen again.

I can hear my exhaust change for some reason. Sort of like the car is in neutral when the brake is pushed down hard.

On my QV. Can't speak to the 2.0.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts

I find my Giulia responds best to progressive accelerator input. Stomping is counterproductive.
Stompie, on the other hand, is at the same time sad and inspiring. Maybe even a little cute?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts