Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Sacramento area and we have pretty bad roads here. Which car would be better for bad roads?

Normally, I would think the Sport would be better with 18" wheels vs Ti's 19". However, the Ti Sport can be equipped with adaptive dampers. Do the adaptive dampers make it softer than the Sport?

In general, is the Ti Sport a must have or would a Sport be just as enjoyable a car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The sport with the 18in wheels rode a whole lot better in my opinion. I currently have a ti with the 19in package. The 18s handle sublimely but also do a better job at soaking up the pavement.

The main drawback to the non ti sport trim is that you are stuck with the base seats.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have the Sport and the only Giulia I drove (didn't even test drive mine) was the Ti Sport, I see no difference other than the obvious things like smaller wheels/larger sidewall makes it a little more comfy

Unless you're loading the car up with tons of Ti specific options, or just want to spend the money, I don't really see the added value for me (I was on a relatively tight budget and needed to determine needs/wants)

·
Registered
76 Posts
My ti Sport actually came with the 18” wheels...it handles our pothole covered roads really well and I think it looks very cool.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
However, the Ti Sport can be equipped with adaptive dampers. Do the adaptive dampers make it softer than the Sport?
The adaptive dampers are actually pretty magical. They "settle the car down" really well on rougher roads.

Don't forget you also get a mechanical limited slip differential with the Performance Package that includes the adaptive dampers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insights. The main thing I care about are the sport seats and it looks like the only way to get those would be to get the Ti with the 19” wheels. That’s unfortunate. I don’t really care about the Ti-specific packages other than the seats.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the base sport and like the base seats and the bad roads in sac/ concord aren't bad at all with the 18 in wheels. Generally very low profile tires like the 19s do have a harsher ride.

I originally looked for a Ti sport but they didn't have one in stock but had a loaded base sport which had the options I wanted so I got that. Very happy with the car so far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The adaptive dampers are actually pretty magical. They "settle the car down" really well on rougher roads.

Don't forget you also get a mechanical limited slip differential with the Performance Package that includes the adaptive dampers.
Never had a car with LSD so don't know what I have been missing. It feels like people who have had it think it's a must-have feature...a different type of LSD addiction. :D

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have the active suspension on my Ti and love it. I leave it in D mode with the stiffer suspension. The softer setting is just to soft. Sometimes I'd like the suspension to be a bit stiffer actually. We have plenty of bad roads around here and I don't baby my car(s). Soft suspension is not what you need on bad roads.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts

Joe,

Do you have any idea regarding how to acquire a duplicate set of those magical shocks for a tolerable price, for use in modding them?

I'll have to agree with you rather than Racer Z, on a rough road you need soft suspension, and the active suspension provides a soft suspension without the stability issues associated a simply soft setup.

In the extreme case notice trophy truck suspension, which is designed to cope with the roughest roads/non-roads; the suspension is extremely soft. Soft suspension protects your wheels/tires from pinch damage and keeps the tires in contact with the pavement. It isn't very good for handling feel though, so the selectable damping rate on Giulia is a good thing so that the driver can take advantage of good roads.

On a related point I observe that West bound I-580 in California (Altamont pass) which was repaved 6 months ago (after a call for an investigation into why the road was in such poor repair) and already is falling apart, particularly at the I-205 interchange. It is so bad I have to wonder if Giulia's 19" wheels can cope.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts
My Giulia has 19" wheels, and I am surprised at how good the ride is. I did not notice any improvement when my 18" winter shoes went on. Last night I hit a crater left from a water main break. Very dramatic, but the car handled it well. Would the result have been different with the 19" mounted? I hope never to find out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On a related point I observe that West bound I-580 in California (Altamont pass) which was repaved 6 months ago (after a call for an investigation into why the road was in such poor repair) and already is falling apart, particularly at the I-205 interchange. It is so bad I have to wonder if Giulia's 19" wheels can cope.
This happens around here all the time. By the time they finish repaving a stretch of road, the place they started is usually starting to develop potholes. This has to be one of two things -- they are not paying enough to get the right job done, or they are paying and the money is being eaten by some folks who play by a different set of ethics than we are taught.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tested both the TI and the Sport and had the opportunity to spend a couple hundred miles with each of them back to back. I found the Sport with 18s a bit more sensitive and choppy to small road imperfections where the TI with the Performance Package with Adaptive Suspension, LS and 19s was a significantly better quality ride. I opted for the TI. Still worry about chuck holes cause I blew tire in a R32 with Bridgestone 19s years ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tested both the TI and the Sport and had the opportunity to spend a couple hundred miles with each of them back to back. I found the Sport with 18s a bit more sensitive and choppy to small road imperfections where the TI with the Performance Package with Adaptive Suspension, LS and 19s was a significantly better quality ride. I opted for the TI. Still worry about chuck holes cause I blew tire in a R32 with Bridgestone 19s years ago.
Was R32 a lot firmer/less compliant than the adaptive suspension in the Ti?

The largest tire size I have ever had is 18" (F30 M sport) on my current car. Prior to that I had 17" (F30 base) and before that 16" (E46 base). I don't like the tire size creep. My car with 16" wheels handled better than any of the others and was a lot more comfortable to boot.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Joe,

Do you have any idea regarding how to acquire a duplicate set of those magical shocks for a tolerable price, for use in modding them?

I'll have to agree with you rather than Racer Z, on a rough road you need soft suspension, and the active suspension provides a soft suspension without the stability issues associated a simply soft setup.

In the extreme case notice trophy truck suspension, which is designed to cope with the roughest roads/non-roads; the suspension is extremely soft. Soft suspension protects your wheels/tires from pinch damage and keeps the tires in contact with the pavement. It isn't very good for handling feel though, so the selectable damping rate on Giulia is a good thing so that the driver can take advantage of good roads.

I don't disagree with you @lockem, in fact you make some excellent points. My point of reference in regards to the Ti suspension though is that in the soft setting the bump-stops were getting pounded at times. Hitting the bump-stops is never a fun or pleasant thing. In the stiffer setting, the car rides very smooth on the same roads and seldom hits the bump-stops. I suppose I could drive slower, or slow down at certain bumps, but...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
I don't disagree with you @lockem, in fact you make some excellent points. My point of reference in regards to the Ti suspension though is that in the soft setting the bump-stops were getting pounded at times. Hitting the bump-stops is never a fun or pleasant thing. In the stiffer setting, the car rides very smooth on the same roads and seldom hits the bump-stops. I suppose I could drive slower, or slow down at certain bumps, but...
You are supposed to stay on the pavement, otherwise you might be driving too fast :)

Are you sure you don't have too much pressure in your 255 35r19 tires?

If AR would get off their keister and send me my car I could have some experience to report. I presume that the car has a reasonable amount of suspension travel. The key to making the trophy truck suspension work is the 18" (or so) of suspension travel that goes with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The big issue is dealing with unexpected potholes. It may not always be possible to slow down enough. Often the pavement is just generally very poor and there are few big potholes scattered in random places. If I know where they are, I try to avoid the lane with the pothole(s), but on unfamiliar roads this is not possible.

I have had many instances where I thought I'd have bent a rim with my current car (2015 328i), but fortunately not (or at least not enough to affect handling). It does have adaptive dampers and I'm always in comfort mode unless I'm having fun on a winding road.

19" just seems like too much tire and I think they should have reserved that as separate option. Even the M3 has 18" wheels standard. The M2 has 19" wheels standard and the ride is known to be punishingly stiff, not suitable as a daily driver for bad roads.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.