Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New owner of a Giulia Ti Q4 here with about 600 miles on it. I've been browsing these forums for a little while and after a month of ownership, I wanted to share my experience with the vehicle.

Before my decision, I spent a solid day test driving different cars: Jaguar XE 35t AWD, Mercedes C300, BMW 330i xDrive, BMW 340i xDrive, Alfa Giulia. In that order. I wasn't expecting much of the Giulia, but it ended up being a no-brainer for me. Odd considering I test drove a 340i - the steering feel just wasn't there. The Jag was my second choice - brilliant exhaust note and steering!

Pros:

- Steering: The feel is second to none. Responsive, connected, tight. Everything the BMW was not, surprisingly.
- Handling: Eerie. Sticks to corners better than my brain will believe, resulting in giddy laughter at the exit.
- Torque: from a low-speed roll, this car flies. The turbo lag doesn't get in the way.
- Transmission: Of the many cars which have a sport mode that I've driven, the Giulia's "D" (Dynamic) is the only one so good that it's the only mode I drive in.
- Looks: Beautiful car. The Montecarlo blue with black/tan interior, optional leather package, and 18" sport package gives the exterior and interior of the car a slightly aggressive class. Love it.
- Safety: I have the static and dynamic safety packages. Didn't think I'd care much for them at first, but they've saved my ass on one occasion already, and the adaptive cruise control is amazing.
- Sound System: I have the premium, but not the Harmon Kardon sound system. I was a little worried at first given what I've read on these forums, but I love it. Sounds excellent.
- Infotainment: It doesn't suck, it's intuitive, and it's a big step up from the no-tainment system of my previous car. No complaints.
- Storage: with seats folded you can pack this car for a long haul trip. Even without the seats folded the trunk storage is decent.
- Paddle Shifters: huge, metal, responsive, fun.
- Sport Seats: Get them.
- Sunroof: There are two!

Cons:

- Static crackling from the speakers when my iPhone is connected via USB. Doesn't happen with a USB drive, so it might be my iPhone. Regardless, this is the most annoying issue yet... because I love the sound otherwise.
- Throttle lag from a stop. From a dead stop, after applying full throttle, the car takes 1-2 seconds to launch. Doesn't ruin the experience, but annoying nonetheless. I recall reading on these forums that the ECU's behavior changes as the mileage increases - we'll see.
- Throttle stumble. At partial throttle at low RPMs, the car sometimes feels like it's going to stall. It hasn't yet, but the feeling doesn't inspire confidence.
- Exhaust note is meh. It has a nice slightly-raspy rumble if you listen carefully, but you have to really listen carefully.
- Ride is a bit rough. Granted, I refuse to drive it in anything but "D" mode without the active damper on, so that may be my own self-inflicted pain. I've read the run-flats may have something to do with this.
- Brake knocking. In one instance and at low speeds the brakes would make a feelable and audible knocking sound. Took it to the dealer and they were able to easily reproduce, but after they further "bedded" the brakes, the issue went away and has not returned.
- Slight squeak when turning the steering wheel. Doesn't happen all the time, but something to keep an eye on.
- Auto start/stop: you suck, and disabling you will forever be one extra step to my startup process.
- While the trunk space and folding seats are awesome, the interior compartment storage space is mediocre at best. Hint: there's a hidden storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel which is easy to miss.
- I can't stop washing, waxing, and driving the car, and my friends and family think I'm weird.

Overall, I love this car. The mostly minor issues are completely worth the driving experience and feeling that you are driving something truly unique in a sea of sameness. Observers have been either 1) awestruck by what I'm driving, or 2) have had no idea what I'm driving. Equally satisfying. The most bizarre experience yet is when a bus driver opened his door at a stop light to inquire with bewilderment: "They sell Alfa's here?! Where is there a dealer?"

Zero regrets... well, maybe one: it's not a QV.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Ciao and welcome Chymerix! Our dealer is hidden on the auto mile in Norwood, MA between the woods and a Kia dealership, right across from the big Central Jeep Chrysler dealer with the massive fort sized Stars and Stripes. :D Central Fiat/Alfa with lots of Giulias, 500s of many types and the 124 Spiders. There was a beautiful Grey Giulia Ti with red interior there a couple weeks ago. It was in back. 2 Quads have been sold from this dealership.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ciao and welcome Chymerix! Our dealer is hidden on the auto mile in Norwood, MA between the woods and a Kia dealership, right across from the big Central Jeep Chrysler dealer with the massive fort sized Stars and Stripes. :D Central Fiat/Alfa with lots of Giulias, 500s of many types and the 124 Spiders. There was a beautiful Grey Giulia Ti with red interior there a couple weeks ago. It was in back. 2 Quads have been sold from this dealership.
Small world - that happens to be the exact dealer from where I leased my Giulia!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Excellent! Did you talk to David? We've gotten along well.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome and what a great write up, spot on from my point of view. Drove most of the same competitors although the Jag didn't impress me as much. My iPhone has no crackles through the system, I would try a different cable. I also have the non HK sound system and like it a lot. Although it's a substantial additional expense aftermarket exhausts are becoming available. Because I have the same reaction you do I'm going to try one and see whether it can add some better noise at the higher rpms without getting objectionable for low speed arround town,
Glad the Giulia worked for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my Giulia Ti Q4 since February ( Hk system). Since the initial drive home, there is a crackling sound from the left front dash speaker when an iPod itouch or iPhone is connected. All other methods of play, including USB drive is fine. I have tried several different cables, including new ones, all with the same result. Of note, the infotainment owners manual advises that iPods, etc. may cause electromagnetic interference. It advises to disconnect if it becomes problematic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.