1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Time will tell..... I guess.....

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yeah time. Why does every bit of news have to do with waiting some more? I already have to wait, but this bit of news means that I could wait some more for a coupe AND price cuts due to poor sales, regardless. Augh.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Sales Figures

2017 Europe Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

Jan - 1933
Feb - 2005
Mar - 2751
Apr - 2096
Total - 8785

2017 USA Alfa Romeo Giulia Sales:-

Jan - 70
Feb - 412
Mar - 484
Apr - 634
May - 883
Total - 2483

2017 Italy Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

Jan - 766
Feb - 755
Mar - 887
Apr - 708
May - 1339
Total - 4455

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere...but this is all models of Giulia
Apparently there is a fellow on FerrariChat who must be well dialed into FCA in Italy...and he seems to know things before they hit....these sales figures however were posted by someone else

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Thanks M I forgot to look there.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By contrast, BMW USA sales for 3 series/ 4 series is:

January 5,976
February 7,220
March 9,521
April 7,376
May 8,348

Interesting to also note that BMW USA sales for these cars have been declining big time since 2015, but 2017 is on pace for even less sales than 2014!

Part of the explanation is buyers flocking to small SUVs

·
Registered
75 Posts
2017 Europe Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

Jan - 1933
Feb - 2005
Mar - 2751
Apr - 2096
Total - 8785

2017 USA Alfa Romeo Giulia Sales:-

Jan - 70
Feb - 412
Mar - 484
Apr - 634
May - 883
Total - 2483

2017 Italy Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

Jan - 766
Feb - 755
Mar - 887
Apr - 708
May - 1339
Total - 4455

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere...but this is all models of Giulia
Apparently there is a fellow on FerrariChat who must be well dialed into FCA in Italy...and he seems to know things before they hit....these sales figures however were posted by someone else

The european numbers are wrong, apart that they are of EU and EFTA* markets, also the italian sales doesn't include Giulia Quadrifoglio sales as UNRAE has Giulia Quadrifoglio as a separate model.

2017 Italy Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:

Jan - 766 + 27Q = 793
Feb - 755 + 29Q = 784
Mar - 887 + 29Q = 916
Apr - 708 + 20Q = 728
May - 1339 + 35Q = 1374

2017 Italy Alfa Romeo Stelvio sales:

Jan 0
Feb 171
Mar 443
Apr 613
May 935

2017 EU27** + Efta2*** Alfa Romeo Giulia Sales:

Jan 1.933 + 105 = 2.036
Feb 1.807 + 132 = 1.939
Mar 2.568 + 177 = 2.737
Apr 1.995 + 101 = 2.096

2017 EU27** + Efta2*** Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sales:

Jan 0
Feb 171 + 19 = 190
Mar 1.061 + 80 = 1.141
Apr 1.301 + 115 = 1.416

* EFTA countries = Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein
** data for 27 of the 28 EU markets according to JATO
*** data for 2 of the 4 EFTA markets: Norway and Switzerland

We will not see Giulia top sales before 2019, in Europe the 2/3 of its segment are fleet sales, and may 2017 almost a year after the launch, is the first month of sales in Italy with an important percentage of fleet sales, in the most important market for premium sedans in Europe, the UK the 90% of the sales are fleet sales and we need to wait until the end of the year to see the the first important contracts of fleet sales as Giulia is in the british market less than 6 months.
Stelvio will surpass Giulia in Europe easily as there's a private buyers SUV frenzy, think that in the first 4 months of the year the 66% of the Maseratis sold in EU and EFTA countries are Levante.
The EMEA markets should absorb the 40% of Alfa sales and the rest of the world including NAFTA, China, APAC, India and South America the 60% of global sales, but they need time, to launch the car in all markets, make a dealer network from 0 in many countries, test it, expand it, have the necessary stock if needed and offer premium services, and at last win a part of the fleet market.
Giulia seems to be on target in EMEA* regions as 40% of 75-100k = 30-40k/annum = 2.5k-3.3k/month

*EMEA = Europe**, Middle East, Africa

**including Russia,Ukraine,Turkey etc.

but they need a lot of time for global sales, we could argue about in january 2020, after the first complete year of sales globally

p.s. in 2016 EU+Efta markets absorbed the 18,7% of Maserati sales versus 35,3% of US market and 28% of China, and in Q1/2017 China is the first market for the trident thanks to Levante, this is the paradigm for Alfa

·
Registered
57 Posts
The UK are making a right mess of Giulia, Quad excluded, as documented elsewhere. Their sales are flat despite the new model's introduction, and usually down 20% each month year-on-year. It just shows how much is dependent on national departments, which will be one of FCA's key challenges.

·
Registered
75 Posts
At last you can't sale the cars you don't produce, until late march there was a single shift of 250 cars/day in Giorgio production line in Cassino, in late March they added a second shift and doubled the production, and the first effects of this appear partly in May sales, in May also the shift production increased from 250 to 300 cars/shift

Giorgio (Giulia/Stelvio) production line, Cassino

production until late march: 1 shift of 250 cars = 250 cars/day = 5 days/week = 1.250 cars/week
production from late March until early May: 2 shifts x 250 cars/shift = 500 cars/day = 2.500 cars/week
production from early May: 2 shifts x 300 cars/shift = 600 cars/day = 3.000 cars/week

and they plan to add a third shift in Q3/2017 after the launch of Stelvio in major markets like USA and China.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Based upon my personal experience, AR (and FCA) will need to make some adjustments to the US market.

Namely, learn how to sell to the US consumer.

If you want to double or triple your current production of the Giulia you CANNOT have consumers waiting months and months for their vehicle. The segment the Giulia is targeting (Audi, BMW, MB) have vehicles available NOW for purchase. Furthermore it seems inter-dealer exchanges is no problem with the competition. With AR, wow... I've never seen anything like it. No dealer trades.

FCA cannot produce an "exclusive" vehicle and expect to have 100k+ sales. Won't happen.

Finally, AR USA needs to change their website search feature. Okay, so no dealer trades, as a consumer I should be able to easily search what is available in the USA. AR USA website is "within 250 miles". I only found our Q due to other members contacting me. They knew what was for sale in their local area -- I had no way to conduct any nationwide search.

At this current pace and the way AR handles themselves in the USA, I don't see this getting past 4-5 years before the plug is pulled.

Again, this is my personal experience dealing with AR. I've been told "that's how the Italian's do it". Fine, but you certainly won't sell 50,000 cars in USA without making some adjustments to the market.

0:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think the article is a bit biased, though not completely without merit.. My take is back in Jan-April the Alfa dealers had limited supply of cars, so weren't anxious to give up any profits, so pricing was pretty high. Combine that with no factory lease program worth mentioning, and limited advertising so sales were a trickle.

Now I"m seeing more factory incentives, and (lots) more inventory. When I bought in early March there were less than 15 2.0's on dealer lots in Washington state. Now there are close to 100.. So the sales push is just beginning. I would expect volumes to increase fairly markedly over summer and fall.

Throw in the teething pains of the Alfa dealerships and it makes sense on why things haven't been a blow out. On the Quad side it's different as supply is so low it's a controlled market for the most part.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I am not sure why people expect that Giulia will ever match Bmw or Audi in sales numbers......in my opinion it will never come even close.....Alfa is an enthusiast brand even in EU and outside of Italy you can drive for days without seeing even an older one, it is of course more common in Italy but even that is mostly in smaller classes like Giulietta and mostly Mito.

Bmw heavily subsidizes their leases and the whole thing is basically a Ponzi scheme, you are de facto leasing a car that should, if purchased cost much less....as long as they roll new lease out constantly that works but music can stop....for example Audi leases are much higher than BMW's even though cars are comparably priced and residual values are within couple of percent....Alfa simply can not affort such discounts probably and is quite honestly never going to...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts