Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed their own oil who owns a Giulia Ti with the 280 hp, I-4 turbocharged gasoline engine? Only car I've ever owned that didn't have the procedure in the owner's manual!

According to what I've read, the car was shipped with Pennzoil Platinum LX Euro 0W-30 oil which meets API service category SN as well as ACEA C2/C3 specs. I've not been able to find any in Columbus OH after checking the usual suspects: Walmart, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA. Advance Auto Parts listed it as IN STOCK at 3 stores but none had it when I stopped in.

The only other oil I've seen that meets all the specs is Mobil 1 X1 ESP 0W-30 which is available locally and on Amazon.

I'd like to know what the procedure is regarding the underbelly cover, the torque spec for the drain plug and does the little ($8) rubber & metal plug washer need to be replaced every time like a crush washer, or can it be reused unless damaged? Any tips or traps?

The Ti apparently uses a spin-on filter. I have found a Mopar oil filter MO-339 and Mobil 1 filter M1-113a that fit according to internet sources. The M1 filter is $10 at Wally World, $15 at the auto parts stores.

Anyone have any thoughts about the Mobil 1 brand vs. Pennzoil brand oil, considering they both meet the viscosity, service category and the European spec for the catalytic converter? There are a few oils that meet the API and ACEA specs but are either 5W-30 or 0W-40 viscosity. I'm not keen on substituting a different viscosity than is recommended. Any thoughts on the subject or source for the Pennzoil brand are appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Has anyone changed their own oil who owns a Giulia Ti with the 280 hp, I-4 turbocharged gasoline engine? Only car I've ever owned that didn't have the procedure in the owner's manual!

According to what I've read, the car was shipped with Pennzoil Platinum LX Euro 0W-30 oil which meets API service category SN as well as ACEA C2/C3 specs. I've not been able to find any in Columbus OH after checking the usual suspects: Walmart, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA. Advance Auto Parts listed it as IN STOCK at 3 stores but none had it when I stopped in.

The only other oil I've seen that meets all the specs is Mobil 1 X1 ESP 0W-30 which is available locally and on Amazon.

I'd like to know what the procedure is regarding the underbelly cover, the torque spec for the drain plug and does the little ($8) rubber & metal plug washer need to be replaced every time like a crush washer, or can it be reused unless damaged? Any tips or traps?

The Ti apparently uses a spin-on filter. I have found a Mopar oil filter MO-339 and Mobil 1 filter M1-113a that fit according to internet sources. The M1 filter is $10 at Wally World, $15 at the auto parts stores.

Anyone have any thoughts about the Mobil 1 brand vs. Pennzoil brand oil, considering they both meet the viscosity, service category and the European spec for the catalytic converter? There are a few oils that meet the API and ACEA specs but are either 5W-30 or 0W-40 viscosity. I'm not keen on substituting a different viscosity than is recommended. Any thoughts on the subject or source for the Pennzoil brand are appreciated.
My local AR dealership wants about 200.00 for an oil change (oil/filter/labor)...for those who want to knock out an early oil change after initial engine break in. I am probably going to have the local AR dealership knock this out for me early next week...if they have the proper Pennzoil in stock.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
just an FYI - I popped into my local Advance Autoparts and they didn't have it out on display, the kind clerk had to dig it out of the back stating "if you need more we have a stack of them". Bring the stock number on the phone and have them rummage for it IMO.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Typically the drain plug can be reused if there is no crush washer on it, if there is a crush washer, just replace that.

As far as the oil goes.. I'm pretty sure using Mobil 1 would be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just an FYI - I popped into my local Advance Autoparts and they didn't have it out on display, the kind clerk had to dig it out of the back stating "if you need more we have a stack of them". Bring the stock number on the phone and have them rummage for it IMO.
I'll try calling with it before I go, three stores where it was reportedly in stock had none on the shelf and none in the back. One clerk did see the Giulia outside and his eyes were popping out of his head, asked if it was a Guilua!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
787 Posts
The ETA on my car is next week, I plan to check out how to do a oil change (of course I'm just looking, will wait to 3or 5k). Omaha Advance Auto claims to have the oil and dealer parts dept has filter for 10 bucks (filters I always use OEM -flow resistance, anti back flow and bypass valves). $200 for oil change is crazy, I do my own for over 50 years and I know it's done right.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"$200 for oil change is crazy, I do my own for over 50 years and I know it's done right."

Couldn't agree with you more!

·
Registered
787 Posts
"$200 for oil change is crazy, I do my own for over 50 years and I know it's done right."

Couldn't agree with you more!
Thanks
Back in the 80's did a oil change with aftermarket filter and had low oil pressure (filter worked too good) replaced with factory and oil pressure was fine. I learned my lession, tech at dealer explained about oil filters to me, I had thought they were just filter media in them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The ETA on my car is next week, I plan to check out how to do a oil change (of course I'm just looking, will wait to 3or 5k). Omaha Advance Auto claims to have the oil and dealer parts dept has filter for 10 bucks (filters I always use OEM -flow resistance, anti back flow and bypass valves). $200 for oil change is crazy, I do my own for over 50 years and I know it's done right.
The 200.00 is due to all the labor time to remove the lower shield and reinstall the lower shield after the oil chage. The shield is full length under lower belly of the car.

This is not a typical oil change where you have easy access to the drain plug and filter...the shield makes the oil change a bit time consuming.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If I had a lift at my house I would do the oil change myself. With my aviation background from the military and airlines I have all the tools (rotary wing pilot, fixed wing pilot, A&P License).

Actually, I will tell my wife we need a new house with double high garage ceiling so I can add a lift to do the Giulia oil changes.

LoL

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The 200.00 is due to all the labor time to remove the lower shield and reinstall the lower shield after the oil chage. The shield is full length under lower belly of the car.

This is not a typical oil change where you have easy access to the drain plug and filter...the shield makes the oil change a bit time consuming.
200 is what I pay for my Range Rover every time, and I believe it's the same for one of my dad's Mercedes (V12). I agree though it does seem a little high, but this is good information! Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
I paid $150 for an oil change at 5,000 miles at the local FCA dealer. I was told they used Pennzoil Euro 0W30. They said it is difficult to find and they plan on using Mopar 0W30 in the future. The tech also said I could use any synthetic 0W30 if I needed to add some oil. What does he know? Mine was the first Alfa they had service. I am not sure I trust them.

·
Registered
787 Posts

wow what "smart" person came up with that, I might look into cutting it so the front came be removed by itself. Or maybe I will skip on this car, it's starting to look like a pain you know where. Why would you engineer something and not think of long term access. I can see that in the 2.9 but not the 2.0 for the market it's aimed at.

Reactions: FX_Hedge

·
Registered
787 Posts
Dealers service manager says "has not done a oil change yet so he does not know if shield covers , expects cost at $200.00 and will need to “At the end of the replacement the "Engine Oil Change" function must be updated using the diagnosis instrument in the engine management control unit environment.” Looked in owners manual and infotainment manual, no mention of resetting oil light. I thought that the gov says you have to be able to take your car to third party (or yourself) as long as you can prove the service was done you won't void warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dealers service manager says "has not done a oil change yet so he does not know if shield covers , expects cost at $200.00 and will need to “At the end of the replacement the "Engine Oil Change" function must be updated using the diagnosis instrument in the engine management control unit environment.” Looked in owners manual and infotainment manual, no mention of resetting oil light. I thought that the gov says you have to be able to take your car to third party (or yourself) as long as you can prove the service was done you won't void warranty.
I'm in New Jersey and when I bought my TI they had a "service plan" available which was nothing more than paying half price for oil changes and tire rotations for a certain number of occasions. They told me I could only purchase this when I purchased the car. Each oil change and tire rotation will cost me $60 total for each visit, for 7 visits (this is the amount I purchased), after 7 visits it will be $120 for both things. I'm surprised to hear the $200 oil change charge. I will most likely provide the oil if they aren't going to be using the Pennzoil. I'll be going for my first oil change at 1K miles in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
As I stated in another thread on this topic, it is always best to top-up your engine oil with the exact same oil that is currently in the engine. The Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 is made from natural gas, not crude oil. More information about this oil can be found at:
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...ro_LX_SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf
If you can't find this oil, it is best to use another oil that conforms to the stated factory standard: Fiat 9.55535.GS1 ( DS1 for Giulia diesel engines). This designation can be found on the oil container, or the oil manufactures web site specification page. A web search turns-up several sources for engine oil that conforms to the Fiat standard. More information about oil specifications can be found at (where else!) www.oilspecifications.org

Reactions: FX_Hedge

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just went by the dealer and looked (laid on the ground, the car sits pretty low) under a QV and TI and no the under body shield does not cover the whole bottom, just under the engine like all the other cars I have had and can be done on the ground with a floor jack and stands. Now if when I get the car I'll see about reset counter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts