Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spec: Vulcano Black, yellow calipers, black interior, dark wood trim, 19" Ti Sport (dark 5-hole wheels), performance package

Just got the car this afternoon. Took some night shots right away! Here are some pics and random thoughts:

Ok, so my last car was a front-heavy and understeering VW GTI (Mk5). My first experience of driving the Giulia through sharp curves can best be described as "on-rails". It just sticks to where you want it to turn without any hesitation.

These brakes! Unlike some comments on the forum, I didn't find it hard to modulate at low speeds (maybe the issue is more pronounced with QV's?). It does feel different from traditional hydralic brakes though. To me I think of it more like a different foot pressure to brake force mapping: it's still a static and predictable mapping, just need some time to get used to it!

So many different textures and details in the headlight module. Never noticed the "dot matrix" pattern on the xenon eye ball until I took this picture; not sure what it does but looks pretty cool. Side illumination at low speed turns is a very useful feature.

The paddles!! If you look closer at the photo, the back side of the paddle's stem (where you typically rest your finger on) is actually notched with a very nice curve along the stem. It just feels so good to touch this part of the paddle... I know, this sounds weird but I think the tactile design of the paddles adds so much to the experience and satisfaction. The down side? Stalks are further behind and harder to reach unless you have long fingers.

Love the steering wheel too. Size is on the smaller side, together with the 12:1 steering ratio, much less hand movement is required for a given turning angle compared with typical steering. It's much less physical work to negotiate sharp turns and curves. The 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the wheel are covered by a sort of fabric that's quite nice to the touch. Hopefully it won't fray too easily. Overall I'm very impressed by the ergonomics.

One little detail I wasn't sure before I saw the car in real life was how the "dark gray wood trim" will look/feel. It turns out that they look great with the black interior. It's not polished smooth either, you can actually feel the wood grain textures (similar to Mercedes' wood trim). Now I don't regret not ordering the aluminum trim anymore.

I think the switch gear quality is reasonable, certainly not as bad as some publications are claiming. However the panel where the USB socket is located is not very sturdy, it deflects a little when you try to plug the USB. Just something I noticed in my less than 1hr of seat time.

Speaking of which, the sport leather seats that came with the Ti sport package are really good: tons of side support and they have a large tuning range for lumbar support. I do find the distance between the side bolsters on the narrow side. I have a slim build and find it just about right when adjusted to the widest separation, so this might be an issue for people with a larger build. Definitely try it out before ordering.

Active suspensions:
This is one of the highlights of the performance package. The 2 modes which I compared during my 1 hr seat time today was Dynamic w/ default damping, and Dynamic w/ soft damping. Not sure if this is the correct description, but I do feel like the "high frequency" vibrations (road textures?) are suppressed more with the soft damping settings, while the "low frequency" response of the suspension is not changed too much (thus similar dynamics when cornering). Kind of like adding an extra low-pass filter to the frequency response (you know what I mean if you took electrical engineering). Going over parking lot bumps is also much less harsh with soft damping settings. Keep in mind that my opinion might change with more seat time, especially the part where I think the cornering dynamics are similar between the 2 damper settings - don't take my word for it yet!

Overall, this is all I wanted in a car and more. I can't begin to imagine how awesome the QV's are, but I guess those can wait... maybe after my next promotion? :grin2:

BTW, huge thanks to the team at Alfa/Fiat of San Diego. They have another Q2 Ti which is pretty much spec'd the same as mine coming in a few days. They also have a Quadrifoglio (montecarlo blue) on the show floor which just arrived today. Anyone interested contact Tom and tell him Wei sent you :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention: the Harman Kardon really is quite bad :p
I'll give it some time and see if it improves after breaking in, otherwise might need to look into upgrades... (This is the only aspect that feels like a down grade from my last car)

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,738 Posts
stunning

i say that because i have a Super with a Veloce Pack in Alfa Black and looks almost identical front and side, although i have red calipers, the yellow calipers on a black car looks sensational and is very 2018 LoL

what size tyres are those, are they 225 all round ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stunning

i say that because i have a Super with a Veloce Pack in Alfa Black and looks almost identical front and side, although i have red calipers, the yellow calipers on a black car looks sensational and is very 2018 LoL

what size tyres are those, are they 225 all round ?
Thanks man. Yes you are right, 225 all around. "225/40R19 All Season Performance Tire" according to window sticker
I suspect if I ditch the run flats the handling will be even better. Planning to look into replacements and spare tire solutions when the time comes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great write -up and photos!

Looking forward to your further thoughts after more miles.

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can you write a little bit more about the HK system? What sounds bad about it?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You have a beautiful car!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the write up and thoughts, I'm particularly interested since I have a Ti Q2 on order. I drove the Q4 but in the end felt I would enjoy a RWD with LSD more. Hope you carry on loving yours, keep posting updates.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you write a little bit more about the HK system? What sounds bad about it?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You have a beautiful car!
"Bad" is probably too harsh a word: I'd say B- or B on a letter scale (would rate my previous VW GTI sound B+), certainly not D or F kind of bad.

The comment was echoing some previous discussions on the forum:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/409-electronics/6001-standard-audio-harman-kardon-premium.html
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4.../3954-new-member-finally-owner-giulia-qv.html

To my untrained ear, the system could use some improvement on both end of the spectrum: as it stands the bass doesn't give enough boom, treble clarity also lacking a bit. The perceived sound quality does improve after I crank up the volume. I'll reserve my judgement until maybe 1000 miles in.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the write up and thoughts, I'm particularly interested since I have a Ti Q2 on order. I drove the Q4 but in the end felt I would enjoy a RWD with LSD more. Hope you carry on loving yours, keep posting updates.
Good call on ordering a Ti Q2 :) Will report my findings here, good or bad!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great write up, I have the aluminum trim inside but I am jealous of your dark wood trim. I had a black motorcycle once, swore I'd never own another black vehicle, but I must admit yours is SHARP and the yellow calipers...fantastico! People have said the HK system sounds better over time, like a "break-in" effect. I can't explain it, but I think mine sounds better at 4 weeks old and 1100 miles than it did new. Maybe the materials in the speaker are stiff to need to flex a bit, but I do believe it sounds noticeable better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great write up, photos, car, everything! My car is black too but yours looks much nicer with the yellow calipers.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,738 Posts
with the HK sound,
all full size speakers need a running in period to loosen up the rubbers and diaphragms and allow the tweeter cooling oils to penetrate
this is done with a prolonged low volume running of the speakers, such as light radio or something that doesnt have a high dynamic range

listening at low volume will have the same effect as long as you dont crank up too often at first

over time, not sure how long, but it is hours for a full size speaker, the speaker sound quality will improve

then you have to look at whether the surround sound setting really works in a car or not ... if possible, switch to stereo ... even 5.1 surround HT sounds better in stereo sometimes

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with the HK sound,
all full size speakers need a running in period to loosen up the rubbers and diaphragms and allow the tweeter cooling oils to penetrate
this is done with a prolonged low volume running of the speakers, such as light radio or something that doesnt have a high dynamic range

listening at low volume will have the same effect as long as you dont crank up too often at first

over time, not sure how long, but it is hours for a full size speaker, the speaker sound quality will improve

then you have to look at whether the surround sound setting really works in a car or not ... if possible, switch to stereo ... even 5.1 surround HT sounds better in stereo sometimes
Wow thanks for the tips. Never thought about using low dynamic range source for running in, will refrain from blasting the speakers at least for now.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Super pics! Love it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts