Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I posted my first impressions of the Giulia Ti Q4 here: http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/2...ion/14546-giulia-ti-q4-first-impressions.html

My assessment was generally positive.

Unfortunately, I may have spoken too soon, as my car has been to the dealer two additional times (and is there now) since I wrote that post. I'm still on team Alfa, but it's getting harder and harder by the issue to remain.

Issues experienced these past two weeks:

• Cold start, driving up an incline out of my parking garage, car starts to violently shudder, goes into limp mode and throws a "Check Engine" light and "Auto Start/Stop Disabled" warning. Gas and brake were not being applied simultaneously. Switching the car off and on forces it into "A" mode with the codes still remaining. A few hours later after reading one of the recommendations on this forum, I open and close my hood, and the issue goes away. I haven't opened my hood since I bought the car, so this doesn't make sense.
  • Cold start, driving up an incline out of my parking garage, car completely stalls out, switches itself into neutral, and displays the following message: "Start/stop required. Defect detected."

At this point I take it to the dealer and they perform 4 ECU updates: Remote start updates (Radio Control Unit), adaptive cruise control updates, two transmission control updates for drivability enhancements, etc.

Good news: the stalling and check engine go away and do not return after I expose the car to the exact same catalyzing conditions (cold start + incline) several times.

Bad news: the car starts exhibiting stumbling/stuttering/shuddering in gears 4 through 8 at 1-1.5K RPMs to the point where it is not drivable at low RPMs, exactly as described here: http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...oblems/9818-engine-stumbles-acceleration.html

So, it's in the shop now and I heard from the dealer that a diagnostic scan revealed the 3rd cylinder is misfiring during certain parts of acceleration. They ran an engine compression test which checked out okay, and are now waiting on further guidance from Alfa on how to proceed, but suspect it might be related to the fuel injectors.

I still love this car and really want to keep loving it, but it's beginning to feel like I was given a Beta product rather than a finished well-performing machine. I intend to slug it out for a few more rounds, and I trust the mechanic who's servicing the vehicle, but it's getting harder and harder to trust the vehicle...

·
Registered
332 Posts
some else here with the exact same issue also had thier fuel injectors replaced and it solved this problem. i am also experiencing the same problem but havent gotten it diagnosed yet but its obvious that its going to be the same problem. i wonder if there are a bad lot of fuel injectors that are causing this.....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Truly hope it all works out and you remain on team Alfa. Your commitment thus far is admirable as I would be extremely frustrated as well but like most of us hear we are so enamored with this car, we are willing to take a few lumps.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
some else here with the exact same issue also had thier fuel injectors replaced and it solved this problem. i am also experiencing the same problem but havent gotten it diagnosed yet but its obvious that its going to be the same problem. i wonder if there are a bad lot of fuel injectors that are causing this.....
Are those Bosch injectors?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you - unfortunately. At exactly 1000 miles, my car stalled, threw the ETC error and wouldn't start. Had to have it towed, this happened on the way home from my 13 year old daughters post surgery appointment. They had it 5 days, I picked it up, no problems until yesterday. Driving through the bank drive through, and it dies on me. The engine would turn, but it absolutely would not fire and start. I had my daughter (who is on crutches and has a full leg cast) and her friend in the car with me. Husband is out of town for work, so I had to call a friend to come pick up the girls.

I live 1.5 hours from the dealership. So it took them 2.5 hours to get to me yesterday. And the entire time I was smack in the middle of the single lane bank drive through, forcing people to back up. Soooo embarrassing. And every single person saw an Alfa Romeo broke down. Great brand advertisement.

I had put 428 miles on it since they "fixed" it before.

I absolutely LOOOOVE this car, and I swear I'm not a paranoid person, but I truly don't trust it now. My husband didn't want me to buy it in the first place, so he's all about getting rid of it...

When I called the dealership (Dave Smith - Coeur d' Alene, I'd) they basically laughed and said I had a real problem. Call me crazy, but I wasn't in the mood. They treated me like a second class citizen. When I asked for the manager, he actually told me he doesn't have a crystal ball so he can't predict these things. When I asked him, how can I trust this car again, he literally didn't say a word and just sat there. I actually had to ask if he was still there.

I hope you get your car fixed and I do to.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the same boat as you - unfortunately. At exactly 1000 miles, my car stalled, threw the ETC error and wouldn't start. Had to have it towed, this happened on the way home from my 13 year old daughters post surgery appointment. They had it 5 days, I picked it up, no problems until yesterday. Driving through the bank drive through, and it dies on me. The engine would turn, but it absolutely would not fire and start. I had my daughter (who is on crutches and has a full leg cast) and her friend in the car with me. Husband is out of town for work, so I had to call a friend to come pick up the girls.

I live 1.5 hours from the dealership. So it took them 2.5 hours to get to me yesterday. And the entire time I was smack in the middle of the single lane bank drive through, forcing people to back up. Soooo embarrassing. And every single person saw an Alfa Romeo broke down. Great brand advertisement.

I absolutely LOOOOVE this car, and I swear I'm not a paranoid person, but I truly don't trust it now. My husband didn't want me to buy it in the first place, so he's all about getting rid of it...

When I called the dealership (Dave Smith - Coeur d' Alene, I'd) they basically laughed and said I had a real problem. Call me crazy, but I wasn't in the mood. They treated me like a second class citizen. When I asked for the manager, he actually told me he doesn't have a crystal ball so he can't predict these things. When I asked him, how can I trust this car again, he literally didn't say a word and just sat there. I actually had to ask if he was still there.

Wow, your experience sounds awful. What date did they first "fix" your car? A few RRT ECU updates were released in July, so if it was before then hopefully the updates they're applying now will fix your problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts

That stinks... hopefully easy fix.. nice to see sensible females appreciating this car as well

·
Registered
93 Posts
About two weeks ago I posted my first impressions of the Giulia Ti Q4 here: http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/2...ion/14546-giulia-ti-q4-first-impressions.html

My assessment was generally positive.

Unfortunately, I may have spoken too soon, as my car has been to the dealer two additional times (and is there now) since I wrote that post. I'm still on team Alfa, but it's getting harder and harder by the issue to remain.

Issues experienced these past two weeks:

• Cold start, driving up an incline out of my parking garage, car starts to violently shudder, goes into limp mode and throws a "Check Engine" light and "Auto Start/Stop Disabled" warning. Gas and brake were not being applied simultaneously. Switching the car off and on forces it into "A" mode with the codes still remaining. A few hours later after reading one of the recommendations on this forum, I open and close my hood, and the issue goes away. I haven't opened my hood since I bought the car, so this doesn't make sense.
  • Cold start, driving up an incline out of my parking garage, car completely stalls out, switches itself into neutral, and displays the following message: "Start/stop required. Defect detected."

At this point I take it to the dealer and they perform 4 ECU updates: Remote start updates (Radio Control Unit), adaptive cruise control updates, two transmission control updates for drivability enhancements, etc.

Good news: the stalling and check engine go away and do not return after I expose the car to the exact same catalyzing conditions (cold start + incline) several times.

Bad news: the car starts exhibiting stumbling/stuttering/shuddering in gears 4 through 8 at 1-1.5K RPMs to the point where it is not drivable at low RPMs, exactly as described here: http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...oblems/9818-engine-stumbles-acceleration.html

So, it's in the shop now and I heard from the dealer that a diagnostic scan revealed the 3rd cylinder is misfiring during certain parts of acceleration. They ran an engine compression test which checked out okay, and are now waiting on further guidance from Alfa on how to proceed, but suspect it might be related to the fuel injectors.

I still love this car and really want to keep loving it, but it's beginning to feel like I was given a Beta product rather than a finished well-performing machine. I intend to slug it out for a few more rounds, and I trust the mechanic who's servicing the vehicle, but it's getting harder and harder to trust the vehicle...
I had the second issue you described. I've found that if you let the car warm up a little it doesn't happen. I'm going in for my updates tomorrow, so I'll report back.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the second issue you described. I've found that if you let the car warm up a little it doesn't happen. I'm going in for my updates tomorrow, so I'll report back.
The stumbling at low RPMs only happens once the engine has warmed up for me. When it's cold the issue is not reproducible.

As an FYI to anyone who is looking for more detailed information about their service case, I highly recommend calling Alfa Romeo Customer Care (844-253-2872). They ironically called me today to congratulate me on my purchase, and I proceeded to explain to them all the issues I was having. They immediately pulled up my case info and gave me far greater detail than my dealer was willing or able to give me. Super helpful. I now have someone from their team actively following up on the case for me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow, your experience sounds awful. What date did they first "fix" your car? A few RRT ECU updates were released in July, so if it was before then hopefully the updates they're applying now will fix your problem.
Went in on July 14, and was called on the 17 that it was fixed. Do you think the updates you're mentioning was after that?

Thank God for this forum! Everyone here is so awesome!!!

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
256 Posts
That stinks... hopefully easy fix.. nice to see sensible females appreciating this car as well
I LOVE this car! My favorite part??? When I peg the gas petal to the floor and just let her do what she was built for. That's why I bought it... love that engine! :grin2:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went in on July 14, and was called on the 17 that it was fixed. Do you think the updates you're mentioning was after that?

Thank God for this forum! Everyone here is so awesome!!!
Unfortunately I think you may already have the latest updates if you brought it in on July 14.

That said, there’s a new update in the works. Latest from my dealer and Alfa Care is that the cylinder misfire is due to electrical/software issues, and there may be an early ECU update they can apply which might correct the problem. Lots of speculation.

Otherwise it’s 1-3 weeks for them to validate the final ECU update which may or may not fix my problem. I’ll be requesting appropriate compensation if I’m out of my car that long. I appreciate the transparency I’m being given, but it’s kind of ridiculous that my 12 year old Infiniti was more reliable than my brand new Alfa with less than 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going through the same issue with my Giulia Ti Q2 with about 1700 miles.

I dropped it off this weekend for the second time, the first was for an issue with the tire pressure monitoring system. I was getting a low tire pressure warning for the right rear tire even though psi readings were similar to other tires. About 5 days ago I started her up and stepped away for a minute to grab something. When I got back, I noticed shuddering/rough idling. The auto 'start/stop disabled' and 'service engine' warning came on. I was not able to switch to other driving modes as well. In addition, the TPMS warning light came on for 3/4 of the tires. I have had a Jeep loaner since this past Saturday, which I am thankful having, but is definitely no Alfa.

So far, the dealership has been good to work with. The sales rep that I worked with has been great at keeping in touch. Alfa Care also contacted me today to make sure I was doing okay and assured me that they are working so I can have my Giulia back. I am hoping that the 'updates' being applied will solve my current issues as I LOVE my Giulia with my only major gripe being the crappy optional HK sound system.

Otherwise, I look forward to updates from this thread as I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm going through the same issue with my Giulia Ti Q2 with about 1700 miles.

I dropped it off this weekend for the second time, the first was for an issue with the tire pressure monitoring system. I was getting a low tire pressure warning for the right rear tire even though psi readings were similar to other tires. About 5 days ago I started her up and stepped away for a minute to grab something. When I got back, I noticed shuddering/rough idling. The auto 'start/stop disabled' and 'service engine' warning came on. I was not able to switch to other driving modes as well. In addition, the TPMS warning light came on for 3/4 of the tires. I have had a Jeep loaner since this past Saturday, which I am thankful having, but is definitely no Alfa.
Did your car keep running? Each time I've had problems, mine shuts off completely and will not start and I have to have it towed.

When was your car built? It is listed in the inside of the drivers door. I bet you a dollar that it's pre April.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did your car keep running? Each time I've had problems, mine shuts off completely and will not start and I have to have it towed.

When was your car built? It is listed in the inside of the drivers door. I bet you a dollar that it's pre April.
I did keep my car running while I stepped away for a about a minute or less. I did notice, that after the car is running/warmed up, that revs drop and feels like it its about to die.

The car is in the dealership right now, but I think I remember it being 3/2017.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hopefully this isn't a foreshadowing of anything... I dreamed last night that oil was somehow leaking into the rear passenger compartment and I was being told it's "normal". :|

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What are the build dates on these cars?

·
Registered
647 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts