Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the TI 19-Inch Sport Package with the Ti Performance Package. So I've owned the Giulia TI AWD for a little over 3 months already. I Absolutely love the car but I noticed that the turning Radius is piss poor compare to my previous BMW 2008 335XI and even to a 2015 Toyota Rav4. There's a turn into my drive way that I make all the time with the BMW and Toyota in 1 shot with no issue, but with the Giulia, it's a 2 shot. Another instance is when i'm making a sharp U Turn on a 2 lane road. It's really displeasing.

Anyone have complaints?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I got the TI 19-Inch Sport Package with the Ti Performance Package. So I've owned the Giulia TI AWD for a little over 3 months already. I Absolutely love the car but I noticed that the turning Radius is piss poor compare to my previous BMW 2008 335XI and even to a 2015 Toyota Rav4. There's a turn into my drive way that I make all the time with the BMW and Toyota in 1 shot with no issue, but with the Giulia, it's a 2 shot. Another instance is when i'm making a sharp U Turn on a 2 lane road. It's really displeasing.

Anyone have complaints?

Check out another thread about this...

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/9...steering-response-tighter-turning-radius.html

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, I have complaints!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No, I would not compromise response for turning radius. Unles you have a situation like the OP, it's something that doesn't effect me that much.

·
Registered
160 Posts
AWD and front wheel drive cars have the same limitations. In order to deliver power to the front wheels and still allow them to turn with the steering wheel there are constant velocity joints on the front wheel drive shafts. There is a limit to the angle that these joints can operate at.

The turning circle limitation has nothing to do with the steering ratio so you can't trade off one for the other.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,723 Posts
AWD and front wheel drive cars have the same limitations. In order to deliver power to the front wheels and still allow them to turn with the steering wheel there are constant velocity joints on the front wheel drive shafts. There is a limit to the angle that these joints can operate at.

The turning circle limitation has nothing to do with the steering ratio so you can't trade off one for the other.
Maximum steering angle may also be limited by the need for the front tires to not rub anything. The suspension may also have a limited range of movement. Additionally the steering linkage may have limitations. Without something from engineering or measurements made on a car it is not so straightforward to say what is limiting the steering angle.

Also, the longer the wheel base and the wider the wheel base the larger the curb-to-curb turning circle for a given steering angle.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"Also, the longer the wheel base and the wider the wheel base the larger the curb-to-curb turning circle for a given steering angle."

...But clearly that doesn't apply to the Giulia as it has neither a long wheel base nor a wide wheel base.....I suspect the constant velocity joints as the limiting factor just as is the case in my FWD 164 S.....

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,723 Posts
"Also, the longer the wheel base and the wider the wheel base the larger the curb-to-curb turning circle for a given steering angle."

...But clearly that doesn't apply to the Giulia as it has neither a long wheel base nor a wide wheel base.....I suspect the constant velocity joints as the limiting factor just as is the case in my FWD 164 S.....
My FWD Protege has a smaller curb-to-curb turning circle than Giulia.

Protege Wheel base 102.8" turning circle: 34.1' (Edmunds.com*)
Giulia Wheel base 111" turning circle 35.4' (from MacGeek)

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/9...eering-response-tighter-turning-radius-2.html
* Edmunds does not say if this is curb to curb or wall to wall

By this it seems that Giulia has the sharper steering angle if I use the following approximation:
34.1*111/102.8 = 36.8

I don't think there is anything to complain about turning wise for either of these vehicles.

Compare with my truck and it's ridiculously wide turning circle:
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab long bed: Wheel base 134.7" turning circle 52.3' curb to curb.
52.3*111/134.7 = 43

Note that Giulia has a much sharper steering angle than the truck. The truck has very large diameter tires and U joints on the front half-shafts, limiting the maximum steering angle that it can manage. I avoid tight parking lots and making U-turns with the truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts