Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The structural material used in the instrument and door panels it is called "Nafilean".
Nefilean is a bio composite material that's lighter than traditional materials and is made with 20% hemp fibers, reinforced polypropylene compound and is designed for automotive structural parts made by the injection molding process.
The supplier of the parts is Faurecia, (who also supply Rolls Royce and BMW), while the manufacturer is APM (Automotive Performance Materials).

http://www.apm-planet.com/products/nafilean/what-is-nafilean/

http://www.faurecia.com/en/iaa-2015-faurecia-equips-alfa-romeo-giulia

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
"Integrated Brake System"

Giulia's "Integrated brake system" is based on the Continental MK C1, that is an electro-hydraulic system that combines the functions of three "traditional" different systems: brake actuation, booster and control systems (ABS, ESC) .

It allows for very fast response times, down to 120 ms from the 800 ms of a "traditional" system.
Going from a 800 ms to a 120 ms response time = 9 m (29.5 ft) less space to go from 50 km/h (31 mph), to a full stop.
This performances allows an easier integration with ADAS (advanced driver assistance system) needs.

http://www.continental-automotive.c...cars/chassis_safety/ved/brems_systeme_en.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The V6 engine block and heads for Alfa Romeo Giulia are produced by Mazzucconi. They are well known for the production of aluminum engine blocks for BMW (for example B48), Volvo and Porsche.
http://www.mazzucconi.com/prodotti#

And compare it with Ferrari V8 that's in the California T:

·
Registered
64 Posts
That carbon fiber driveshaft is ideal. Drastically reduced rotational mass compared to your standard. This is cool though, to be able to see where everything comes from. Thanks !

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,444 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. Interesting that dual dry clutch is listed. I wasn't aware the Giulia used one.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. Interesting that dual dry clutch is listed. I wasn't aware the Giulia used one.
It doesn't: the DDCT option has been canceled during development.
I remember when the Dart was slated to receive a DDCT and evaluations led to instead purchasing a conventional automatic transmission from Hyundai (AKA Powertech America).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any reason why?
DCT transmissions in general (and dry clutch’s even more) tend to have a jerky startup. Through lots of engineering and tuning, the VW group has been able to smoothen this in their products but it seems that this is difficult and expensive. At the same time, there has been great progress by ZF in their conventional automatics (in faster shift times and their ability to lock the torque converter at very low speeds) that the justification for DCT’s has been greatly diminished as you can get the best of both worlds with conventional automatics. Even the new BMW M5 is coming with the same ZF as the Quadrifoglio. More extreme cars like Ferraris and Porsches will have DCT’s at least for now. Some of this is speculation on my part, but you get the drift.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
The DCT in my mother's Ford Focus is awful. I'd rather have one of the better CVTs.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
"Integrated Brake System"

Giulia's "Integrated brake system" is based on the Continental MK C1, that is an electro-hydraulic system that combines the functions of three "traditional" different systems: brake actuation, booster and control systems (ABS, ESC) .

It allows for very fast response times, down to 120 ms from the 800 ms of a "traditional" system.
Going from a 800 ms to a 120 ms response time = 9 m (29.5 ft) less space to go from 50 km/h (31 mph), to a full stop.
This performances allows an easier integration with ADAS (advanced driver assistance system) needs.

http://www.continental-automotive.c...cars/chassis_safety/ved/brems_systeme_en.html

Most likely the 800mS number for a "traditional" system is only for the ABS. Brake actuation and booster responses are for all intents instantaneous in a traditional hydraulic system. I wonder if there is a delay in the actuation and booster response that wouldn't be there with a traditional system?

Compare with the pneumatic brakes found on large trucks. These have a significant actuation delay (there is no booster, btw) that is increases the farther back the axle is from the brake actuation valve. They also have a limited number of actuations per unit time.

Hmmm, I wonder if the electronics in the Giulia braking system can overheat if the driver goes on and off the brakes rapidly for a long period of time?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts