Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but when slow moving with almost full lock on there's a sort of bumping sound from the front wheels? Its fine on normal roads feels tight and planted but tight slow sharp turns throw this noise and feedback through the steering wheel. I borrowed a courtesy car which showed similar characteristics also.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but when slow moving with almost full lock on there's a sort of bumping sound from the front wheels? Its fine on normal roads feels tight and planted but tight slow sharp turns throw this noise and feedback through the steering wheel. I borrowed a courtesy car which showed similar characteristics also.
That's not abnormal for any car actually. It only happens at full lock. It's caused by the front tires not being pointed in the correct direction for the arc they're on. There's nothing that can be done about it. It's a rather lengthy and involved explanation as to all the in's and out's about how the steering geometry works and why.

You could go to an independent alignment and insure that the wheels are aligned correctly. They will insure that the alignment is correct while going straight. The sharper you turn the wheel, the more incorrect the wheels will be. That's not usually a problem. At 'racing' speed, the inside tire is barely touching the ground and it doesn't matter what direction it points. At normal speeds, you're not turning sharp enough for this to be an issue. It isn't until parking lot speeds that the wheels get turned so sharp they can hop.

Some cars have the steering lock adjusted so the tires can't turn so sharp that they start hopping. This isn't the other steering lock that prevents a thief from steering your car without a key.

Some cars have been designed in such a way that the wheels won't get off-arc enough to hop. But, they drive like crap at speed in the canyons. It's a trade off. I prefer the better handling at speed and seldom experience the parking lot hop anyway. My 4C has this hop. Some call it the racer's hop. lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Happens quite badly on Ferraris also. As RacerZ said, it's a function of the steering geometry. Remember many of the Giulia team came from Ferrari.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's not abnormal for any car actually. It only happens at full lock. It's caused by the front tires not being pointed in the correct direction for the arc they're on. There's nothing that can be done about it. It's a rather lengthy and involved explanation as to all the in's and out's about how the steering geometry works and why.

You could go to an independent alignment and insure that the wheels are aligned correctly. They will insure that the alignment is correct while going straight. The sharper you turn the wheel, the more incorrect the wheels will be. That's not usually a problem. At 'racing' speed, the inside tire is barely touching the ground and it doesn't matter what direction it points. At normal speeds, you're not turning sharp enough for this to be an issue. It isn't until parking lot speeds that the wheels get turned so sharp they can hop.

Some cars have the steering lock adjusted so the tires can't turn so sharp that they start hopping. This isn't the other steering lock that prevents a thief from steering your car without a key.

Some cars have been designed in such a way that the wheels won't get off-arc enough to hop. But, they drive like crap at speed in the canyons. It's a trade off. I prefer the better handling at speed and seldom experience the parking lot hop anyway. My 4C has this hop. Some call it the racer's hop. lol
Thanks very much for that, makes perfect sense. As you say, driving on normal roads its perfect and only manifests itself on sharp parking turns or similar. Thanks again :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Enzo Ferarri work for Alfa Romeo long before he started his own company, Ferarri. Enzo was a race driver for AR, then ran the racing development section at AR. Eventually, a differance of opinion led to Enzo leaving AR and starting Ferarri.

That's always a question of wonder for me when people talk about Ferarri vs Alfa Romeo and who helped who. Currently, Fiat owns both Alfa and Ferarri. Parent & child? or siblings? Ahh, just one big happy family with all the normal problems.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yup I can confirm both. My Miata also has it and was just aligned last month after my frame work. I got it close myself, but it needs to go on the machine to dial in the proper toe. Feels great now under normal conditions, just like old times. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have this but already at half lock by my QV sometimes. At my 4C its coming only at full lock. But the grip in curves is really much better as in 4 C.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,016 Posts
Enzo Ferarri work for Alfa Romeo long before he started his own company, Ferarri. Enzo was a race driver for AR, then ran the racing development section at AR. Eventually, a differance of opinion led to Enzo leaving AR and starting Ferarri.

That's always a question of wonder for me when people talk about Ferarri vs Alfa Romeo and who helped who. Currently, Fiat owns both Alfa and Ferarri. Parent & child? or siblings? Ahh, just one big happy family with all the normal problems.
and then Ferruccio Lamborghini who was building tractors at the time bought a Ferrari and complained to Enzo about the clutch and gearbox, decided to modify it with one of his gearboxes and Lamborghini 350 GTV was born

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...T-8t7TAhXGkpQKHa_7BvkQsAQIMA&biw=1920&bih=899

after the 1973 oil crisis, and slump in sales, Chrysler took control of Lamborghini

one of those Italian blokey rivalry things, "your gearbox is ****" ... "well see if you can do any better" LoL

maybe they both missed the steering issue ;-)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes! Alfa Link. And yes this steering set up IS used on most sports cars. The new virtual axle and tall double wishbone set up of the Alfa Link is brand new, proprietary and will make Alfa Romeo very competitive in the sporty small and mid size sector. I spent a few hours at work yesterday researching this. There are only two published pictures of front and rear suspension for the Giulia. If any of you are working on your cars and have the wheels off, please take a pic and post it. The Ackerman angle can be thought of as a controlled drift of one of the front wheels with the actual goal of reducing understeer and not promoting it. Interesting, and if you look at a traditional sports car front end, being turned to full lock, you can see the Ackerman angle appear about half way past center and then out to full lock.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,016 Posts
LOL can assure you that's a forum bug! :D
who? me? yes i do bug people a lot LoL

that happens to me a lot, i think its the way you hold your phone, i found if you open the pic in Microsoft Pic Manager, it will open sideways as well, just simply tilt it to the right/left and save, it should then load the right way up ;-)

will a lower tyre pressure relieve some of it or the other way around ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Cardinal sin of mixing Apple and windows! Thx for switching. Anyone that's reading in bed can enjoy mine ;)

No dont think the pressure will do anything it's more mechanical imo. Kind of feels like its rubbing against the wheel arch and sticking but its not

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hey Dave,

That was the very issue which brought me to the forum. I took mine to the dealer and they provided a service announcement. Turns out it's a feature! :D

Cheers

Andy
LMAO

Who wrote that? Marketing? Only marketing can turn a mistake/oversight into a "feature".

Actually, it's an acceptable compromise. A but of wheel hop, only at very slow speed, only at full lock and much much better handling at speed in the twisties. Or, remove the hop and remove the better handling. Tough call really.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
735 Posts
997 is the same

1 - 20 of 38 Posts