Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New AR Giulia owner here. The model I purchased came with the upgraded 8.8 screen, but no Satellite/NAV. I'd like to add the Sat/VAN components through the dealership but they are having trouble locating parts/kits since the Giulia is so new. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brew. I read through some of your other posts but cannot find recent info on Carplay for the Giulia.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
PC, and does carplay and android auto display on the LCD? I mean like google drive or ways remotely? Bigger screen is better than phone.

Quick search, YES, that was easy ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just rented a new Camaro that had CarPlay and it worked great.
Does anyone know as a fact that a software update will be available for model year 2017 cars, or will there be a hardware change required?

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here is the article / interview with Alfa CO Roberto Fedeli
http://www.automoto.it/news/alfa-st...er-166-e-giulietta-a-trazione-posteriore.html
(use Chrome & Google translate)

... June we will have an update for multimedia systems that will bring on board Giulia and Stelvio CarpLay Apple and Android Auto "
"We started from scratch With Julia and Stelvio. And when parts from scratch you have to make choices, because the resources can not be endless. We, who are Alfa Romeo , we chose aluminum for the suspension, the engine and the chassis, carbon fiber drive shaft, a steering system with a more direct ratio of the category and a featherweight compared to others. You can not have everything at once with such an ambitious project. At first we wanted to create a true Alfa, all to drive and so different from all the others. Now, slowly, they will also come all the hottest technologies, including remote upgrades in Tesla-style infotainment. "
Since he says it will be an update and later mentions Tesla-style remote updates, I presume it will just be a SW update.
I read elsewhere (CNET article) that all models of the infotainment system would get it, but we won't know until it's finally out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice to hear that CarPlay is coming soon from another source in addition to the salesman who has been helping me with my special order Ti !
All along, he has been great. He told me to save my $$ on Nav since he thought CarPlay/Android Auto would be coming out before too long. I had done some looking online and finally found that the Giulia NAV system was from TomTom. I have that in my current (2014) Mazda6. It sucks. (TomTom, not the Mazda6). The graphics look nice, the maps are pretty darn accurate, but inputting the route is about as much fun as a root canal.... and takes about as long. Voice commands for input are almost NEVER accurate- Me: "321 S Maplewood" Car Nav: "You want to go to Botswana? If this is correct say yes." I swear, it will drive you to fits of Tourets. Pun intended. I wouldn't buy it again unless there were HUGE improvements. Garmin is quite a bit better, esp the Nuvi models. But my Google maps is even better and I can input the destination in about 1/20 of the time it takes to spin that dial on the center console to "type" in the address.

Long story short: Don't waste your $$$ on Nav. I've seen an aftermarket "radio" with CarPlay and it's great.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I rented a new Camaro last week.
As I am used to with rentals, I put my destination on my phone.
I plugged the USB cable to the Camaro and my phone asked if I wanted to install CarPlay.
B-O-O-M
From there it was on the car screen and worked and looked perfect.
I highly recommend it - was impressed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We have new Volvo XC90. It was update at dealer for free to CarPlay about 6 months after we bought car.

I like Apple products. CarPlay is good, but not a must have.

The map integration appears in a small window, it doesn't take over your whole screen like a native immigration would.

If you use iTunes it's pretty good as well, but frankly it's only marginally better than sticking your phone on your dashboard.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Interesting - on the Camaro it was full screen.
Even got rid of the outside temp display...

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I rented a new Camaro last week.
As I am used to with rentals, I put my destination on my phone.
I plugged the USB cable to the Camaro and my phone asked if I wanted to install CarPlay.
B-O-O-M
From there it was on the car screen and worked and looked perfect.
I highly recommend it - was impressed.
I get quite a few rentals at work, pretty amazing the amount of people their leave their phone book/call history on the console :grin2: looking fwd to car play too! I avoided the GPS in the car as I have it in my SUV and deem it a waste of money... never as good as Waze which has saved my ass countless times

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
Alfa Customer Care is playing safe by saying they have nothing regarding Carplay coming to the giulia.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes, on the Volvo and other vehicles, the CarPlay preserves a sidebar (or top bar) for other menu items native to the vehicle's own info unit, such as a nav button, climate button, phone button, etc. and usually these buttons take up a fair amount of space, and relegate the CarPlay functiob to non-full screen.

Every car maker has flexibility to integrate CarPlay how they want, but the major save 'real estate' on the screen for their native functions.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the non-satellite radio unit (that has navigation capability) into a satellite radio capable unit?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts